3.17/173 What do I do now?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Badgers2012

3.17/173 What do I do now?

Postby Badgers2012 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:14 am

Thought I'd try this out. Been on LSN a lot but also know splitter cycles are unpredictable. Application numbers are decreasing from record highs, what do I do know? What schools should I set my sights on and what are my chances at those? Should I use an ED? Please provide advice and insights. Thanks.

bhan87

Re: 3.17/173 What do I do now?

Postby bhan87 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:22 am

HYSCCN, B, and probably MVP are out. NU is in if you have WE. Chance at Duke, Cornell, and Georgetown.

If you're going to ED, ED to one of MVP.

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:24 am

URM? or not?

If you are URM don't ED and apply to the T25.

If you are not URM and you are OK with paying sticker I would ED at some of the T14 (T6 are almost certainly out of your league though) and apply to the T50 and strong regionals in the T51-100 range.

If you are not URM and are NOT OK with paying sticker DON'T ED and apply T10-50, as well as strong regionals in the T51-100.

All this is IMO of course... but that is what I would've done with your numbers.

Badgers2012

Postby Badgers2012 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:26 am

bhan87 wrote:HYSCCN, B, and probably MVP are out. NU is in if you have WE. Chance at Duke, Cornell, and Georgetown.

I would've thought I'd have a better shot at MVP than a school like Duke...

Badgers2012

Postby Badgers2012 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:28 am

Non URM. I would be ok paying sticker for T14

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:29 am

ED to MVP, then.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:34 am

Badgers2012 wrote:
bhan87 wrote:HYSCCN, B, and probably MVP are out. NU is in if you have WE. Chance at Duke, Cornell, and Georgetown.

You would, that was mistaken advice. Duke is know for their focus on gpa. The only low gpa applicants that have gotten in are off the waitlist. Your best shot RD is gulc, cornell and mich. I think you get UVA ed. I wouldn't count on mich on way or another since they seem to not take too many splitters below 3.4x.

If I were in your shoes and truly didn't mind paying sticker (take from now till september to think on that) I would ed to uva and call it a cycle. You are going to probably pay sticker now matter what in the t-14 and it be great to have a 15 day cycle.

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:37 am

Badgers2012 wrote:Non URM. I would be ok paying sticker for T14

You are going to be lower T14 at best, IMO. Personally I would seriously consider taking a full ride at a lower ranked school over paying sticker at a place like Georgetown considering what I have heard about employment prospects there.

Sure, employment prospects would be lower, but hey, you wouldn't have any debt graduating from- for instance- UI-Urbana-Champaign. They were giving full rides this last cycle to people with your numbers.

Badgers2012

Postby Badgers2012 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:43 am

firemed wrote:

You are going to be lower T14 at best, IMO. Personally I would seriously consider taking a full ride at a lower ranked school over paying sticker at a place like Georgetown considering what I have heard about employment prospects there.

Sure, employment prospects would be lower, but hey, you wouldn't have any debt graduating from- for instance- UI-Urbana-Champaign. They were giving full rides this last cycle to people with your numbers.

Yeah I really have to think about it because I might like to go to a place like that for free. Or even WUSTL for close to full. But I really like UVA and will have to weigh options. The difference in employment prospects from UVA to T20 is actually substantial from what I can gather. Plus benefits such as potential clerkships

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:44 am

It looks like you could gain acceptance to Georgetown RD and and Northwestern RD if you have WE.

If you are looking to ED, UVA is your best bet. UMich and UPenn appear to not be as lenient in regards to accepting applicants in your GPA range. Cornell could also be a law school where an ED application could do the trick (if you prefer Ithaca).

HYSCCNBD are out because of your GPA.

Best of luck.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:45 am

dabbadon8 wrote:
Badgers2012 wrote:

You would, that was mistaken advice. Duke is know for their focus on gpa. The only low gpa applicants that have gotten in are off the waitlist. Your best shot RD is gulc, cornell and mich. I think you get UVA ed. I wouldn't count on mich on way or another since they seem to not take too many splitters below 3.4x.

If I were in your shoes and truly didn't mind paying sticker (take from now till september to think on that) I would ed to uva and call it a cycle. You are going to probably pay sticker now matter what in the t-14 and it be great to have a 15 day cycle.

Whoops, my bad. Didn't realize Duke had such a strict GPA cutoff

Badgers2012

Postby Badgers2012 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:19 pm

Any other ideas or opinions?

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:26 pm

Badgers2012 wrote:Any other ideas or opinions?

Look at LSN for people with similar numbers to yours. If you don't see them getting accepted to schools you considering, don't count on you getting accepted. LSN tends to be pretty accurate. Plan your cycle accordingly.

stylishlaw

Postby stylishlaw » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:54 pm

Your cycle will look like this:

Lock at WUSTL with $$$
Possibility of Texas/UCLA/Vandy/USC biting and giving $
Possibility of Cornell/Georgetown/Northwestern(if you have WE) at sticker

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:45 pm

stylishlaw wrote:Your cycle will look like this:

Lock at WUSTL with $$$

That's the best you think? I have similar numbers and am hoping for maybe an ED to UVA. I would be happy about UT/USCLA/Vandy with some money but I have been hearing they won't bite on a 3.1-3.2ish app (maybe off WL idk)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:05 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:
stylishlaw wrote:Your cycle will look like this:

Lock at WUSTL with $$$

That's the best you think? I have similar numbers and am hoping for maybe an ED to UVA. I would be happy about UT/USCLA/Vandy with some money but I have been hearing they won't bite on a 3.1-3.2ish app (maybe off WL idk)

A 3.17 is probably not getting UT/UCLA/USC since they are such GPA whores. Maybe Vandy as Vandy has dipped pretty low in GPA this cycle which they never used to do. If this cycle hadn't happened yet I would have said Vandy is probably out too.

