2.2 gpa, 180 LSAT. Extreme Splitter

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Jumpman23

2.2 gpa, 180 LSAT. Extreme Splitter

Postby Jumpman23 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:27 pm

[edited] will provide background information if needed.
Last edited by Jumpman23 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bosoxfan

Re: 2.2 gpa, 180 LSAT. Extreme Splitter

Postby Bosoxfan » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Sending an addendum for your grades, or lack thereof, may help to explain to addcoms the hardships you faced throughout school, and in that sense you might still be okay. Good luck if this is truthful.

Jumpman23

Postby Jumpman23 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:56 pm

I understand that most people would not understand my story and would just laugh it off. Most cases of an extreme splitter such as myself has always been considered a hypothetical situation. However, I am very truthful and will be as open as I can. I have made a conscious effort in preparing everything (including my addendums) in order to be the best candidate that I can be.

Verity

Postby Verity » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:58 pm

You need a "big net" strategy, and a decent addendum. HYSCCN are almost assuredly out (I mean, I empathize with the circumstances surrounding your low GPA, but realistically the application process is almost completely a numbers game). I'd say you get money at all of the schools you listed, unless UMN decides to shit on 170+ splitters again. Cornell and Northwestern are possible, the latter more so. Good luck.

EDIT: As for the big net, honestly, don't apply to lower-ranked schools that fall outside the region you want to practice just for the sake of going to law school. You need a job after grad.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:11 pm

Jumpman23 wrote:Before I get flamed....

I have also placed my numbers into the LSAC calculator and LSP, but I'm a little weary about their predictions.

i.e. Considered @ Cornell, UCLA,
Weak Consider @ U Mich. U Tex. and GULC.

Color me skeptical that this is not a flame.

Jumpman23

Postby Jumpman23 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:24 pm

Kabuo wrote:

I have also placed my numbers into the LSAC calculator and LSP, but I'm a little weary about their predictions.

I would agree with this. Like I mentioned earlier, this would be laughable. I cracked up when I looked at the computer screen! I went outside, smoked a cigarette and sat down and thought (is this really happening?)

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Jumpman23 wrote:
Kabuo wrote:

I would agree with this. Like I mentioned earlier, this would be laughable. I cracked up when I looked at the computer screen! I went outside, smoked a cigarette and sat down and thought (is this really happening?)

I think you missed the bold. And I love how you talk about it like it hasn't in fact happened. And how you're just now having the "is this real" moment when you're posting and not when you got the score. And how this score has to be at least 3 months old, so it's not like it's new to you. I give this thread 120.

Jumpman23

Postby Jumpman23 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Verity wrote:You need a "big net" strategy, and a decent addendum. HYSCCN are almost assuredly out (I mean, I empathize with the circumstances surrounding your low GPA, but realistically the application process is almost completely a numbers game). I'd say you get money at all of the schools you listed, unless UMN decides to shit on 170+ splitters again. Cornell and Northwestern are possible, the latter more so. Good luck.

EDIT: As for the big net, honestly, don't apply to lower-ranked schools that fall outside the region you want to practice just for the sake of going to law school. You need a job after grad.

I fully agree that its a numbers game and my addendum can only take me so far in the process. I was not intending to apply anywhere crazy due to my terrible LSDAS GPA.

I'll create a list of the states that I want to end up practicing in and will post them later.

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by Jumpman23 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jumpman23

Postby Jumpman23 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Kabuo wrote:
Jumpman23 wrote:
Kabuo wrote:

I think you missed the bold. And I love how you talk about it like it hasn't in fact happened. And how you're just now having the "is this real" moment when you're posting and not when you got the score. And how this score has to be at least 3 months old, so it's not like it's new to you. I give this thread 120.

Of course the score is not new to me! When I received my numbers, I was extremely happy! The LSP instance was just explaining what occured when I did some research. Anyone in the right mind would think a 2.2 is far from having a shot at T-14! I was not even expecting anything in T-14 to pop up on LSP, even with my LSAT score! Everything is speculation until I put the piece of paper into the hands of a Dean, and then they send me their decision. Its nothing less or more than that.

