Is December/January too late for UVA ED? (166/3.94) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
HeavenWood

Gold

Is December/January too late for UVA ED? (166/3.94)

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:44 pm

I know a lot of applicants have had luck with UVA this cycle. I also know that December/January is not September/October. How greatly will my chances diminish? What's a semi-reverse splitter to do?
Last edited by HeavenWood on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Re: Is December/January too late for UVA ED? (166/3.94)

Post by bgdddymtty » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm

To answer your question succinctly: no, it's not too late.

That said, you need to figure out where you actually want to go to school. You're looking at two law schools that are extremely close in ranking but in little else.

What kind of environment do you want to live in? One of your choices is in one of the ten biggest cities in the U.S.; the other is in a metro area of less than 200,000 people.

What kind of experience do you want? One of your choices is known for being a very traditional, button-down law school; the other has a (well-earned, if somewhat exaggerated) reputation for being a place of beer, frattiness, and softball.

Where do you want to work? School A places 2/3 of its students in the Tri-state area (NY-NJ-PA); School B places about 1/3 each in Washington, D.C. and New York.

There are a lot of other questions that you should probably ask in order to compare and contrast the schools you're looking at, but these should provide a start. You're going to spend $200,000 and determine where you're going to be for the next 5-10 years or more. Don't do it based on a magazine and a dartboard.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:04 pm

HeavenWood wrote:For better or worse, I'm taking a Hail Mary pass at Penn ED. Barring a miracle though, I know I'm a likely hold/reject. When that happens...
I don't think your Penn ED chances are that bad. Their 25th percentile is 166, and they raised their median GPA to 3.85 last cycle, so you should having a fighting chance with ED.

They took every ED that hit one median: http://penn.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... =3&type=jd

Sub-167 accepts: http://penn.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... ,6&type=jd

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Besides a fleeting chance at Cornell and a crapshoot at Berkeley, UVA ED is by far my best chance at the T14. It's an opportunity I feel I can't afford to pass up.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:49 pm

You should be in. It seems like UVA fills up on its normal splitters earlier than reverse splitters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:40 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:You should be in. It seems like UVA fills up on its normal splitters earlier than reverse splitters.
Let's hope so... I've a reverse-splitter whose ED application is pending review at UVA. OP has better stats, though. Selfishly, I hope he/she waits until I get my decision to apply :lol:

profizzle

Bronze

Post by profizzle » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:05 pm

If this person applies to UVA ED in Jan, or even as late as Feb, and gets denied--- will this affect his/her application in any way if she reapplies Sept. 1 UVA ED for the next cycle? In other words, is a late UVA ED app in Feb (immediately after the Feb lsat but before the March 1 deadline) going to adversely affect that applicant if they apply for the next year ED, 7 months later? Or, are the two admissions decisions made in a independently of each other? I'm trying to figure out if there is any real negative to applying for UVA Fall 11 cycle (other than the app fee) and I'll likely have similar #s as OP. TYIA

profizzle

Bronze

Post by profizzle » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:15 pm

Last edited by profizzle on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”