Georgetown or George Wash?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Chad

Georgetown or George Wash?

Postby Chad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:52 am

I got a 171 on my LSAT and have a master's in neuroscience. My grad school gpa was 3.65 and my undergrad was 3.5. I want to know what my odds are at getting a full ride to either Georgetown or GW. If anyone had a link to stats for the financial aid awards and amounts for the previous few classes that would be awesome. Thanks!

Patriot1208

Re: Georgetown or George Wash?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:25 pm

You'll be very competitive for gwu's ed program which provides a full ride and a housing stipend. You won't get a full ride at gtown but will be competitive for a small to moderate amount of money

bender18

Postby bender18 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:You'll be very competitive for gwu's ed program which provides a full ride and a housing stipend. You won't get a full ride at gtown but will be competitive for a small to moderate amount of money

GW's binding ED program DOES NOT provide a housing stipend. It covers the cost of tuition for 3 years. I think you're confusing the ED scholarship with their 106k offer they give to RD applicants.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:10 pm

bender18 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:You'll be very competitive for gwu's ed program which provides a full ride and a housing stipend. You won't get a full ride at gtown but will be competitive for a small to moderate amount of money

GW's binding ED program DOES NOT provide a housing stipend. It covers the cost of tuition for 3 years. I think you're confusing the ED scholarship with their 106k offer they give to RD applicants.

my bad

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:21 pm

A little surprised you would think you have any shot at GULC full scholly since you are 1 point above median for LSAT and I believe below median for UGPA (which is all that is considered). I think you have a very good shot at acceptance at GULC though. (Maybe I am missing that you are URM? In that case, possibly you would have shot at full scholly at GULC I think). I suppose you may get some money offered at GULC, but I suspect it is unlikely or that it would be a small amount if not URM.

I imagine you will get a nice scholly offer at GW, though I don't know how much that is likely to be. If you check Law School Numbers you can compare with people who had similar numbers and see what type of offers they got (though of course the info on there is not necessarily accurate). Actually TLS also has the stats section, and that may also help you get some idea of what you are looking at.

I personally would choose GULC, but that's just me. If you're looking at full-scholly for GW v. GULC at sticker I think it may be a tough decision, but that may not be giving GW enough credit because it obviously is a very good law school itself.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:24 pm

Chad wrote:I got a 171 on my LSAT and have a master's in neuroscience. My grad school gpa was 3.65 and my undergrad was 3.5. I want to know what my odds are at getting a full ride to either Georgetown or GW. If anyone had a link to stats for the financial aid awards and amounts for the previous few classes that would be awesome. Thanks!

Meh, I don't think GW ED is worth it. But then I'm one of those who thinks it's almost never worth it. I applied to GW RD and got the 105k offer (75% tuition plus first year housing). The ED offer if I'm not mistaken is full tuition, but not housing (~135k or so?) Honestly the two are pretty comparable.

30k is a lot of money, but that extra 30k is not worth having no other options, which is what ED would do.

dood

Postby dood » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:46 pm

bender18 wrote:

did this change? b/c i think u got it backwards, at least 2 years ago ED was presidential merit scholly, which is full + first year housing. RD is the 90K.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:49 pm

dood wrote:
bender18 wrote:

did this change? b/c i think u got it backwards, at least 2 years ago ED was presidential merit scholly, which is full + first year housing. RD is the 90K.

I applied RD and got 30k/year plus first year housing.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:59 pm

Last edited by bender18 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:29 pm

bender18 wrote:Yeah I guess it did change then. No housing stipend with ED but it covers full tuition so it's worth about 30k more than the ~106k deal they offer as a merit scholarship to some RD applicants.

I currently have to decide between GW @ 106k or GULC w/hopefully some need-based grant money. How does GW's LRAP compare to GULC's? And when GULC says that the median grant is about 15k, do they mean for a year or for all three years?

When it comes to LRAP, what I keep hearing is that a better LRAP program beats better scholarship $$ in most cases. I don't know from personal experience, though.

Personally, if my offer from GW is a positive sign of getting into Georgetown (crosses fingers), I'll take Georgetown.

Return to “What are my chances?”