Any socio-econ affirmative action boost?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
OldManWinter

Any socio-econ affirmative action boost?

Postby OldManWinter » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:56 am

I am a first generation immigrant from Central Asia and though my parents work very hard, they do not make very much money. I was able to attend a T10 undergrad university with the help of a Pell Grant and very generous need-based aid.

I know that I am not a URM, but was wondering if there were any schools that practice affirmative action based upon socio-economic circumstances. I noticed that UC Berkeley's application asked for family income and highest education attained by parents and was hoping that it indicated that Berkeley considers socio-economic conditions as a part of their affirmative action calculation.

Any insight from the wider community?

RPK34

Re: Any socio-econ affirmative action boost?

Postby RPK34 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:10 am

May make a small difference or give a slight boost, but it's not like undergrad where it can make a huge difference. A lot of schools will allow you to write an essay on overcoming economic or social hardships.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:12 pm

Maybe Berkeley since they have a truly holistic process.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:17 pm

This is not an unusual situation for immigrants, I don't think that you will get a substantial boost.

Socio-economic boosts are more likely to go to traditionally socially disadvantaged groups. The idea is to encourage those who otherwise might not attend school to actually go.

Return to “What are my chances?”