3.17/173 What do I do now? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: 3.17/173 What do I do now?

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:56 pm

firemed wrote:
sanetruth wrote:The advice ITT is terrible. Especially the guy who said throw apps to 51-100? With that LSAT, even if you're not looking to pay sticker, you'll get a full ride in somewhere in the T50. Don't even bother with 51-100.
First off, a lot of the advice in this thread is quite good. Second off:

I said strong regionals in the 51-100. Not all of them... that would be a waste with OP's numbers (other than to rack up a crapload of acceptances if he/she wants to wallpaper the room or something). I did recommend every school in the T10-T50. There is no guarantee that someone in the T50 is going to give him/her full ride... likely, maybe, which is why I told OP to apply there... but a strong regional ranked in the 80s is almost certainly going to give OP a full ride, probably without stipulations.

Reasoning: I would rather graduate from a strong regional with zero debt than take a 75% tuition scholly at Tulane or at Cardozo with stipulations. Personal preference. But zero debt is awesome even if you have slightly less employment prospects, IMO.
Yes there is. No way OP gets shut out of getting within about 3k per year of a full ride at WUSTL, ND, IUB, UMN and Illinois

mikeditkaisgod

New

Post by mikeditkaisgod » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:05 pm

firemed wrote:
sanetruth wrote:The advice ITT is terrible. Especially the guy who said throw apps to 51-100? With that LSAT, even if you're not looking to pay sticker, you'll get a full ride in somewhere in the T50. Don't even bother with 51-100.

I said strong regionals in the 51-100. Not all of them... that would be a waste with OP's numbers (other than to rack up a crapload of acceptances if he/she wants to wallpaper the room or something). I did recommend every school in the T10-T50. There is no guarantee that someone in the T50 is going to give him/her full ride... likely, maybe, which is why I told OP to apply there... but a strong regional ranked in the 80s is almost certainly going to give OP a full ride, probably without stipulations.

Reasoning: I would rather graduate from a strong regional with zero debt than take a 75% tuition scholly at Tulane or at Cardozo with stipulations. Personal preference. But zero debt is awesome even if you have slightly less employment prospects, IMO.
Could you name some strong regionals ranked 51-100 that would warrant OP attending with a 173 LSAT? OP's LSAT alone will net huge scholarships from much higher ranked schools.

OP, I would send apps to splitter friendly T14 schools other posters have already mentioned, as well as send apps to strong regionals ranked 15-25 or so. Wasting money on sending an app to a 51-100 ranked school is completely pointless.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:16 pm

mikeditkaisgod wrote:
firemed wrote:

Could you name some strong regionals ranked 51-100 that would warrant OP attending with a 173 LSAT? OP's LSAT alone will net huge scholarships from much higher ranked schools.

OP, I would send apps to splitter friendly T14 schools other posters have already mentioned, as well as send apps to strong regionals ranked 15-25 or so. Wasting money on sending an app to a 51-100 ranked school is completely pointless.
If there's a specific secondary market you would like to target that's fed by a certain T2 school, it could make sense to send out an application, especially if you can request a fee waiver. But that's the only way I would see it being worthwhile.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:08 pm

http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=1011

This list seems to imply that sub-50 schools should be ignored. There's a alot of ED-accept at UVA in here. Jerri got into both NU and Michigan.

I think I agree with sanetruth, although the OP didn't express a money preference unless I missed it. My guess is no money at MVP or maybe Northwestern (if WE).

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:36 pm

mikeditkaisgod wrote:Could you name some strong regionals ranked 51-100 that would warrant OP attending with a 173 LSAT? OP's LSAT alone will net huge scholarships from much higher ranked schools.

The following list is places that, if OP wanted to practice there, would be worth applying to, IMO. And I think it would be a good idea because, if OP wanted to practice there, OP would be likely to get a full ride scholarship without any GPA stipulations. These people can't compete with the lower T14 except to promise OP a full ride without having to worry about GPA. With a 173 OP is going to get fee waivers for most if not every one of these... so for an extra $36-72 OP can have a bargaining chip (even a higher ranked school will consider negotiating if you got a full ride without stips)... or maybe even a school OP is interested in going to for FREE:

Temple, L&C, Oklahoma, UNLV, UNM, Nebraska.

Now maybe some of the schools would insist on keeping the stip or something... but who really cares if you spent $12 on the application? Your potential win for cost here is big.

As for the list above from LSN... none of those got full ride schollys... and I would put $50 on all of them having GPA stips.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

menstrualcrumps

New

Post by menstrualcrumps » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:54 pm

Definitely what firemed said.

mikeditkaisgod

New

Post by mikeditkaisgod » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:16 am

firemed wrote:
mikeditkaisgod wrote:Could you name some strong regionals ranked 51-100 that would warrant OP attending with a 173 LSAT? OP's LSAT alone will net huge scholarships from much higher ranked schools.

The following list is places that, if OP wanted to practice there, would be worth applying to, IMO. And I think it would be a good idea because, if OP wanted to practice there, OP would be likely to get a full ride scholarship without any GPA stipulations. These people can't compete with the lower T14 except to promise OP a full ride without having to worry about GPA. With a 173 OP is going to get fee waivers for most if not every one of these... so for an extra $36-72 OP can have a bargaining chip (even a higher ranked school will consider negotiating if you got a full ride without stips)... or maybe even a school OP is interested in going to for FREE:

Temple, L&C, Oklahoma, UNLV, UNM, Nebraska.

Now maybe some of the schools would insist on keeping the stip or something... but who really cares if you spent $12 on the application? Your potential win for cost here is big.

As for the list above from LSN... none of those got full ride schollys... and I would put $50 on all of them having GPA stips.
OP is obviously trying to find out his chances for the highest of ranked schools. OP even stated that he/she didn't mind paying sticker for T14; which makes applying to a school ranked 51-100 completely useless. But without trying to derail the thread, I would just like to state that I wasn't trying to knock the 51-100 schools at all. I'm simply arguing that anybody with the intelligence/luck to achieve an LSAT that high should not even begin to think about applying to schools ranked 51-100. I bet a 173 LSAT would be the highest LSAT to ever go to a school such as UNM for example. Even if OP is a resident of New Mexico, the fact that OP achieved a 173 LSAT three years before graduating law school will mean absolutely nothing if OP finishes around median and is stuck with a 45k job in the middle of nowhere.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:49 am

mikeditkaisgod wrote: OP is obviously trying to find out his chances for the highest of ranked schools. OP even stated that he/she didn't mind paying sticker for T14; which makes applying to a school ranked 51-100 completely useless. But without trying to derail the thread, I would just like to state that I wasn't trying to knock the 51-100 schools at all. I'm simply arguing that anybody with the intelligence/luck to achieve an LSAT that high should not even begin to think about applying to schools ranked 51-100. I bet a 173 LSAT would be the highest LSAT to ever go to a school such as UNM for example. Even if OP is a resident of New Mexico, the fact that OP achieved a 173 LSAT three years before graduating law school will mean absolutely nothing if OP finishes around median and is stuck with a 45k job in the middle of nowhere.
Understood. I mentioned the higher ranks as well... I was just throwing out another option that OP may not have considered... and I added "IMO." You are correct that this is getting off topic however, so I am happy to drop it. I will say that a $45K job in the middle of nowhere when you have no debt and want to practice in that area isn't the end of the world. But you are right that OP probably doesn't want that. It was just an opinion I threw out there because it is something not everyone considers on these boards.

ETA: UNM has several 170+ LSAT holders, BTW, not a lot... but probably one or two per class.

mikeditkaisgod

New

Post by mikeditkaisgod » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:23 am

firemed wrote:
mikeditkaisgod wrote: OP is obviously trying to find out his chances for the highest of ranked schools. OP even stated that he/she didn't mind paying sticker for T14; which makes applying to a school ranked 51-100 completely useless. But without trying to derail the thread, I would just like to state that I wasn't trying to knock the 51-100 schools at all. I'm simply arguing that anybody with the intelligence/luck to achieve an LSAT that high should not even begin to think about applying to schools ranked 51-100. I bet a 173 LSAT would be the highest LSAT to ever go to a school such as UNM for example. Even if OP is a resident of New Mexico, the fact that OP achieved a 173 LSAT three years before graduating law school will mean absolutely nothing if OP finishes around median and is stuck with a 45k job in the middle of nowhere.
Understood. I mentioned the higher ranks as well... I was just throwing out another option that OP may not have considered... and I added "IMO." You are correct that this is getting off topic however, so I am happy to drop it. I will say that a $45K job in the middle of nowhere when you have no debt and want to practice in that area isn't the end of the world. But you are right that OP probably doesn't want that. It was just an opinion I threw out there because it is something not everyone considers on these boards.

ETA: UNM has several 170+ LSAT holders, BTW, not a lot... but probably one or two per class.
I agree. Sorry for derailing the thread OP, and hopefully Firemed didn't think I was attacking his advice/opinion.

Also, I don't know what IMO means lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:59 pm

mikeditkaisgod wrote: Also, I don't know what IMO means lol.
:mrgreen:
In My Opinion.... less offensive than the annoying "IMHO" (In My Humble Opinion) which is only for jackasses who aren't being humble at all.

ETA: no, I don't take anything on these boards very personally- at least not anymore- unless I actually know the poster personally and I feel they are attacking me personally instead of my opinions. People disagree all the time... hell, our future careers are based of disagreeing for a living. We need to not take any of this personally, IMO.

Badgers2012

New

Post by Badgers2012 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:00 pm

Can I get into M or P?

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:46 pm

I think it's been said earlier in the thread, but LSN.
Since I like looking at graphs, here's some free stats for this past cycle's graph:
Michigan accepted 4 applicants, WLed 14 applicants, and dinged 19 applicants with GPAs below 3.3. The ones that did get in had LSATs of 172, 171, 169, and 162 (URM). Without looking at their individual profiles, I'd be willing to bet they all applied very early, probably EDed or whatnot.
Penn accepted 5 - 177, 170, 170, 164 (URM) and 162 (URM) - WLed 7, and dinged 15.

