URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
anteater7
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:53 pm

URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Postby anteater7 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if some of you could chance me and/or offer advice regarding where I should be applying to. I did my undergrad at UCI, enjoyed my experience and would love to go there for law school. Chances of acceptance there? Possible scholly? I am also curious about my chances at receiving an acceptance to a Top 50? I would obviously take the best opportunity given to me, however I'd prefer to go to a school in Socal, Chicago, Detroit-Ann Arbor, or New York region.

URM Female - AA & NA (however, not registered with a tribe)
171 LSAT
3.0 LSDAS GPA
Will be applying as early as possible in the next cycle
Strong softs; don't want to reveal for privacy
Worked at a law firm as a file clerk for a little over a year

Thanks!
Last edited by anteater7 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:12 pm

You're aiming too low if you're thinking T50. I would definitely bet you will get some T14 acceptances (maybe some lower ones with a bit of money).

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:36 pm

Honestly, I would only apply to the T14. T20 if you want full schollys, though I'm sure you have a strong chance of a full ride at UVA.

HYS is probably out with that GPA. Your strongest shot is at H, but still, URMs with your stats have been WLed in the past.

CCN - Probably in if you put together a strong application. At the very least WLed.

T7-14 - In with $$$.

Good luck :)

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Postby horrorbusiness » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:42 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Honestly, I would only apply to the T14. T20 if you want full schollys, though I'm sure you have a strong chance of a full ride at UVA.

HYS is probably out with that GPA. Your strongest shot is at H, but still, URMs with your stats have been WLed in the past.

CCN - Probably in if you put together a strong application. At the very least WLed.

T7-14 - In with $$$.

Good luck :)


I have a question for you GAIA. According to lawschoolpredictor, those numbers (with URM) are flat reject at the T8 and "consider" through the rest of the T14. But I'm much more inclined to believe you than an automated predictor. In your view, is lawschoolpredictor overly pessimistic for URM? Or what accounts for the difference between what you say and lawschool predictor?

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Postby glewz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:55 pm

anteater7 wrote:Hi everyone,

I was wondering if some of you could chance me and/or offer advice regarding where I should be applying to. I did my undergrad at UCI, enjoyed my experience and would love to go there for law school. Chances of acceptance there? Possible scholly? I am also curious about my chances at receiving an acceptance to a Top 50? I would obviously take the best opportunity given to me, however I'd prefer to go to a school in Socal, Chicago, Detroit-Ann Arbor, or New York region.

URM Female - AA & NA (however, not registered with a tribe)
171 LSAT
3.0 LSDAS GPA
Will be applying as early as possible in the next cycle
Strong softs; don't want to reveal for privacy
Worked as a law clerk for a little over a year

Thanks!


I'd recommend that a person with your profile apply exclusively to T20 schools. Best wishes on crafting a top notch application.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:05 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Honestly, I would only apply to the T14. T20 if you want full schollys, though I'm sure you have a strong chance of a full ride at UVA.

HYS is probably out with that GPA. Your strongest shot is at H, but still, URMs with your stats have been WLed in the past.

CCN - Probably in if you put together a strong application. At the very least WLed.

T7-14 - In with $$$.

Good luck :)


I have a question for you GAIA. According to lawschoolpredictor, those numbers (with URM) are flat reject at the T8 and "consider" through the rest of the T14. But I'm much more inclined to believe you than an automated predictor. In your view, is lawschoolpredictor overly pessimistic for URM? Or what accounts for the difference between what you say and lawschool predictor?

Yes. LSP is overly pessimistic for URMs. I know a 160/ 3.69 URM female in the T6 and I'm sure if you plug those numbers into LSP, it would give that applicant little to no chance of acceptance. The fact is, URM cycles are quite unpredictable at times, especially for AA males, and one should still choose to apply to certain schools even if LSP tells you otherwise.

CoriOlivia
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Postby CoriOlivia » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:57 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Honestly, I would only apply to the T14. T20 if you want full schollys, though I'm sure you have a strong chance of a full ride at UVA.

HYS is probably out with that GPA. Your strongest shot is at H, but still, URMs with your stats have been WLed in the past.

CCN - Probably in if you put together a strong application. At the very least WLed.

T7-14 - In with $$$.

Good luck :)


I have a question for you GAIA. According to lawschoolpredictor, those numbers (with URM) are flat reject at the T8 and "consider" through the rest of the T14. But I'm much more inclined to believe you than an automated predictor. In your view, is lawschoolpredictor overly pessimistic for URM? Or what accounts for the difference between what you say and lawschool predictor?

I think lsp is overly pessimistic to major splitters such as yourself. I think I read somewhere on tls about how it is pessimistic with chances for splitters in order to make it more accurate for the majority or something like that... I would say to check out lawschoolnumbers but I've done that and there really aren't that many URM splitters graphed (I've obsessively looked). I'd say to apply to several "reach" schools because you really never know when you're a splitter *and* URM.

anteater7
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Postby anteater7 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:31 am

Thank you for your replies everyone. I was unaware of lawschoolpredictor's pessimistic results for URMs and splitters which is why I was assuming T30 would be a reach. I would absolutely take any acceptance to a T14 but would like to know which ones favor splitters or URMs? Or both? I heard Northwestern does, however you must have significant work experience. Also, I heard California schools love high GPAs, so that rules out Boalt, Stanford, UCLA and USC, but what about UCI? Thanks again!

