3.3 URM with Questions Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Barrister48

New

3.3 URM with Questions

Post by Barrister48 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:37 am

3.3 GPA, Taking LSAT in February. Practicing around 166-169. URM. great softs. work experience.. I am concerned about retaking 2 courses and withdrawing from another and how that will affect my application. I want to practice in Southern California, South Florida, or Chicago. My goal is to graduate law with the least amount of debt as possible, even if it means going to a lower ranked school. Not really concerned about employment prospects.
Schools:
UCLA,USC,Pepperdine,Loyola, UCI, San Diego, Chapman, UC Davis, UC Hastings, Santa Clara
Arizona, Arizona State,
U of I, Northwestern(?), GW, Georgetown, U of Miami, UF..maybe a few other T14s

What are your thoughts?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: 3.3 URM with Questions

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:48 am

What kind of URM are you?

URM splitters are very difficult to determine; usually URM boost comes in the form of overlooking a low LSAT score, not a low GPA. However, a 3.3 isn't as low as some people have had to deal with. Still, URM or not, your best option is to just kill the LSAT; February is a long way away (why aren't you taking in October?) and if you're practicing in the 160s now you should be able to push yourself into the 170s. Then you'll write your own ticket to the T14. 170 + URM = at least some $$ from the T14, and probably full rides from T25s.

It all depends on your LSAT though, at this point. But even if you're in the mid-160s, forget Pepperdine, San Diego, and anything in the T2 range. You should definitely be able to get into multiple T1 schools you'd be eager to attend.

Barrister48

New

Post by Barrister48 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:54 am

vanwinkle wrote:What kind of URM are you?

URM splitters are very difficult to determine; usually URM boost comes in the form of overlooking a low LSAT score, not a low GPA. However, a 3.3 isn't as low as some people have had to deal with. Still, URM or not, your best option is to just kill the LSAT; February is a long way away (why aren't you taking in October?) and if you're practicing in the 160s now you should be able to push yourself into the 170s. Then you'll write your own ticket to the T14. 170 + URM = at least some $$ from the T14, and probably full rides from T25s.

It all depends on your LSAT though, at this point. But even if you're in the mid-160s, forget Pepperdine, San Diego, and anything in the T2 range. You should definitely be able to get into multiple T1 schools you'd be eager to attend.
I am black and Dominican. I am taking it in February because I want to have the extra time to nail it and if I dont do as well as I want, I have the option to take it in June. I am applying next fall. My main goal is the least amount of debt so hopefully a high 160 or low 170 would help make that possible.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:56 am

Probably no need for the double post. It might help if all the opinions came in one thread instead of two.

Anyways, one thing you might want to be aware of: if the 3.3 is calculated by only taking into account the higher grade in the two classes you retook, your LSAC GPA will probably be a little bit lower. A withdrawal won't matter in the slightest, until is a withdrawal-fail, in which case it will count as an F and further reduce your LSAC GPA.

For the rest, vanwinkle is credited.
Last edited by clintonius on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:56 am

In that case, study as hard and long as you can, do as well as you can, and come back after you have your score. People will be able to give you much more accurate and specific advice once it's known what your actual score is, and you'll have plenty of time to ponder people's answers and decide where to apply before the cycle starts the following fall.

LSAT is all that matters right now. Nothing else can be determined until your LSAT score is known.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:57 am

Barrister48 wrote:I am concerned about retaking 2 courses
Both the original grade and the new grade will be factored into your GPA for a class you retook, even if your undergrad institution doesn't factor in both.

Barrister48

New

Post by Barrister48 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:59 am

Thanks guys. FYI the 3.3 GPA already has taken into account the W and the two retakes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”