SO, apply early and you have a chance. No one except the adcomms can give you a definite yes or no. Probably makes a lot of sense to apply, especially if you get fee waivers, which you should.

I had numbers similar to yours (slightly higher, but I applied quite late, got apps out between mid-January and Feb 1st), and ended up getting $$$$ from a T25 and $$ from a T20. Could've gotten into some T14s but only applied to one and was WLed, and I was absolutely not comfortable paying sticker anywhere, as you are. So you should be looking good for a lower T14 at sticker or with $, or $$ from Vandy, WUSTL, or BU, and you'll get $$$$ from T25s.

idratherbetraveling

New

Post by idratherbetraveling » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Despite the GPA, with that kind of LSAT, I agree that you are looking at getting into at least a few of the T14 and many schools in the T30. I'd say you have a pretty decent shot at Michigan (anecdotal evidence from many friends who go there), can't say anything about Penn. If you are interested in going to Texas, I'd say send an app that way too, because with that LSAT it's highly likely you'll get their out-of-state tuition waiver, which means you pay less than $30k per year, even if you get no other help from them. Also, admission/$ from Texas could be a useful bargaining chip for schollys from other schools, even if you don't think you'll go there.

Above all, apply EARLY (before October ends)/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Everyone here is being way too optimistic about Vandy, UT, and the T-14 in general. These schools WL'd a ton of people on here with great splitter stats. There was someone who applied on time , 3.4/174, who got only WUSTL, was WL on the rest. Granted, folks did come off the WLs and get $$, but that is a lot more of a game of chance than having the apps and getting accepted.

Seriously. OP, you need to have an app to Cornell at the beginning of the cycle, also to GULC. As for ED'ing, it should be to either UVA or Penn (Michigan is apparently more holisitc, which is bad for you because your numbers aren't on as high). Vandy likes GPAs, and UT absolutely is obssesed with them. This past cycle they would not go below 3.4 or so for non-URM, according to LSN.

As for the rest, you are good to go for WUSTL, UIUC, IUB, and UM (if you want the midwest). GW will give a little money, not much.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:56 pm

T14 acceptances are no guarantee, and do not expect them or you might be sorely disappointed. You are applying early enough that I think you have a very good shot at UVA ED and a pretty good shot at GULC RD. The people saying you will get a full ride or close to it at WUSTL are either just misinformed or predicting a major change in how WUSTL awards aid this year (based on who knows what.) This past cycle, your numbers would have been 100% accept rate, 100% 84k scholly, which is around 2/3, not full tuition. This is literally the scholly WUSTL gave every low 3 170+ applicant who did not have larger scholarships from schools in the uiuc range or T14 acceptances/schollies to negotiate.

And see the guy who posted above me about a 3.4/174. I was 3.2/176, and through late app type shit, only got WUSTL also.

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Kabuo wrote:T14 acceptances are no guarantee, and do not expect them or you might be sorely disappointed. You are applying early enough that I think you have a very good shot at UVA ED and a pretty good shot at GULC RD. The people saying you will get a full ride or close to it at WUSTL are either just misinformed or predicting a major change in how WUSTL awards aid this year (based on who knows what.) This past cycle, your numbers would have been 100% accept rate, 100% 84k scholly, which is around 2/3, not full tuition. This is literally the scholly WUSTL gave every low 3 170+ applicant who did not have larger scholarships from schools in the uiuc range or T14 acceptances/schollies to negotiate.

And see the guy who posted above me about a 3.4/174. I was 3.2/176, and through late app type shit, only got WUSTL also.
Confirming the WUSTL thing. I got 84k with a 3.49/173. Didn't negotiate though. The real full rides there are not as easy to get as TLS advertises.

Badgers2012

New

Post by Badgers2012 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:35 am

Anyone else?
Last edited by Badgers2012 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Badgers2012

New

Post by Badgers2012 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Do you really think I have just as good a shot at Penn ED as UVA ED? On that note, Penn vs UVA? Who wins?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:05 pm

Badgers2012 wrote:Do you really think I have just as good a shot at Penn ED as UVA ED? On that note, Penn vs UVA? Who wins?
Penn and UVa are peer schools. You probably have a better shot at UVa.

aerogear

New

Post by aerogear » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:41 am

UVA is a lock with an ED before mid november.

Penn/Michigan will depend on a solid app/good softs/luck. They are more holistic so don't listen to anyone who says there is a wall that you're under. Mich waitlisted a guy this year with a 173/3.3 but let in someone with 169/3.1, both not URMs. If you really think you have a good app, an ED to one of them gives you a good shot.

Berekeley is out, duke is out.

Northwestern is in RD if you have WE.

Cornell could go either way. I wouldn't call them holistic, but they have no consistent acceptance methodology from cycle to cycle.

Georgetown is good.

UCLA and USC are out, they like GPAs. Vanderbilt is up or down, and from there on down you're pretty good, most often with $$
+1. Just bite the bullet to 1-2 t14s and be willing to ride out WLs + paying sticker.

ED UVA early, if WL or denied you should move onto the next which IMO would be GULC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”