3.0/163 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dlanderer

New

3.0/163

Post by dlanderer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:09 pm

This is my first post.

Went to a top 40 UG. My GPA really suffered because my mom killed herself my first semester of college and my sister died a year later from heart complications. I spent a great deal of time commuting back and forth from school to be with the family and I had to work to pay for my education since my mother was the breadwinner in the family and that revenue stream wasn't available anymore. In any case, there is definitely an upward trend in GPA. Took the LSAT once; after 4 months of studying I scored 163. What are my chances at any of the top 50 law schools?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Top 40 UG
UGPA: 3.06
LSAT: 163
Major: Poli Sci

FuManChusco

Silver

Re: 3.0/163

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:26 pm

dlanderer wrote:This is my first post.

Went to a top 40 UG. My GPA really suffered because my mom killed herself my first semester of college and my sister died a year later from heart complications. I spent a great deal of time commuting back and forth from school to be with the family and I had to work to pay for my education since my mother was the breadwinner in the family and that revenue stream wasn't available anymore. In any case, there is definitely an upward trend in GPA. Took the LSAT once; after 4 months of studying I scored 163. What are my chances at any of the top 50 law schools?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Top 40 UG
UGPA: 3.06
LSAT: 163
Major: Poli Sci
I wanted to make fun of you so much for listing that you went top a Top 40 and I guess I kind of am by writing this. Anyway, that sucks dude. Write an addendum explaining your circumstances. Your numbers aren't fantastic by any stretch of the imagination, but you might pull an acceptance. The main thing you have to start thinking about is getting the ranking system out of your head. Top50 is a meaningless distinction since most of the schools outside of the T14 are regional. Figure out where you want to practice and then compile a list of schools. Hell, specify your preferred region and TLS will help you. I honestly would be interested in your PT average. Was a 163 low for you or are you happy with it?

dlanderer

New

Post by dlanderer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:34 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was scoring 159-166 on practice tests toward the end. Scored 147 on my diagnostic so I'm happy with my score. I would like to practice law in my state of residence--California. What schools would you recommend I apply to with my score and gpa?

Thanks again

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm

You've obviously been through some hard times in life, so I would definitely write about it in your PS also write an addendum for that GPA, if I were you, since you're from Cali, I would target schools like:

UC Davis (Probably out but worth the app)
UC Hastings (slim shot)
Pepperdine (slim shot)
Loyola (50/50)
U San Diego (Probably In)
Chapman (In)
Santa Clara (In)

By the way are you URM? If you are, disregard this post and you may get some T30 acceptances.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:02 pm

chapman will give you good money, if you want socal its your best option.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”