Peace Corps bump?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
FlamingCow

Peace Corps bump?

Postby FlamingCow » Wed May 05, 2010 12:59 am

Hi all. I'm getting ready to start planning my attack for this fall, and I'm curious if I could expect any reasonable bump from my Peace Corps service. Should I expect a cycle like any other 3.7/172 kid out there, or would any of the top 6 be more likely to take a shot with me?

Renzo

Re: Peace Corps bump?

Postby Renzo » Wed May 05, 2010 1:01 am

Peace corp is impressive. I can't say how much it will matter, but its about as good a soft factor as anyone can imagine. One of my favorite friends in law school was in the peace corp, and not only is she great, but employers are universally impressed when we go to networking events.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Wed May 05, 2010 1:29 am

While I can't honestly answer your question and say which t-6 would consider the Peace Corps in the kindest light, I would say that you should apply to any school you are remotely interested in with those numbers (on http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/, the only schools where you don't get at least a "consider" are YHS; and Y was the only "deny" but we all know how uncertain they can be).

I think Peace Corps is a really good soft. There are at least 1 or 2 people at my school who did that. In any case, there's a lot to be said for crafting your app well and not relying solely on your numbers, as always. Good luck!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 05, 2010 1:59 am

Some people on TLS think Peace Corps is a great soft, others think it is just above average. You'll be a nice test case for us, so keep us posted.

I think it has got to be one of the best softs there is. With those numbers and a well crafted application, I'd say you are T6 bound for sure.

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Wed May 05, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks for the replies. I really had no idea it was a good soft when I joined the Peace Corps. Law school was only part way on my radar at that point.

Anyhow, I've heard rumors that Harvard is especially pro-Peace Corps in their admissions, and was curious if anyone had heard similarly for that or any other schools.

Though I'd be stoked for T6. Hope you're right, romo :)

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Wed May 05, 2010 7:02 pm

Bump.

Anyone else care to comment?

romothesavior wrote:Some people on TLS think Peace Corps is a great soft, others think it is just above average. You'll be a nice test case for us, so keep us posted.

Forgot this part -- I'd be happy to update my cycle next go-round if anyone's interested.

公诉人

Postby 公诉人 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:27 am

i will be following you like a hawk

pilawpcv

Postby pilawpcv » Mon May 10, 2010 10:12 am

I'm in the Peace Corps currently, and I will be applying this cycle too. My stats are a good bit lower than yours (but hopefully they'll go up after the October LSAT), so it'll be interesting to compare and contrast experiences :-)

Good luck! I went to Harvard UG, and I know several HLS students who got in with surprisingly low stats that chalked it up to Peace Corps.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Mon May 10, 2010 10:17 am

im in the peace corps currently. i applied this last cycle. theres definitely a bump at T2 schools. at T1 schools where the candidates are all pretty qualified anyway its a smaller bump. don't do the peace corps to get a bump in law school admissions. do the peace corps to improve yourself and the community you work in. otherwise its a long 27 months.

Return to “What are my chances?”