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Postby bhan87 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:09 am

Definitely in at UCI. You really need to be applying to schools MVP and below also. Some T14s should bite.

anteater7
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Postby anteater7 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:43 am

Thanks again everyone. Just heard that UCI's law school received provisional accreditation this month and that based off the LSAT scores and GPA ranges it is to be ranked in the top 25. How does this affect my chances of getting into UCI law now?
Last edited by anteater7 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Postby bhan87 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:44 am

anteater7 wrote:Thanks again everyone. Just heard that UCI's law school received provisional accredidation this month and that based off the LSAT scores and GPA ranges it is to be ranked in the top 25. How does this affect my chances of getting into UCI law now?


Doesn't change much. It'll be harder to get in of course, but you'll be sitting pretty with that 170.

anteater7
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Postby anteater7 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi again.

Recalculated my LSDAS GPA...it's a 3.14 if that helps any. I also visited some law schools this summer to get a feel for them and I absolutely fell in love with Michigan Law. I have strong ties to the region - my mother is a Michigan native, my grandparents still live there, and a couple of my relatives went there for undergrad. Assuming I write a decent personal statement, a diversity statement, a "Why Michigan" (I'm really interested in their International Law curriculum as well as their emphasis on public interest), and an addendum explaining the illness that impacted my GPA, what are my chances of being accepted if I apply very early?

Michigan is my number one choice right now, but I intend on applying to Harvard, Columbia, Penn, Chicago, NYU, UVA, Northwestern, Cornell, Georgetown, UCLA, USC, Boalt (why not?), GWU, Wash U, Boston, Fordham, UCD, and UCI. Chances at these schools with my updated GPA? Should I write "Why X" for all of them?

Note: I am not applying this cycle. I'm currently working and traveling, but will be applying in the 2012-13 cycle.
Last edited by anteater7 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawSchoolChampion
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:41 pm

Re: URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Postby LawSchoolChampion » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:31 pm

anteater7 wrote:Hi again.

Recalculated my LSDAS GPA...it's a 3.14 if that helps any. I also visited some law schools this summer to get a feel for them and I absolutely fell in love with Michigan Law. I have strong ties to the region - my mother is a Michigan native, my grandparents still live there, and a couple of my relatives went there for undergrad. Assuming I write a decent personal statement, a diversity statement, a "Why Michigan" (I'm really interested in their International Law curriculum as well as their emphasis on public interest), and an addendum explaining the illness that impacted my GPA, what are my chances of being accepted if I very early?

Michigan is my number one choice right now, but I intend on applying to Harvard, Columbia, Penn, Chicago, NYU, UVA, Northwestern, Cornell, Georgetown, UCLA, USC, Boalt (why not?), GWU, Wash U, Boston, Fordham, UCD, and UCI. Chances at these schools with my updated GPA? Should I write "Why X" for all of them?

Note: I am not applying this cycle. I'm currently working and traveling, but will be applying in the 2012-13 cycle.


If Michigan says no, I'd be astounded.

Definitely ED if it's your $1 choice since their financial aid is given out regardless of ED.

anteater7
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Postby anteater7 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:33 pm

LawSchoolChampion wrote:
anteater7 wrote:Hi again.

Recalculated my LSDAS GPA...it's a 3.14 if that helps any. I also visited some law schools this summer to get a feel for them and I absolutely fell in love with Michigan Law. I have strong ties to the region - my mother is a Michigan native, my grandparents still live there, and a couple of my relatives went there for undergrad. Assuming I write a decent personal statement, a diversity statement, a "Why Michigan" (I'm really interested in their International Law curriculum as well as their emphasis on public interest), and an addendum explaining the illness that impacted my GPA, what are my chances of being accepted if I very early?

Michigan is my number one choice right now, but I intend on applying to Harvard, Columbia, Penn, Chicago, NYU, UVA, Northwestern, Cornell, Georgetown, UCLA, USC, Boalt (why not?), GWU, Wash U, Boston, Fordham, UCD, and UCI. Chances at these schools with my updated GPA? Should I write "Why X" for all of them?

Note: I am not applying this cycle. I'm currently working and traveling, but will be applying in the 2012-13 cycle.


If Michigan says no, I'd be astounded.

Definitely ED if it's your $1 choice since their financial aid is given out regardless of ED.



So I can still receive scholarship money if I apply ED? Would it be a decent amount?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15524
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:10 pm

Don't ED. Yes Michigan could give you a decent scholarship but by foregoing all of your other options you won't be able to negotiate it up at all. An unpredictable cycle means some great stuff could be on it's way, and you'd be giving it all up for Michigan.

anteater7
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: URM 171/3.0 GPA - UCI?

Postby anteater7 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanks Tiago for your response. I don't want to be locked in a position that may limit my options. Curious as to what my chances are for the other schools I listed, as well as the potential for scholarship money at those schools. Anyone?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest