Was on academic probabtion in college. Am I doomed?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sfgiantsfan

Was on academic probabtion in college. Am I doomed?

Postby sfgiantsfan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:11 pm

My first year of college I was on academic probation twice. I was a total emotional wreck my first 2 years (coming to terms with sexuality blah blah blah). My gpa sucks! My first two years I have a 2.5 and my last two years I got my shit together with a 3.5. My LSAT is 162. I realize I can't get into any top schools. I'm looking into USF, McGeorge, Southwestern (I know people talk shit on it but I want to go into entertainment law and they have a good program for that). I'm a white, gay, female and I competed in Division I athletics. Chances?

pocket herc

Re: Was on academic probabtion in college. Am I doomed?

Postby pocket herc » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:14 pm

I was on academic probation and eventually asked to leave. Basically started school all over again and got my shit together. Still got into law school. It might make a little bit of difference that I had a 3.8 for four years following my troubles, but I don't see you being particularly hurt. What matters is your cumulative GPA, that is really all that schools will care about. So I think you'll be fine.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:22 pm

It's a numbers game. Your ugpa at the end matters far more than how you got it. I'm sure being academic probation on your record matters in marginal cases, much like a hard technical degree vs. a B.A. in history matters in marginal cases. It would also probably matter if you tanked at the end instead of in the beginning. In your case you started rough and grew up. Big deal.

Dman

Postby Dman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:40 pm

I am a non-trad student who got booted (academic suspension) from my first university. Although I think I did better with my numbers than the predictor sites say, my LSAC GPA was something I could not shake and it definitely impacted my admissions cycle negatively. (graduating Institution 3.68, first institution 1.8, LSAC GPA 2.85). Some t2 schools will still pay well in scholly money for a high LSAT and could be an angle you might look into.

For me, I did well enough to transfer and got into a school I could never of had a shot at with my GPA. Not that I am condoning thinking you can transfer mentality, but there are backdoors around the GPA wall for people who failed to perform early in their academic careers.

Soda Mixer

Postby Soda Mixer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:35 pm

I don't have much to add to the responses given other than to wish you luck. However, I will say that the Giants need to get their collective shit together offensively. I'm hella tired of these 1-0 losses.

Carry on, and good luck with your applications!

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:00 pm

Not doomed because of academic probation. I had the same issue and ended up at a T6.

Can you up that LSAT with that retake?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:43 pm

The better question is, did you play Softball?

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:48 pm

Or throw shot put?

sporkdevil

Postby sporkdevil » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:27 pm

As long as it's minor (alcohol?) and you haven't gotten into trouble for awhile, it doesn't matter. If you have 5 DUI's leading up to last week, you are probably fucked.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:33 pm

Is it "throw shot put" or "put shot" ?

Return to “What are my chances?”