I am not stating that I will get into Cornell and or NW. At most I was only going to apply to NW, and or GULC, but even then I was very skeptical. If make the decision was made to send out my applications to these great schools, I would not be looking for acceptance letters in the mail. No matter what my addendum says, I do not have the numbers that many candidates have.

[edit]
I created this thread to gain some insight and guidance of where I should apply to.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:04 am

Most people on here can probably offer you very little advice because your situation is probably one of the (if not THE) most extreme splits ever on this board. Splitters are hard to predict for anyway.

I'd say just go ahead and apply at GULC, Cornell and NU if you think you'd like to go to one of those schools. Send off the apps and forget about them; if you get accepted, all the better.

Good luck.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:47 am

Entertaining thread! I'd like to know where he ends up...

Verity

Postby Verity » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:01 pm

GULC is out, probably. You're best shot is NU, if you can get some WE in the meantime. You might even be able to get in without WE. Just interview, show maturity, and beef up that application. Write a stellar PS. Best of luck.

Deep Trench

Postby Deep Trench » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:23 pm

People rely on available data to give advice, which means that you won't get a very meaningful advice for the situation you've got. However, you can make some assumptions to create boundary conditions. For example if 3.0/177 did not get into a certain school, you can assume that you will have hard time getting in with 2.2/180. Also if someone got into a school with 2.5/170, you will have a good shot getting in that school, too. You won't have a precise picture of which schools you will get accepted, but at least you can eliminate some of them.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:29 pm

Like many people have said, there are too many mitigating factors to give any accurate prediction about your cycle. It will depend largely on how AdComms view your GPA addendum. However, I'd say the T-10 are out. NU is possible with work experience, a strong Why X, a good interview, and a solid application. I'd like to say WUSTL would admit you just from your LSAT. IU-B would probably throw a full ride at you.

But like everyone has said, cast your net wide, because you really don't know who will bite.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Jumpman23 wrote:
Kabuo wrote:
Jumpman23 wrote:
Kabuo wrote:Before I get flamed....

I think Kabuo's statement re: the bolded implying a flame is based on the idea that someone who scored 180 on the LSAT not knowing the difference between "weary" and "wary" seems unlikely.
The error jumped out at me as well, however I see this error (and hear it) more and more (even in TV commercials and the like, where I'd think people had editors and proofreaders, but apparently not).

If you're sincere, I think that the other posters have given you good advice.

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:39 pm

If you're deadset on going to a top school (and you should be), your best course of action is to sit this cycle out, get 1-2 years of WE and reapply with some stellar LORs from your employer. Unless you have some amazing softs, straight out of UG the only info schools will have to judge your potential is your GPA, and pretty much the only way to ameliorate this is with additional experience showing them that you can hack it.

If you just want to go to get into and out of school ASAP, you should see money at schools in the 19-35 range provided you have a sufficiently convincing application. In your case, I would make 'trials and tribulations of my UG experience and how they led me to law school' the main topic of your PS and not try to address it in just an addendum. This conflict is going to be the defining characteristic of your application and you should probably meet it head-on.

Jumpman23

Postby Jumpman23 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:11 am

Last edited by Jumpman23 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Horsefeathers

Postby Horsefeathers » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:19 am

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:45 am

Jumpman23 wrote:
This deferred me from applying to any of them because I do not have a lot of expandable income to mail out applications.

:shock: I still don't buy this, but if it is true, then yes, I think you will get fee waivers. That's just based on my own experience with a 3.2 and other peoples' experiences with lower 3s and high 2s. Not sure about low 2s, but once you're in the 2s with an LSAT that they like, what's the difference, really?

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:59 am

Kabuo wrote:
Jumpman23 wrote:
This deferred me from applying to any of them because I do not have a lot of expandable income to mail out applications.

:shock: I still don't buy this, but if it is true, then yes, I think you will get fee waivers. That's just based on my own experience with a 3.2 and other peoples' experiences with lower 3s and high 2s. Not sure about low 2s, but once you're in the 2s with an LSAT that they like, what's the difference, really?

Give up. When teaching undergrads I found that even the most attentive and dedicated students were total disasters in the realm of spelling and grammar. It's just not something people learn anymore.

Return to “What are my chances?”