3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lawhopeful99
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:25 pm

3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby lawhopeful99 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:28 pm

I know the GPA is low :(, that's something I can't change now cos I graduated, I'm hoping the LSAT helps?? What are my top chances according to you guys? I have been working about 6 months full time since graduation and plan on continuing til law school.

I'm looking for some of the lower T14, is that aiming too high? Georgetown/NW/maybe USC??

splitster1221
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:58 am

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby splitster1221 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:31 pm

lawhopeful99 wrote:I know the GPA is low :(, that's something I can't change now cos I graduated, I'm hoping the LSAT helps?? What are my top chances according to you guys? I have been working about 6 months full time since graduation and plan on continuing til law school.

I'm looking for some of the lower T14, is that aiming too high? Georgetown/NW/maybe USC??


I'm not an expert or anything, but I'd say MVP are decent chances and even more with an ED. From what I've heard schools like Duke/UCLA/USC have GPA floors well above 3.1, but the 174 would maybe give you a chance. I'd say most likely IN at GULC, Cornell, with an ED admission to UVA, and a chance at ED Mich/Penn. Not sure about what others. HTH

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:34 pm

Decent shot at Gtown, NW, UVA if you apply Early Decision. Low but not zero shot at Michigan, Penn, and Cornell. Duke and Berk probably out, but I'd apply to Duke anyway. I think USC is a big reach. They just don't like poor GPA.

lawhopeful99
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby lawhopeful99 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks! That's actually better than I was expecting! I went to NYU for undergrad and am looking to move to another city school. So I'd really like GT or NU.

I've heard that re-taking doesn't help, but if all the PT I've taken since then are about 2/3 points higher is it worth it?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:41 pm

lawhopeful99 wrote:Thanks! That's actually better than I was expecting! I went to NYU for undergrad and am looking to move to another city school. So I'd really like GT or NU.

I've heard that re-taking doesn't help, but if all the PT I've taken since then are about 2/3 points higher is it worth it?


Not with your GPA at least. Your LSAT is better than average at every school.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:46 pm

I'm not trying to single out this OP, but can someone tell me why these types of chance me threads come up all the time?

The best way to chance oneself is to:

[1] Look up the different law schools' GPA and LSAT medians (they are widely available).
[2] Go to lawschoolnumbers.com and see who got in to different schools by numbers.
[3] Check out LSP (and use with a grain of salt).
[4] Check out people's profiles on this site, and maybe even PM someone who is your numbers twin to ask them about their application cycle.

Why do people care what other TLSers guess their chances to be?

lawhopeful99
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby lawhopeful99 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:51 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:I'm not trying to single out this OP, but can someone tell me why these types of chance me threads come up all the time?

The best way to chance oneself is to:

[1] Look up the different law schools' GPA and LSAT medians (they are widely available).
[2] Go to lawschoolnumbers.com and see who got in to different schools by numbers.
[3] Check out LSP (and use with a grain of salt).
[4] Check out people's profiles on this site, and maybe even PM someone who is your numbers twin to ask them about their application cycle.

Why do people care what other TLSers guess their chances to be?


Yea, you're right about that, however, because of the splitter situation it's hard to take lsp seriously. And honestly, why read the post with this subject if you're tired of these kind of posts?

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby czelede » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:57 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:I'm not trying to single out this OP, but can someone tell me why these types of chance me threads come up all the time?

The best way to chance oneself is to:

[1] Look up the different law schools' GPA and LSAT medians (they are widely available).
[2] Go to lawschoolnumbers.com and see who got in to different schools by numbers.
[3] Check out LSP (and use with a grain of salt).
[4] Check out people's profiles on this site, and maybe even PM someone who is your numbers twin to ask them about their application cycle.

Why do people care what other TLSers guess their chances to be?


Splitter applications can be hard to predict, so I think it's fair to ask for advice when considering where to use the all-powerful ED card :) There are a lot of profiles on this site, but unfortunately for splitters the number of people whose numbers are this divergent are very limited - and half the time the applicants are divided between 'terrible cycles' and 'awesome cycles'. Plus, many people don't post their numbers actively anyhow so it can take a LOT of digging to find (although the Splitters Application Thread that shows up annually is a good place to start). But sometimes when there are these types of threads other splitters will come crawling out of the woodwork to share their advice and experiences, which can be an invaluable tool.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:03 pm

lawhopeful99 wrote:
And honestly, why read the post with this subject if you're tired of these kind of posts?


Why does anyone read any thread?

OP: I'm curious what other people think, and I meant to point out the resources I listed for the benefit of anyone who wasn't aware of them.

BTW - TLS has splitters galore! There's a lot of info on this site that might be relevant to you.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:06 pm

czelede wrote:Splitter applications can be hard to predict, so I think it's fair to ask for advice when considering where to use the all-powerful ED card :) There are a lot of profiles on this site, but unfortunately for splitters the number of people whose numbers are this divergent are very limited - and half the time the applicants are divided between 'terrible cycles' and 'awesome cycles'. Plus, many people don't post their numbers actively anyhow so it can take a LOT of digging to find (although the Splitters Application Thread that shows up annually is a good place to start). But sometimes when there are these types of threads other splitters will come crawling out of the woodwork to share their advice and experiences, which can be an invaluable tool.


That sounds totally reasonable. I just wonder if some nose to the keyboard type research might not turn up more helpful data.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:I'm not trying to single out this OP, but can someone tell me why these types of chance me threads come up all the time?

The best way to chance oneself is to:

[1] Look up the different law schools' GPA and LSAT medians (they are widely available).
[2] Go to lawschoolnumbers.com and see who got in to different schools by numbers.
[3] Check out LSP (and use with a grain of salt).
[4] Check out people's profiles on this site, and maybe even PM someone who is your numbers twin to ask them about their application cycle.

Why do people care what other TLSers guess their chances to be?


There is some institutional knowledge that TLS does have that is more easily conveyed than trying to interpret LSN charts themselves. It's easy to miss that all the low GPA admits to UVA are either instate or ED unless you are looking for it.

4 is much worse than doing a thread.

lawhopeful99
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby lawhopeful99 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:10 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
lawhopeful99 wrote:
And honestly, why read the post with this subject if you're tired of these kind of posts?


Why does anyone read any thread?

OP: I'm curious what other people think, and I meant to point out the resources I listed for the benefit of anyone who wasn't aware of them.

BTW - TLS has splitters galore! There's a lot of info on this site that might be relevant to you.


In that case, thank you for the resources, I have already looked into all of them, but I do appreciate it.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1913
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:12 pm

ED at UVA or maybe NU is going to be your highest likelihood of securing a t13 acceptance and you should have a very good shot. If you really want t13 at sticker, 3.3-3.4 is about the lowest GPA I'd feel comfortable letting ride without ED outside of the possible exception of having a 180 LSAT.

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby splitmuch » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:15 pm

I cannot stress enough that you need to APPLY EARLY. I'm a 3.1 178 and my late apps got me a Cornell Reserve->accept, a NU hold->accept and a WUSTL accept with money. The rest were all WLs and dings. If you apply early you give yourself a good shot at GULC and it is your only shot at getting some (probably not much) money. Even late UVA EDs didn't fair too well.

Do you have WE? NU strongly prefers two years.

Id say GULC, Cornell, and NU are your best bets (or UVA ED) but apply early to give yourself the best shot at all of them and to be in the running for some money.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:16 pm

splitmuch wrote:I cannot stress enough that you need to APPLY EARLY. I'm a 3.1 178 and my late apps got me a Cornell Reserve->accept, a NU hold->accept and a WUSTL accept with money. The rest were all WLs and dings. If you apply early you give yourself a good shot at GULC and it is your only shot at getting some (probably not much) money. Even late UVA EDs didn't fair too well.

Do you have WE? NU strongly prefers two years.

Id say GULC, Cornell, and NU are your best bets (or UVA ED) but apply early to give yourself the best shot at all of them and to be in the running for some money.


That seems pretty average for your GPA.

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby splitmuch » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
splitmuch wrote:I cannot stress enough that you need to APPLY EARLY. I'm a 3.1 178 and my late apps got me a Cornell Reserve->accept, a NU hold->accept and a WUSTL accept with money. The rest were all WLs and dings. If you apply early you give yourself a good shot at GULC and it is your only shot at getting some (probably not much) money. Even late UVA EDs didn't fair too well.

Do you have WE? NU strongly prefers two years.

Id say GULC, Cornell, and NU are your best bets (or UVA ED) but apply early to give yourself the best shot at all of them and to be in the running for some money.


That seems pretty average for your GPA.


I don't really disagree, but the hold-accept, and reserve---accept (and GULC regular WL) make me feel as if I was very close to being shut out of T14. So while I squeaked by with Feb.1 applications this time, perhaps someone 4 points lower on the LSAT might not. My point is If he gets his applications in early he can probably be very confident that he'll get one. If he applies late, its not unthinkable that he gets shut out.

lawhopeful99
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby lawhopeful99 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:32 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
splitmuch wrote:I cannot stress enough that you need to APPLY EARLY. I'm a 3.1 178 and my late apps got me a Cornell Reserve->accept, a NU hold->accept and a WUSTL accept with money. The rest were all WLs and dings. If you apply early you give yourself a good shot at GULC and it is your only shot at getting some (probably not much) money. Even late UVA EDs didn't fair too well.

Do you have WE? NU strongly prefers two years.

Id say GULC, Cornell, and NU are your best bets (or UVA ED) but apply early to give yourself the best shot at all of them and to be in the running for some money.


That seems pretty average for your GPA.


I don't really disagree, but the hold-accept, and reserve---accept (and GULC regular WL) make me feel as if I was very close to being shut out of T14. So while I squeaked by with Feb.1 applications this time, perhaps someone 4 points lower on the LSAT might not. My point is If he gets his applications in early he can probably be very confident that he'll get one. If he applies late, its not unthinkable that he gets shut out.



Thanks, you're right, I will definitely look into applying early and probably EDing. I have been working full time for about 6 months, so is NU out?? (she btw) :)

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby splitmuch » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:35 pm

lawhopeful99 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
splitmuch wrote:I cannot stress enough that you need to APPLY EARLY. I'm a 3.1 178 and my late apps got me a Cornell Reserve->accept, a NU hold->accept and a WUSTL accept with money. The rest were all WLs and dings. If you apply early you give yourself a good shot at GULC and it is your only shot at getting some (probably not much) money. Even late UVA EDs didn't fair too well.

Do you have WE? NU strongly prefers two years.

Id say GULC, Cornell, and NU are your best bets (or UVA ED) but apply early to give yourself the best shot at all of them and to be in the running for some money.


That seems pretty average for your GPA.


I don't really disagree, but the hold-accept, and reserve---accept (and GULC regular WL) make me feel as if I was very close to being shut out of T14. So while I squeaked by with Feb.1 applications this time, perhaps someone 4 points lower on the LSAT might not. My point is If he gets his applications in early he can probably be very confident that he'll get one. If he applies late, its not unthinkable that he gets shut out.



Thanks, you're right, I will definitely look into applying early and probably EDing. I have been working full time for about 6 months, so is NU out?? (she btw) :)


Sorry, mam. I don't think NU is completely out. I actually started work in october and so will have less than a year when I begin. The interview will be very important for you, write a detailed why NW, and take on as much responsibility at your job as you can and try to get as good a rec as possible from your employer.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:35 pm

lawhopeful99 wrote:
Thanks, you're right, I will definitely look into applying early and probably EDing. I have been working full time for about 6 months, so is NU out?? (she btw) :)


This is important so remember this. On your application it says how many years have you worked, counting from graduation to matriculation. Since you've been working 6 months, and you won't matriculate until Sept 2012, you should put 2 years. They only ask for 1 digit so you round. You'd have 21 months, which rounds to 2 years.

This will help your chances by a fair margin. Dont' fuck it up.

powermike
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby powermike » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:05 pm

Hey Rock n' Roll, the forum is called "What are my chances?" So if you don't like that people post in it then why are you even looking through these posts. Seems kind of idiotic to me.

Best of luck to you in your apps. I have the exact same GPA and am scoring in that range on the LSAT without ever studying for it (yeah yeah yeah "come back with a real score" I know) and am targeting top 14. My advice is to apply wherever you want to go and to do your best with every app. Wayne Gretzky's quote applies, "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Don't be swayed by what you read on these forums and in the graphs (I'm not saying to apply to Yale, that may be futile). The right kind of candidate gets in where he/she belongs.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:12 pm

powermike wrote:Hey Rock n' Roll, the forum is called "What are my chances?" So if you don't like that people post in it then why are you even looking through these posts. Seems kind of idiotic to me.

+1. I like you.

OP: Obligatory ED to UVA advice. They have a 15 day turnaround on their ED decisions.

The thing is, as an rather extreme splitter, you won't get money from anywhere in the T14, so its not like you are losing out on potential scholly money by EDing. So if you are T14 or bust, pick your favorite MVP and ED. UVA is nice because their ED gives you a chance to take two shots early in the app cycle. NU's is shitty because they prohibit you from ED elsewhere even if they hold your app to the RD pool.

I'm your numbers twin (your LSAT is a bit better though)-and a strong UVA ED app on day one of the cycle got me in two days later. Best of luck to you.

CoriOlivia
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby CoriOlivia » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:40 am

I love reading these threads. I have a low GPA and anticipate an LSAT score close to yours based on PTs so I'm extremely interested in all of the advice given to splitters. Best of luck to you!

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby czelede » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:23 am

Desert Fox wrote:
lawhopeful99 wrote:Thanks! That's actually better than I was expecting! I went to NYU for undergrad and am looking to move to another city school. So I'd really like GT or NU.

I've heard that re-taking doesn't help, but if all the PT I've taken since then are about 2/3 points higher is it worth it?


Not with your GPA at least. Your LSAT is better than average at every school.


I think if you can pull off a score in the 177-180 range that may help, even though you are above median everywhere right now. I think a lot of schools still take their 75ths into consideration. I'm pretty sure I remember a 3.1/180 getting into NYU a year or two ago.

ilven
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:53 am

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby ilven » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:21 pm

^^Would 3.1/180 considered equal to 3.1/177? Would double-majors in EECS and Math from HYP make any difference? Would someone with 3.1/177and double-majors in EECS and Math from HYP (will finished in 4 years, no full time WE) have any shot at Columbia and NYU?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: 3.1 GPA and 174 LSAT

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:42 pm

ilven wrote:^^Would 3.1/180 considered equal to 3.1/177? Would double-majors in EECS and Math from HYP make any difference? Would someone with 3.1/177and double-majors in EECS and Math from HYP (will finished in 4 years, no full time WE) have any shot at Columbia and NYU?

Maybe at NYU, not at Columbia IIRC




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nycsoul87 and 3 guests