Chances - 3 LSAT scores, Low GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lavidaloca

New

Chances - 3 LSAT scores, Low GPA

Post by lavidaloca » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:40 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster. May sound like a flame, but I assure you, it's not. For what it's worth, I also recently was diagnosed ADHD, which may explain some of the decisions I've made in my law school process (my Doc certainly thinks so).

GPA: 3.19 (thank God for summer classes or it'd be <3.0)
LSAT: One VERY low (think <150), low 160s, 171

Major operation before the first, second was 171, third was 160s (dont ask why I retook - this was all pre-TLS when I had no idea what I was doing). Third time I took it I had to go to Taiwan right after for another medical issue.

Applied last year at the deadline, crap PS, no addenda for anything. Again, before I found TLS. Rejected everywhere (including a TTT that I thought was a gimme with the 171). Thankful because now I know what I'm doing and will apply much more focused and aware of LS admissions.

Signed up for the Dec LSAT to take again. I know most will say dont, but PTing in high 170s right now. Most schools take highest, and I'm out at any school that doesn't anyways. If I feel I did poorly, I'll just cancel. Plan to have everything ready right when the score comes out, including Why X's, a much stronger PS, addenda, etc.

I dont need to hear your opinions on how stupid I am for retaking the 171. What's done is done. Cant change it, and those opinions don't help. My knowledge obviously is much more in depth than it was last year.

What would help is any advice on where to apply, where I can get in, EDing, etc. Any hope on a UVa ED? GULC? I'm too late for NW obviously. Fordham? Loyola LA? Have average-weak softs (4 years WE - 5 by the time I enter, some volunteer work, fluent in Chinese and English, elementary Spanish, Korean and Japanese), decent LORs.

paratactical

Platinum

Re: Chances - 3 LSAT scores, Low GPA

Post by paratactical » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:45 pm

How close together were your previous LSATs?

EDIT: Also have any of them expired or did you petition to take again?

lavidaloca

New

Post by lavidaloca » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:51 pm

paratactical wrote:How close together were your previous LSATs?

140s was a Sept 07 administration, 171 was a June 08. 160s was Sept 09. Didnt apply right after June because of family/medical situation. Too bad, because then I wouldnt have taken Sept 09. But what can you do.

All on record (since they stay on for 5 years). Contemplated waiting 5 years for the 140s to drop out, but dont think I can wait that long.

Dont need to petition since it's 3 years since my first LSAT (I think it's 3 tests in a 2 year period).

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:55 pm

lavidaloca wrote:
paratactical wrote:How close together were your previous LSATs?

140s was a Sept 07 administration, 171 was a June 08. 160s was Sept 09. Didnt apply right after June because of family/medical situation. Too bad, because then I wouldnt have taken Sept 09. But what can you do.

All on record (since they stay on for 5 years). Contemplated waiting 5 years for the 140s to drop out, but dont think I can wait that long.

Dont need to petition since it's 3 years since my first LSAT (I think it's 3 tests in a 2 year period).
Got it.

I think this is a difficult situation for anyone to answer for you, but my $.02 is that if I were you, I'd be particularly wary of waiting to apply until after scores were back from December and I wouldn't want to apply before the scores were back incase (knock on wood) I did really well or really poorly again.

It seems like not the advice you want, but have you considered taking in Dec and waiting until next year to apply and applying as early as you're allowed? With someone with such interesting softs and such a unique LSAT history, you might be better off being a really early applicant.

lavidaloca

New

Post by lavidaloca » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:19 pm

paratactical wrote: Got it.

I think this is a difficult situation for anyone to answer for you, but my $.02 is that if I were you, I'd be particularly wary of waiting to apply until after scores were back from December and I wouldn't want to apply before the scores were back incase (knock on wood) I did really well or really poorly again.

It seems like not the advice you want, but have you considered taking in Dec and waiting until next year to apply and applying as early as you're allowed? With someone with such interesting softs and such a unique LSAT history, you might be better off being a really early applicant.
Thanks for your input. I'm not 100% opposed to waiting a year and applying in Sept next year, but I really would like to go now if possible (for family reasons), but can see why being an early applicant would be helpful to my crazy application, especially since I'm in for an unpredictable cycle.

As for Dec, I am planning to apply as soon as the scores come back, but you think that might be a little late for me? I was thinking of submitting right away if I cancelled, or waiting until scores, adjusting my LSAT addendum accordingly, and submitting. Do I have no shot at a late Dec UVa ED then GULC ED? Again, I realize that no one will know given how unique my app will be compared to a standard applicant. Just fishing for opinions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:45 pm

lavidaloca wrote:

Thanks for your input. I'm not 100% opposed to waiting a year and applying in Sept next year, but I really would like to go now if possible (for family reasons), but can see why being an early applicant would be helpful to my crazy application, especially since I'm in for an unpredictable cycle.

As for Dec, I am planning to apply as soon as the scores come back, but you think that might be a little late for me? I was thinking of submitting right away if I cancelled, or waiting until scores, adjusting my LSAT addendum accordingly, and submitting. Do I have no shot at a late Dec UVa ED then GULC ED? Again, I realize that no one will know given how unique my app will be compared to a standard applicant. Just fishing for opinions.
I think you do have a shot at a late UVa ED or GULC ED but it would definitely, without a doubt, depend on your score. If you can pull >173 you would be looking a lot safer.

EDIT: can you write any kind of addenda for your GPA (re: do you have an excuse for it?) Also, take the time to really polish up that PS and resume - it is my opinion that splitters are all borderline candidates in their own way, and the entire application package is more important than it would be for non-splitters.

lavidaloca

New

Post by lavidaloca » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:02 pm

czelede wrote:
lavidaloca wrote:

I think you do have a shot at a late UVa ED or GULC ED but it would definitely, without a doubt, depend on your score. If you can pull >173 you would be looking a lot safer.

EDIT: can you write any kind of addenda for your GPA (re: do you have an excuse for it?) Also, take the time to really polish up that PS and resume - it is my opinion that splitters are all borderline candidates in their own way, and the entire application package is more important than it would be for non-splitters.
Thanks for the info. I'm really hoping for something in the mid 170s, so hopefully I'll be able to pull something off. If I dont score as well (cancel), do you think the 171 and > 3 GPA gives me a shot? I hear 170+ and 3+ has a good shot at UVa, though I dont know how good of a shot with a late ED app.
As far as GPA is concerned, I have no excuse except that I was really really lazy in undergrad. I never thought I would pursue anything other than a BA, so didnt care about my grades much. I guess I can say I was ADHD throughout but didnt know it, but I only recently got diagnosed so I dont think I'll try. Though I do plan on writing a really strong PS and my resume is pretty strong, I think.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:28 pm

ED UVa. You'll have a shot, just make your LSAT addendum good since you have such wild fluctuations. They should take your 171, or whatever you get in Dec.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”