My friends say I'm crazy but I'm right aren't I? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Re: My friends say I'm crazy but I'm right aren't I?

Post by Upton Sinclair » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:34 pm

beachbum wrote:First of all, hey numbers-twin! Second of all, I don't think your ED chances are as bleak as you seem to think they are (though I could be a little biased...). Northwestern loves the work experience and the 170+ scores- you'll probably get in with an ED. UVa has also been very accommodating to ED applicants with 3.0+ 170+ numbers; I'd say you stand a fighting chance there as well. (I'm not overly familiar with Michigan, so I'll let someone else comment on that one).

In any case, good luck. I'm right there with you (sans work experience).
Good luck to you as well.

Kafka

New

Post by Kafka » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:35 pm

You actually have a decent shot at Cornell lol. Don't rule that out.

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:38 pm

Kafka wrote:You actually have a decent shot at Cornell lol. Don't rule that out.
Ha. I'm going to have no problem going to hell when I die, I'd rather not go voluntarily.

Kafka

New

Post by Kafka » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:42 pm

I'd go to Cornell over UPenn State at Philadelphia.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:45 pm

Kafka wrote:You actually have a decent shot at Cornell lol. Don't rule that out.
Yup. For what it's worth, I plan on applying to everything from Michigan through WUSTL. I'm hopin that with so many Considers at the bottom of the T14, at least one of them will hit on a regular decision. Of course, the caveat is that I would be very excited to end up at a school like Vandy (i.e. not T14-or-bust).

I also have the opportunity to raise my GPA to ~3.49 this semester, though I would take your work experience over my marginal GPA boost.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:50 pm

beachbum wrote:
Yup. For what it's worth, I plan on applying to everything from Michigan through WUSTL. I'm hopin that with so many Considers at the bottom of the T14, at least one of them will hit on a regular decision. Of course, the caveat is that I would be very excited to end up at a school like Vandy (i.e. not T14-or-bust).

I also have the opportunity to raise my GPA to ~3.49 this semester, though I would take your work experience over my marginal GPA boost.
My problem is that I am very picky about location (hence why I won't throw apps to Cornell or Duke). I love Vandy as a school, but I can't see myself living/working in the south.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:16 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
beachbum wrote:

My problem is that I am very picky about location (hence why I won't throw apps to Cornell or Duke). I love Vandy as a school, but I can't see myself living/working in the south.
Ithaca is nice....for a few weeks during the year.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:31 pm

jayn3 wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:
jayn3 wrote:To be honest, with your numbers I would just blanket the T5-20. The 170 will most likely get you fee waivers to a number of the lower ranked schools, and maybe even some $$...which could be used for leverage at a school you'd prefer to attend. Apply early in the cycle, make your PS very convincing (peer edits and career services are useful here), and I would be surprised if you didn't hit some of the T14.
So you think it would be better to apply in September, as opposed to chance a retake in October and apply a tad later?

Also, if I did retake and hit a 172, I would be in RD at one of the lower t14 right?

Edited to say thank you to everyone for your help so far.
Well, I'm by no means an authoritative source, but I would imagine a two-point increase wouldn't be worth sacrificing the extra month. A 5-point increase might, but unless you're PTing close to 180 I wouldn't expect this.

I'm also no expert, but I would imagine that getting a two point bump would be significant if it takes you over the median or 75th at the schools you are applying to. Given that your GPA is going to be below the 25th at all the T14, it may be worth it to retake to bump your LSAT above the 75th to increase your odds. As it is, I dont know offhand, but you seem to be at just about the median at schools mentioned. If you really want to maximize an ED, the Mich/UVA double dip seems like a good idea, given that an ED to NU makes another ED that cycle impossible.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:46 am

Since you have WE and prefer Chicago, NU ED is your best bet here. Michigan isn't very splitter friendly, even with ED, and your chances are worse for UVA ED, especially as a nonresident.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks for the responses so far everyone. I'm leaning toward a retake since I don't have much to lose. Even if I fell to like a 169 I don't think it changes my situation much if at all.

QuailMan

New

Post by QuailMan » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:28 pm

just to throw my experience out there, I had a similar first LSAT score and when I finished my thesis in early April I figured since I didnt have much to do, I could try to study again and retake (Before the Sep '09 test I was scoring 175+ in practice). Ended up scoring 2 pts lower, so basically lost 1pt assuming a school averages.

All I'd say is, it's hard to get yourself to cancel. Schools probably aren't going to care about one canceled score so unless you walk out feeling like you killed it, I'd cancel, even if you feel like you have a decent chance of adding 1 or 2 pts.

Again, not really a horror story, I'm sure my list of acceptances wont change, but just to keep in mind.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”