Looking for an advice

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TritonUCSD

Looking for an advice

Postby TritonUCSD » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:37 pm

Here is my situation:

Attended a community college and had 2.86 GPA. Worked in environmental energy and design industry for 8 years and decided to go to law school. Went back to community college and transferred to UCSD with a cumulative GPA of 3.42 (I got 36 units with straight As). I will graduate in the winter quarter with the UC GPA of 4.0, however 76 quarter units are A+ and 8 units are A. I checked my GPA on LSAC and it comes out to 3.81. I have 174 on my LSAT.

Question:

I want to attend a t10 law school. I have excellent recommendations from 7 professors and will graduate with the distinguish honors from UCSD PoliSci department and with Summa Cum Laude from my college (UCSD is divided into 6 colleges). I am a white male, an immigrant.

The only disadvantaged status I can claim is the fact that I will be the first from my ethnic group to have attended Stanford or Yale law schools (HLS has fair amount alumni with my ethnic background).

Most of my undergrad classes are PoliSci (with emphasis on policy and writing), Philosophy (logic, critical thinking, etc., with emphasis on writing) and environmental law/policy. I speak 5 foreign languages fluently (Russian, English, German, French, and Arabic) plus my native tongue. No, I am not Russian or of Slavic origin.

What are my chances of getting accepted in T3 (YHS), T6 (prefer Berkeley due to my interest in environmental and energy law) and T10 schools? Will the admissions officers weigh my initial academic misadventure lower than my recent record?

Thank you for your replies.

Regards

FuManChusco

Re: Looking for an advice

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Flame. 7 LORs? White male, yet an entire paragraph about your ethnicity? Come on.

ETA: Also, your LSDAS gpa may be lower when LSAC calculates it. Did you include the original 2.86 grades in your calculation. If this is somehow real, you have a chance at every school. HYS are rather unpredictable though and I believe you're under their median gpas.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:14 pm

I was trying to find which part is the most flame, the 7 LOR's did it for me, nice pick up on the ethnicity-talk.

TritonUCSD

Postby TritonUCSD » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:50 pm

The only reason I wrote about my ethnicity (not race) is because, according to an article I read, white immigrants from Eastern Europe have the lowest chance of getting accepted into the Ivy League schools. I don’t know how much credence I should give to the said article, it was written by Pat Buchannan, but I thought I would mention it in case it does bare some relevance.

LORs are from both the UCSD professors and my community college instructors. 2 LOR are from the UCSD professors whose classes I took, 1 is from a professor who I helped with a research project for a year and one is from a professor who mentored me for my senior honors research project. From CC my recommendations are from my English writing instructor and PoliSci instructor (took honors classes in CC). The last LOR came from the Middle East Policy instructor who wouldn’t give me A+ (99.5%, ranked 1st in class) because he doesn’t give A+ grades but offered to give me a LOR. Due to my earlier bad GPA, I was very conscientious of making sure to get good recommendations.

GPA is my actual GPA which is calculated by LSDAS however I am not planning on applying till next year, I will be interning in DC for 6 months after graduation.

There are 2 considerations which have me worried, 1 is my ethnicity for above stated reason, and 2nd is the fact that I am graduating from a public school. I have heard that there is a bias against public schools in the selection process at T3 LSs though I have not been able to find even anecdotal evidence.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:01 pm

TritonUCSD wrote:I don’t know how much credence I should give to the said article, it was written by Pat Buchannan

Reverse all his conclusions, blame/give credit to exactly the opposite of whomever he's blaming/crediting, and take the result as fact.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:57 pm

Pretty sure if you have a 2.86, you can't end up with an LSDAS 3.81.

serdog

Postby serdog » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:33 pm

I can't see why being the First from your ethnic group would hurt if anything you would get a small boast
Plus how do you know none have attended?

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:32 pm

He had 2.86 from community college, but then when he transferred to UCSD, virtually all of his grades were A+ (which is 4.3), so it's possible his final GPA is 3.81--still seems a little high, but give him the benefit of the doubt

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:35 pm

To answer your question, I think most schools will let your earlier grades slide. All most schools care about is your cumulative GPA anyway, and your cumulative GPA is pretty good. Besides, the 8 years of working between first going to school and then going back to school put even more distance between your old grades and your new ones. Will they look at your GPA like a 4.0, or 4.3? No, not even close. But they will consider your newer grades and weigh them slightly more heavily.

Good luck.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:38 pm

If this isn't a flame, you have a solid shot everywhere. You might as well blanket top 10, if top 10 is what you want, and compare acceptances and scholarships.

NZA

Postby NZA » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:40 pm

AreJay711 wrote:If this isn't a flame, you have a solid shot everywhere. You might as well blanket top 10, if top 10 is what you want, and compare acceptances and scholarships.

I think you've got it.

And OP: no need for the indefinite article in the Topic title.

Devila_C

Postby Devila_C » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:48 pm

I think your chances everywhere are great (especially since you did well at UCSD and proved yourself on a level playing field with the LSAT). Obvious T3s aren't guaranteed, so you'll just have to apply. I'd say write a diversity statement, write a 'why x' statement, and your PS should definitely highlight what you've done since your CC days. 8 years of work experience and then going back to Uni more than makes up for your misadventures in CC.

The one thing is 7 LORs? Are you planning on submitting all of them? I think some schools allow 3 or 4 max...it might be obnoxious if you send them 7. And really are they all saying different things? I'm guessing there's going to be alot of repetition in 7 LORs. 3 or 4 should be sufficient for an adcomm to know how your profs feel about you.

TritonUCSD

Postby TritonUCSD » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:56 am

What screwed my GPA was 6 Cs one of which was in accounting worth 5 semester units, rest were A’s. Subsequently I got 36 semester units of As after I returned which brought my cumulative GPA to 3.42 when I transferred to the UCSD.

Also, the Cs I received were in American History 13 and 14, PoliSci 102, Speech 4, Health 10, and Financial Accounting. None of which are related to me going to law school, where as hard subjects such as Calculus, Org. Chemistry, Biology, Critical Reasoning, Logic, Ethics, upper division PoliSci classes, Environmental Law and Policy, Comparative Pol. Analysis, Anthropology, etc I have all As and A+s. Basically my freshmen year was the problematic one.

I thought I could send different LORs to different schools, one is from a graduate of the Stanford Law School who is a professor at the UCSD, another is from a former Harvard professor who does research at the UCSD; he is my mentor for the senior honors research project to get “Distinguished Honors” on my diploma. 3 of my LORs deal with my academic performance and critical thinking, 2 are about my work ethics in terms of research and analytical skills. I did not intend to have that many but at first I was afraid not to have any and every professor I had for 2 classes I asked for a LOR, they cost me numerous office visits, brownnosing TAs, and bunch of study groups (if I was helpful to students I asked them to mention it to professor). I lucked out on a research opportunity since the UCSD Poli Sci department had only one Professor fluent in Russian and I was able to translate and research Russian language sources and the professor, who is from Germany so I do not know how relevant her recommendation will be, offered to write me one since she knew I was planning on going to law school. I do not need all 7 but I have them in case I end up on the waiting list.

Also, from what I gathered on this website I do not need a LOR from my former employer, is this correct? I can score a personal LOR from a former US Senator; will it help or do professors’ LORs matter more since they saw me in an academic setting? And I interned for Meg Whitman's campaign for 6 months, I have over 250 hours logged there.

I don't care about Yale and Harvard as much as Stanford since I would like to stay in CA and Stanford has a strong environmental and energy law programs.

Return to “What are my chances?”