Is my cycle essentially over?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Is my cycle essentially over?

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:23 pm

This is kind of for my peace of mind... my numbers are 3.49/173. I just got a 54k scholly at umich. I am thinking this will rule out V and P since they don't seem to give much merit aid to people with my numbers though if I get in I will try to negotiate. I also feel I will be WL'ed at both V and P since I am OOS for V and missed the first wave for P. The only way I could see something changing is a NYU/Chicago/Colombia acceptance which seems very unlikely. Should I just accept the likely outcome of my cycle or do you think there is a chance I will still have a choice to make?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Is my cycle essentially over?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Most would be overjoyed with a partial scholarship from Michigan. Your cycle is not over until you receive decisions from each law school.

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Is my cycle essentially over?

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:28 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Most would be overjoyed with a partial scholarship from Michigan. Your cycle is not over until you receive decisions from each law school.


Believe me I am. Very much so. I was just curious if other people thought this meant the end to my cycle barring a huge surprise.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Is my cycle essentially over?

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:28 pm

I am shocked you got that much from Mich. Congrats! yes you should be very happy because unless you are URM then CCN probably wont happen. Enjoy that scholly from Michigan!

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Is my cycle essentially over?

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:28 pm

Believe me I am. Very much so. I was just curious if other people thought this meant the end to my cycle barring a huge surprise.


Yes

/thread

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Is my cycle essentially over?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:30 pm

My best guess is that your LSAT score will get your application a serious read by every law school to which you have applied.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Is my cycle essentially over?

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Oh wow. I would take the Michigan offer no doubt.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Is my cycle essentially over?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Which brings up the point that individual preference matters. Although law school is far behind me, I would prefer Michigan & Northwestern (another school to which you have applied) over several of the others that are pending.

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Is my cycle essentially over?

Postby kkklick » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:44 pm

Are we talking about Michigan Ann Arbor? Take the offer OP....

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Is my cycle essentially over?

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks for the posts. I applied the first day apps came out so I have been stressing over decisions for a while now. I guess I can now sit back and relax.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Is my cycle essentially over?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:55 pm

You have a shot at nyu.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Is my cycle essentially over?

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:37 pm

OP: I had identical numbers (3.49/173), identical Michigan scholarship ($54k), and also a NYU acceptance. If you're deadset on NYC biglaw, I think NYU gives you a leg up that might be worth the extra $70,000 in tuition and COL. If that's not the case for you, Michigan can open every door around the country that NYU can, yet will do so for substantially less money. I took Michigan over NYU and haven't looked back.

Also, have you visited the two schools? They have very different feels, and I think a visit may help you figure out where you'll be happiest.

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Is my cycle essentially over?

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:00 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:OP: I had identical numbers (3.49/173), identical Michigan scholarship ($54k), and also a NYU acceptance. If you're deadset on NYC biglaw, I think NYU gives you a leg up that might be worth the extra $70,000 in tuition and COL. If that's not the case for you, Michigan can open every door around the country that NYU can, yet will do so for substantially less money. I took Michigan over NYU and haven't looked back.

Also, have you visited the two schools? They have very different feels, and I think a visit may help you figure out where you'll be happiest.


Well right now I don't have any other options that come close to UMich. I am aiming for big law but not necessarily in NYC. My biggest priorities are jobs prospects, followed by debt, followed by location. From lsn I figure if I end up getting in to one of CCN (though unlikely of course) it will come down to Umich vs NYU/UChi sticker at which point I will have a tough choice to make. Though I am not holding my breath for CCN. I guess what I am asking is barring a CCN acceptance my cycle is essentially over?

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: Is my cycle essentially over?

Postby hokie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:04 am

dabbadon8 wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:OP: I had identical numbers (3.49/173), identical Michigan scholarship ($54k), and also a NYU acceptance. If you're deadset on NYC biglaw, I think NYU gives you a leg up that might be worth the extra $70,000 in tuition and COL. If that's not the case for you, Michigan can open every door around the country that NYU can, yet will do so for substantially less money. I took Michigan over NYU and haven't looked back.

Also, have you visited the two schools? They have very different feels, and I think a visit may help you figure out where you'll be happiest.


Well right now I don't have any other options that come close to UMich. I am aiming for big law but not necessarily in NYC. My biggest priorities are jobs prospects, followed by debt, followed by location. From lsn I figure if I end up getting in to one of CCN (though unlikely of course) it will come down to Umich vs NYU/UChi sticker at which point I will have a tough choice to make. Though I am not holding my breath for CCN. I guess what I am asking is barring a CCN acceptance my cycle is essentially over?


I would say say. Congrats!

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Is my cycle essentially over?

Postby trudat15 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:01 am

OP we're almost numbers twins and I'm VERY jealous of your UM scholarship. Had I known that was in the cards, I might not have ED Chicago. In any case, I think you still have an outside shot at Chicago (if you were to get in, I think it would be off the WL) and NYU (maybe WL-in or just in), probably out at Columbia, so no, I dont think your cycle is over. Though if you were shut out from CCN, Michigan with that $$$ seems like a FANTASTIC option.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest