Short girl lawyers?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mdnitebalo
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:13 pm

Short girl lawyers?

Postby mdnitebalo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:49 pm

I am 5'2 and a very hard working and ambitious girl. I'm worried that I won't be taken seriously as a short person in law practice or big law. What should I do, should I pursue my dreams, or let it go because no one will take my seriously given my height? Otherwise, I am dedicated to achieving my goals and am a very accomplished person if I do say so myself.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby Unemployed » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:51 pm

mdnitebalo wrote:I am 5'2 and a very hard working and ambitious girl. I'm worried that I won't be taken seriously as a short person in law practice or big law. What should I do, should I pursue my dreams, or let it go because no one will take my seriously given my height? Otherwise, I am dedicated to achieving my goals and am a very accomplished person if I do say so myself.


Depends on whether you are fat.

(I am half serious)

mdnitebalo
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:13 pm

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby mdnitebalo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:52 pm

No definitely not fat.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:53 pm

5'2 isnt nearly short enough for you to get too worried imo

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby rayiner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:53 pm

mdnitebalo wrote:I am 5'2 and a very hard working and ambitious girl. I'm worried that I won't be taken seriously as a short person in law practice or big law. What should I do, should I pursue my dreams, or let it go because no one will take my seriously given my height? Otherwise, I am dedicated to achieving my goals and am a very accomplished person if I do say so myself.


You're only a couple of inches shorter than average. It's no big deal. Wear heels if it bothers you.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:54 pm

mdnitebalo wrote:I am 5'2 and a very hard working and ambitious girl. I'm worried that I won't be taken seriously as a short person in law practice or big law. What should I do, should I pursue my dreams, or let it go because no one will take my seriously given my height? Otherwise, I am dedicated to achieving my goals and am a very accomplished person if I do say so myself.


The rumors are true. Partners put their height right below those fancy T14 diplomas on the wall.

If you truly have considered giving up on this dream because of your height, you should reconsider if you really want it that badly.

User avatar
Lonagan
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby Lonagan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:55 pm

If that's all that's holding you back you're good to go.

User avatar
Rikkugrrl
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby Rikkugrrl » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:58 pm

mdnitebalo wrote:I am 5'2 and a very hard working and ambitious girl. I'm worried that I won't be taken seriously as a short person in law practice or big law. What should I do, should I pursue my dreams, or let it go because no one will take my seriously given my height? Otherwise, I am dedicated to achieving my goals and am a very accomplished person if I do say so myself.


My 4"11 roommate would lol at this thread.

5"2/=ridiculously short. I'm 5"5 and I've always thought I was too tall. Relax.

Edit: I read this as "shot girl lawyers."

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:05 pm

A bit of serious advice: If you're worried that you won't be taken seriously, a good step to take is to stop referring to yourself as a girl and start using the words "woman" and "female".

balenciagar
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:58 pm

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby balenciagar » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:34 pm

I am 5''2, and I didn't even know there were height issues before I saw this thread. Ugh

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:35 pm

balenciagar wrote:I am 5''2, and I didn't even know there were height issues before I saw this thread. Ugh


Let me give a thorough explanation of the height issue: there isn't one.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby r6_philly » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:36 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:A bit of serious advice: If you're worried that you won't be taken seriously, a good step to take is to stop referring to yourself as a girl and start using the words "woman" and "female".


I see your point, but I disagree.

OP:
5'2 is nowhere near "short" considering the average height of Asian girls is lower than that, and law schools have plenty of those.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:A bit of serious advice: If you're worried that you won't be taken seriously, a good step to take is to stop referring to yourself as a girl and start using the words "woman" and "female".


I see your point, but I disagree.

OP:
5'2 is nowhere near "short" considering the average height of Asian girls is lower than that, and law schools have plenty of those.


I see your point, but I disagree.

The average height of Asian girls is actually 5'2" - 5'2.5"

:P

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:45 pm

What about short guy lawyers? Will I be taken seriously at 5'7"?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:46 pm

There's a girl at my school who can't be more than 4'5".

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:48 pm

People, we are talking about law here, not modeling. Get over the height thing; it is a non-issue.

Thanks, OP, for starting a chain of self-consciousness and worry.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby r6_philly » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:50 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
I see your point, but I disagree.

The average height of Asian girls is actually 5'2" - 5'2.5"

:P


Man you see some tall Asian girls then. The average around here is 5'1 and 3/4 :lol:

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:14 am

I gained 4 pounds this week from LSAT stress, will law firms hate me now?

[only 1/16th serious]

@OP - Woman up. You're a disgrace to us all, seriously.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7963
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby Pleasye » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:20 am

Are you seriously thinking of giving up on your goals because you're 5'2?

I'm 4'11 so GTFO and STFU

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby ArchRoark » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:28 am

Image

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:47 am

I've actually heard the problem is tall female lawyers not short

so tall women should never wear heals etc. because it really hurts the egos of the old male partners... this sucks being almost 5'11"

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:47 am

I dont know if I can take this tread seriously, because you are so short and female.

darjeelingdarling
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:49 am

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby darjeelingdarling » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:15 am

Adjudicator wrote:What about short guy lawyers? Will I be taken seriously at 5'7"?


Now this is a more serious concern. Height in men directly correlates with income.

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby ATR » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 am

sophia.olive wrote:I dont know if I can take this tread seriously, because you are so short and female.

+1

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Short girl lawyers?

Postby kazu » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:06 am

Does no one else think this is a flame? Really?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests