3.1/175

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jkupps2415

3.1/175

Postby jkupps2415 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:42 am

I have a 3.1 gpa and hope to get a 175 lsat score (consistently scoring on old tests). Do I have a shot at any of the t14 schools? If so, which ones seem to fit my severe splitter status the best?

dpk711

Re: 3.1/175

Postby dpk711 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:47 am

Of the lower T14, GULC is your best bet. You can ED to UVA as well. Also, come back with a real score.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:51 am

jkupps2415 wrote:I have a 3.1 gpa and hope to get a 175 lsat score (consistently scoring on old tests). Do I have a shot at any of the t14 schools? If so, which ones seem to fit my severe splitter status the best?

Definite shot at schools like Gtown and Cornell. Possibly Northwestern, depending on your WE. HYSCCN and I suspect MVP are probably out (maybe UVA with ED and a targetted PS)

stylishlaw

Postby stylishlaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:54 am

bhan87 wrote:
jkupps2415 wrote:I have a 3.1 gpa and hope to get a 175 lsat score (consistently scoring on old tests). Do I have a shot at any of the t14 schools? If so, which ones seem to fit my severe splitter status the best?

Definite shot at schools like Gtown and Cornell. Possibly Northwestern, depending on your WE. HYSCCN and I suspect MVP are probably out (maybe UVA with ED and a targetted PS)

Boalt and Duke are out too. Realistically your best chances are Gtown, Cornell, and Northwestern. If you have work experience, Northwestern would almost be a lock with those stats.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:55 am

What bk1 said about a real score.

I don't know about Cornell. Their median GPA is lower so it makes sense to say them, but how many extreme splitters do you see there? I'd blanket the lower t-14, and ED to one of them (but don't waste your ED on Columbia or something as it ain't happening). I'd apply to all of them as you never know who will love your app. Personally, I'd ED to UVA in your situation.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:56 am

stylishlaw wrote:
bhan87 wrote:

Boalt and Duke are out too. Realistically your best chances are Gtown, Cornell, and Northwestern. If you have work experience, Northwestern would almost be a lock with those stats.

I don't think those stats are ever a lock for a t-14.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:01 am

Cornell seems to have a soft 3.3 floor. OP will most likely get WL.

stylishlaw

Postby stylishlaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:04 am

Make sure you apply to UCLA/USC/Vandy/Texas/WUSTL/GW

You're unlikely to get UCLA, USC, Vandy, or Texas since they really like GPA. But WUSTL will throw TONS of money at you.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:11 am

stylishlaw wrote:Make sure you apply to UCLA/USC/Vandy/Texas/WUSTL/GW

You're unlikely to get UCLA, USC, Vandy, or Texas since they really like GPA. But WUSTL will throw TONS of money at you.

as will almost every law school in the midwest.

jkupps2415

Postby jkupps2415 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:26 am

stylishlaw wrote:
bhan87 wrote:

In terms of work experience--does it have to be law related? I have worked multiple non-related internships, as well as part time jobs throughout my earlier college years. During my upper level years, I started my own business, raised capital, and helped it grow as it remains expanding today.

Does any of this experience help my chances? If so--how much?

stylishlaw

Postby stylishlaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:33 am

I apologize since I didn't make it very clear in my earlier post. You're not an "auto-lock" anywhere since splitter cycles are very hard to predict. Also you need an actual LSAT score since thinking about where you can get in with practice test scores is akin to thinking about what houses you can buy with monopoly money.

I can say that with Northwestern they really like people with 1) >=170 LSAT and 2) prestigious or significant work experience
They are known to ignore GPA and let in people with 2.XX GPA who meet those requirements. For that reason, they will be your best chance of getting into a T14 school. Make sure you do their admissions interview and do it well. Write targeted essays too.

Hope that helps.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:37 am

flexityflex86 wrote:I don't think those stats are ever a lock for a t-14.

with WE and ED i think OP's an auto-admit for NU.

edit: and, y'know, an ACTUAL score.

jkupps2415

Postby jkupps2415 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:41 am

Haha yes I understand everyone. An ACTUAL score. Just have been putting in a lot of work towards this and wanted to get a little taste of possibilities for my future--even if it is a bit premature.

jkupps2415

Postby jkupps2415 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:43 am

stylishlaw wrote:I apologize since I didn't make it very clear in my earlier post. You're not an "auto-lock" anywhere since splitter cycles are very hard to predict. Also you need an actual LSAT score since thinking about where you can get in with practice test scores is akin to thinking about what houses you can buy with monopoly money.

I can say that with Northwestern they really like people with 1) >=170 LSAT and 2) prestigious or significant work experience
They are known to ignore GPA and let in people with 2.XX GPA who meet those requirements. For that reason, they will be your best chance of getting into a T14 school. Make sure you do their admissions interview and do it well. Write targeted essays too.

Hope that helps.

No apology necessary and thanks for the input. In terms of "prestigious or significant work experience," do you think my entrepreneurial experiences listed earlier would qualify? Or is this reserved for big name businesses and whatnot?

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:45 am

jkupps2415 wrote:
stylishlaw wrote:I apologize since I didn't make it very clear in my earlier post. You're not an "auto-lock" anywhere since splitter cycles are very hard to predict. Also you need an actual LSAT score since thinking about where you can get in with practice test scores is akin to thinking about what houses you can buy with monopoly money.

Hope that helps.

No apology necessary and thanks for the input. In terms of "prestigious or significant work experience," do you think my entrepreneurial experiences listed earlier would qualify? Or is this reserved for big name businesses and whatnot?

Any post-undergraduate full-time WE is counted for NU.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:46 am

jkupps2415 wrote:

i think waiting table counts.

in fact, i know it does.

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:50 am

IAFG wrote:
jkupps2415 wrote:

in fact, i know it does.

You know better than I, but I was under the impression that for NU, there was a difference between work experience and substantive work experience (waiting tables vs consulting for a firm).

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:56 am

Curry wrote:
IAFG wrote:
jkupps2415 wrote:

in fact, i know it does.

You know better than I, but I was under the impression that for NU, there was a difference between work experience and substantive work experience (waiting tables vs consulting for a firm).

yeah, that's in an ideal world, but DVZ admitted to me privately that in practice they make a lot of "compromises" to meet their goals. think about it: if you're being really successful in a non-law job... why are you coming to law school? also, for some reason i don't understand, the original vision was to avoid paralegals.

stylishlaw

Postby stylishlaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:57 am

I think your work experience would be looked at favorably by the admissions officers. Northwestern also gives ample opportunity to spin your experience however you want it through their essays and interviews so any kind of work experience is likely beneficial since it gives you something to talk about. Evaluating WE is kind of a black box. I think someone who did some time at Goldman is going to get a bump up in admissions but outside of that we can only really speculate. I'd worry more about the LSAT though. Like my pre-law advisor told me, don't tell yourself where you can't go... make THEM tell you that you can't go.

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:01 am

IAFG wrote:
Curry wrote:
IAFG wrote:
jkupps2415 wrote:

in fact, i know it does.

yeah, that's in an ideal world, but DVZ admitted to me privately that in practice they make a lot of "compromises" to meet their goals. think about it: if you're being really successful in a non-law job... why are you coming to law school? also, for some reason i don't understand, the original vision was to avoid paralegals.

Fair enough. Thanks for the info.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:02 am

At NU, WE Years is a just another number. Quality of WE is a huge soft.

3.1/175 might need the soft factor bump, it might not.

The paralegal thing makes no sense. I assume it is lawyer prestige whoring.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:06 am

Desert Fox wrote:At NU, WE Years is a just another number. Quality of WE is a huge soft.

i dunno about that. tho at OCI, it's the biggest soft (after diversity).

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:12 am

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:At NU, WE Years is a just another number. Quality of WE is a huge soft.

i dunno about that. tho at OCI, it's the biggest soft (after diversity).

Do you think thats mainly the case at NU because of its work experience requirement or do you think thats something that affects everyone at all the top law schools?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:13 am

Curry wrote:Do you think thats mainly the case at NU because of its work experience requirement or do you think thats something that affects everyone at all the top law schools?

you'd have to ask someone at other LSs, i have no idea if NU is skewing my own perspective.

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:17 am

IAFG wrote:
Curry wrote:Do you think thats mainly the case at NU because of its work experience requirement or do you think thats something that affects everyone at all the top law schools?

you'd have to ask someone at other LSs, i have no idea if NU is skewing my own perspective.

Hm alright. Thanks.

Return to “What are my chances?”