Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ExSpecOps
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Postby ExSpecOps » Mon May 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and I've recently became very interested in attending law school. I would like to solicit any ideas or opinion in what law schools to apply. My background is that I'm a 31 yr old African American male, I went into the navy after high school. I served 2 yrs in the presidential honor guard in Wash D.C, and spent an additional 3 years on an aircraft carrier. After 5 yrs on active duty. I went back to school to complete my undergrad. I joined the marine corps reserve for 4 years while completing my undergrad. After graduating i was inspired to join the Navy SEAL's and after some tough training i earned my SEAL's crest. So I did another 4 yrs in navy special ops training and with a SEAL's team. I've been out for about six months now, and looking to start a new career. I took the Feb LSAT and I am pretty happy with my score, but unfortunately i can not say the same about my UG GPA. I am looking to apply to the following schools, please let me know what you think! Thanks in advance.


Yale (I know this is an extreme reach, but I have to give it a shot anyways)
Harvard (another extreme reach)
Stanford
Chicago
Berkeley
Virginia
Northwestern
Cornell

stylishlaw
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:28 am

Re: Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Postby stylishlaw » Mon May 09, 2011 10:53 pm

I'd say you get into either one of Harvard or Yale.

No apps to Columbia or NYU?

jdhonest
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Postby jdhonest » Mon May 09, 2011 10:59 pm

ExSpecOps wrote:Hey guys, I'm new to the site and I've recently became very interested in attending law school. I would like to solicit any ideas or opinion in what law schools to apply. My background is that I'm a 31 yr old African American male, I went into the navy after high school. I served 2 yrs in the presidential honor guard in Wash D.C, and spent an additional 3 years on an aircraft carrier. After 5 yrs on active duty. I went back to school to complete my undergrad. I joined the marine corps reserve for 4 years while completing my undergrad. After graduating i was inspired to join the Navy SEAL's and after some tough training i earned my SEAL's crest. So I did another 4 yrs in navy special ops training and with a SEAL's team. I've been out for about six months now, and looking to start a new career. I took the Feb LSAT and I am pretty happy with my score, but unfortunately i can not say the same about my UG GPA. I am looking to apply to the following schools, please let me know what you think! Thanks in advance.


Yale (I know this is an extreme reach, but I have to give it a shot anyways)
Harvard (another extreme reach)
Stanford
Chicago
Berkeley
Virginia
Northwestern
Cornell


Holy.shit.

I'd blanket the T14, mainly for scholarship money leveraging options.

Here's another question: where do you want[b][/b] to go and what are your career aspirations. You may be better off going regional (still T-14) for free then stockpiling debt for prestige, and by the looks of your resume, you don't need any more prestige.

On the other hand, if you landed Harvard or Yale, I could well be addressing a future Senator (which isn't to say that you couldn't do it from any of those other schools).

So what do you want?

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Postby sundance95 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:16 pm

AA males with 170+ LSATs are what every law school adcom wants. Combined with your amazing softs, I'd be rather shocked if you did not get one of HYS. Apply everywhere, see who gives you $ and if it's enough to sway you from HYS.

ExSpecOps
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Re: Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Postby ExSpecOps » Tue May 10, 2011 2:32 am

I am thinking about Columbia and NYU as well, but would really love to attend HYS or Chicago. I will submit application to every school in the T-14. My Career goals aren't clear as of yet, I've thought about JAG, United States Attorneys Office, CIA General Counsel, or FBI Special Agent. I like and have researched all of those jobs. I am confident that i can secure a position with at least one if not all of the agencies, just as long as I don't screw up in law school. I am also going to start an NGO, along with a few of my colleagues.

ExSpecOps
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Re: Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Postby ExSpecOps » Tue May 10, 2011 2:40 am

jdhonest wrote:
ExSpecOps wrote:Hey guys, I'm new to the site and I've recently became very interested in attending law school. I would like to solicit any ideas or opinion in what law schools to apply. My background is that I'm a 31 yr old African American male, I went into the navy after high school. I served 2 yrs in the presidential honor guard in Wash D.C, and spent an additional 3 years on an aircraft carrier. After 5 yrs on active duty. I went back to school to complete my undergrad. I joined the marine corps reserve for 4 years while completing my undergrad. After graduating i was inspired to join the Navy SEAL's and after some tough training i earned my SEAL's crest. So I did another 4 yrs in navy special ops training and with a SEAL's team. I've been out for about six months now, and looking to start a new career. I took the Feb LSAT and I am pretty happy with my score, but unfortunately i can not say the same about my UG GPA. I am looking to apply to the following schools, please let me know what you think! Thanks in advance.


Yale (I know this is an extreme reach, but I have to give it a shot anyways)
Harvard (another extreme reach)
Stanford
Chicago
Berkeley
Virginia
Northwestern
Cornell


Holy.shit.

I'd blanket the T14, mainly for scholarship money leveraging options.

Here's another question: where do you want[b][/b] to go and what are your career aspirations. You may be better off going regional (still T-14) for free then stockpiling debt for prestige, and by the looks of your resume, you don't need any more prestige.

On the other hand, if you landed Harvard or Yale, I could well be addressing a future Senator (which isn't to say that you couldn't do it from any of those other schools).

So what do you want?


Not really sure, just a legal career in one of the agencies that I've mentioned. I did major in Poli Sci, but I'm not doing anything for future political leverage.

stoppre
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Re: Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Postby stoppre » Tue May 31, 2011 10:49 pm

Deleted
Last edited by stoppre on Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Postby 20121109 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:58 pm

Your credentials are obviously great. But people saying that you will probably get HYS are wrong because the lowest H dips for GPA is like a 3.2, and that was for a AA male who attended a UG notorious for grade deflation and scored a 172 with several years work experience. For Y and S, it's usually at least a 3.5. That being said, most people aren't AA males with a 171 LSAT and ridiculously sexy softs. So definitely send in your apps to HYS, but I would not bank on it. You're basically IN or at least WLed throughout the rest of the T14. Expect to get a lot of money thrown at you.

Also,

stoppre wrote:I'm not sure why you would post that you were in the SEAL teams, but that's obviously not true. Can you please explain why you would lie about that on this forum? Also, do you plan on lying on your law school applications, or just on this forum? Thanks and best of luck.


I loled.

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Postby kapachino » Tue May 31, 2011 11:20 pm

OP got smoked. LOL.

mikeditkaisgod
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Re: Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Postby mikeditkaisgod » Tue May 31, 2011 11:49 pm

stoppre wrote:Hey ExSpecOps...

You're not a SEAL. If you were you would know that it's not called a "SEAL's crest," it's called a "Trident," or a "Bird," or maybe even a "Budweiser," because it loosely resembles the Bud logo. I assure you that no one in the Teams has ever called it a "crest." You must not have gone through SEAL training, because you would have called it BUD/S (which stands for Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training). Even a quitter knows that. Also, it's a SEAL Team, not a "SEAL's team." Oh, and nobody does just four years in the Teams unless they get kicked out or find a way to get out early. Lastly, no real SEAL would post all of that info on this website.

As for your chances, you're either good enough to get into some good law schools or you're not. You just have to apply to find out. Nobody on this forum has a magic crystal ball, especially when you lie to them.

I'm not sure why you would post that you were in the SEAL teams, but that's obviously not true. Can you please explain why you would lie about that on this forum? Also, do you plan on lying on your law school applications, or just on this forum? Thanks and best of luck.


I actually just read OP's post and kind of thought that some of his stuff didn't add up. Before joining the Marine Corps (active or reserves) OP would have had to have gone back and done Marine Boot Camp, infantry school (or whatever they call it in the Marines) and then went to whatever the Marines call their job training (AIT for the Army). To me, that's just awkard because OP could have easily transitioned into the Navy reserves after completing his active duty requirement. Plus, OP transferred back into the Navy from the Marine reserves. Transferring from the Navy to the Marines is easy, but, from my understanding at least, transferring from the Marines into the Navy is nearly impossible.

I also thought it was weird that he didn't refer to SEAL training as BUD/S. As a matter of fact, that's when the red flag went up in my head.

Plus, OP's OP (lol) has some grammatical errors that make it hard to believe that he received a 171 on an LSAT.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Postby dpk711 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:59 pm

stylishlaw wrote:I'd say you get into either one of Harvard or Yale.

No.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:00 am

Given what recent posters have stated, this might be the weakest troll/flame ever. 120.

User avatar
blacklawboss
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Postby blacklawboss » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:05 am

sundance95 wrote:Given what recent posters have stated, this might be the weakest troll/flame ever. 120.


+1 WERD

f*** UVa
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Postby f*** UVa » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:10 pm

Wow all you TLS geniuses :oops: that know everything couldn't sniff out this troll? You got served! This guy probably buffed floors and chipped paint IF he ever actually served in the Navy or any other branch of the military. Which is very doubtful. :x

lawyertobe1
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Postby lawyertobe1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:19 pm

maybe the OP is still in high school planning the next 20 years of his life

User avatar
SgtL
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:00 am

Re: Update: What are my chances URM 3.0 GPA 171 LSAT,Ex Military

Postby SgtL » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:27 pm

Just a few FYIs. It would be ridiculous for anyone who does 5 years on Active Duty with any branch to then join the USMCR (Marine [b]Corps Reserve[/b] because the Marine Corps (We always capitalize Marine), is the only branch that requires you to attend their boot camp, even if you have prior military experience, AND more importantly, you will not graduate boot camp higher than an E-3, which would for many military members be a two grade demotion after 5 years of active duty service. (This information can be found on any website that prospective servicemembers seeking recruitment information would go to.)

Also, not sure why after BUDS you would need to do "4 yrs in navy special ops training..." BUDS is SEAL training. Unless you were training foreign military.

Anyway, I'm not in the business of calling people out, but I take lying about military service personally. Also, the STOLEN Valor Act makes it a felony to misrepresent your military service, or lack there of. Therefore, it would be extremely ironic if you applied to law schools with a fake resume. Not saying you're lying, but if you are, I'm not worried. It'll catch up soon enough.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lawlita and 1 guest