A low GPA (but not sub3), 170+ splitter will probably have the best T14 shot at MVP as well as at CG, N if work exp. MVP seem to consistently be able to dip low in GPA, especially if you ED.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:05 pm

Badgers2012 wrote:
firemed wrote:

Yeah I really have to think about it because I might like to go to a place like that for free. Or even WUSTL for close to full. But I really like UVA and will have to weigh options. The difference in employment prospects from UVA to T20 is actually substantial from what I can gather. Plus benefits such as potential clerkships

If, after you've considered everything, you decide you're still ok with paying sticker for a T14, I think you have a pretty good shot at UVA if you ED.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:21 pm

The advice ITT is terrible. Especially the guy who said throw apps to 51-100? With that LSAT, even if you're not looking to pay sticker, you'll get a full ride in somewhere in the T50. Don't even bother with 51-100.

UVA is a lock with an ED before mid november.

Penn/Michigan will depend on a solid app/good softs/luck. They are more holistic so don't listen to anyone who says there is a wall that you're under. Mich waitlisted a guy this year with a 173/3.3 but let in someone with 169/3.1, both not URMs. If you really think you have a good app, an ED to one of them gives you a good shot.

Berekeley is out, duke is out.

Northwestern is in RD if you have WE.

Cornell could go either way. I wouldn't call them holistic, but they have no consistent acceptance methodology from cycle to cycle.

Georgetown is good.

UCLA and USC are out, they like GPAs. Vanderbilt is up or down, and from there on down you're pretty good, most often with $$

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm

sanetruth wrote:The advice ITT is terrible. Especially the guy who said throw apps to 51-100? With that LSAT, even if you're not looking to pay sticker, you'll get a full ride in somewhere in the T50. Don't even bother with 51-100.

UVA is a lock with an ED before mid november.

Penn/Michigan will depend on a solid app/good softs/luck. They are more holistic so don't listen to anyone who says there is a wall that you're under. Mich waitlisted a guy this year with a 173/3.3 but let in someone with 169/3.1, both not URMs. If you really think you have a good app, an ED to one of them gives you a good shot.

Berekeley is out, duke is out.

Northwestern is in RD if you have WE.

Cornell could go either way. I wouldn't call them holistic, but they have no consistent acceptance methodology from cycle to cycle.

Georgetown is good.

UCLA and USC are out, they like GPAs. Vanderbilt is up or down, and from there on down you're pretty good, most often with $$

+1. If you do go the UVA route (the best option in my opinion), there's no reason not to get your app in right when applications open.

ant5do

Postby ant5do » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:50 am

lawyerwannabe wrote:It looks like you could gain acceptance to Georgetown RD and and Northwestern RD if you have WE.

If you are looking to ED, UVA is your best bet. UMich and UPenn appear to not be as lenient in regards to accepting applicants in your GPA range. Cornell could also be a law school where an ED application could do the trick (if you prefer Ithaca).

HYSCCNBD are out because of your GPA.

Best of luck.

can't ed to cornell; it's a non-binding ea

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:34 am

dresden doll wrote:ED to MVP, then.

booboo

Postby booboo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:14 am

MC Southstar wrote:
dresden doll wrote:ED to MVP, then.

He'd know.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:22 am

If you don't mind paying sticker at T14 - which I think you should seriously consider since USC, UCLA, UT, and Vandy are unlikely to throw money at you - ED to UVA the day apps become available. There is a good chance that they will admit you. If they do not admit you ED, you will know within like two weeks, giving you plenty of time to send another ED app to Michigan.

If you have some money to burn on applications apply RD from MVP through the top 20 or so plus BU and BC. Do this only if you don't get into UVA. You could also look at some solid regional schools where you have ties/want to practice.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:41 am

sanetruth wrote:The advice ITT is terrible. Especially the guy who said throw apps to 51-100? With that LSAT, even if you're not looking to pay sticker, you'll get a full ride in somewhere in the T50. Don't even bother with 51-100.

First off, a lot of the advice in this thread is quite good. Second off:

I said strong regionals in the 51-100. Not all of them... that would be a waste with OP's numbers (other than to rack up a crapload of acceptances if he/she wants to wallpaper the room or something). I did recommend every school in the T10-T50. There is no guarantee that someone in the T50 is going to give him/her full ride... likely, maybe, which is why I told OP to apply there... but a strong regional ranked in the 80s is almost certainly going to give OP a full ride, probably without stipulations.

Reasoning: I would rather graduate from a strong regional with zero debt than take a 75% tuition scholly at Tulane or at Cardozo with stipulations. Personal preference. But zero debt is awesome even if you have slightly less employment prospects, IMO.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:46 pm

buckilaw wrote:If you don't mind paying sticker at T14 - which I think you should seriously consider since USC, UCLA, UT, and Vandy are unlikely to throw money at you - ED to UVA the day apps become available. There is a good chance that they will admit you. If they do not admit you ED, you will know within like two weeks, giving you plenty of time to send another ED app to Michigan.

If you have some money to burn on applications apply RD from MVP through the top 20 or so plus BU and BC. Do this only if you don't get into UVA. You could also look at some solid regional schools where you have ties/want to practice.

This is an excellent plan.

Return to “What are my chances?”