Peculiar Situation - chances? / input?/ advice?!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
pinkerfloyd

Peculiar Situation - chances? / input?/ advice?!

Postby pinkerfloyd » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Last edited by pinkerfloyd on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FuManChusco

Re: Peculiar Situation - chances? / input?/ advice?!

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:55 pm

get a 170+ on the lsat. apply to schools ranked 10-50. pray. be content with a T30 in the midwest if it doesn't work out. that's the best advice I have.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:59 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinkerfloyd

Postby pinkerfloyd » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:20 pm

Last edited by pinkerfloyd on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:29 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinkerfloyd

Postby pinkerfloyd » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:37 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
LSDAS is going to count everything, unless the class was remedial. So lets assume 3.1-3.2, with a high enough lsat score you could land northwestern. With a lower score, you can still get into a decent school. you should check out http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ use the search function. if you get a high lsat, you'll be a splitter. there are plenty of threads on these boards about splitters cycles so check those out too.

I totally understand that. Let me rephrase my main question:

Given my dramatic upward grade trend -- from 4 straight semesters of F's immediately to (what will likely be) 8 straight semesters of ~A-'s -- can I expect to be considered differently than the guys who've kept consistent B averages right off the bat?

I mean, just looking at my transcripts, without any further explanation, there's an obvious paradigm shift to be observed. With an empathetic addendum, will I really be considered a 3.15 even though I've maintained a ~3.7 from basically the moment I began actually earning college credit? I really just don't want to believe that that's going to be the case..

Thanks.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:01 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:09 pm

pinkerfloyd wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
LSDAS is going to count everything, unless the class was remedial. So lets assume 3.1-3.2, with a high enough lsat score you could land northwestern. With a lower score, you can still get into a decent school. you should check out http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ use the search function. if you get a high lsat, you'll be a splitter. there are plenty of threads on these boards about splitters cycles so check those out too.

Given my dramatic upward grade trend -- from 4 straight semesters of F's immediately to (what will likely be) 8 straight semesters of ~A-'s -- can I expect to be considered differently than the guys who've kept consistent B averages right off the bat?

I mean, just looking at my transcripts, without any further explanation, there's an obvious paradigm shift to be observed. With an empathetic addendum, will I really be considered a 3.15 even though I've maintained a ~3.7 from basically the moment I began actually earning college credit? I really just don't want to believe that that's going to be the case..

Thanks.

I went to college for a couple quarters right after high school, picked up 3 F's and a D. Then I left, started over from scratch four years later at a different school, and finished my degree in a couple of years with a 3.9+. However, my LSDAS GPA is 3.7ish due to those early F's; and I have seen nothing in my cycle to suggest my GPA has been treated as anything more than a 3.7.

booboo

Postby booboo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:12 pm

Since you know what your GPA is looking like, it should motivate you to try and do as well as possible on the LSAT. An extremely high score can even help you get into the T14.

jakeoooh

Postby jakeoooh » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:14 pm

Doubtful that schools will be very concerned with your upward trend, unfortunately. Maybe if they're comparing you with an applicant who is otherwise equal in every way it might count for something, but otherwise probably not.

As others have said, get a 170+ on the LSAT (easier said than done I know) and you'll get in somewhere good. Alternatively you could add another major or something and postpone graduating for another year? Maybe a summer and two more full semesters of As will pull you up to a 3.3 or something, which would put you in better position.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:15 pm

pinkerfloyd wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:

Thanks.
Relatively few people with lower GPAs don't have an upward grade trend, and it's probably closest in effect to a very minor soft. It won't make a discernible difference.

waxloaf

Postby waxloaf » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Unless someone can show me proof to the contrary, addendums, trends, etc. don't count for a thing. Its all numbers. If you want your best shot at a good school, bust your ass to get straight As, then bust it again on the LSAT

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:19 pm

Sorry, I think your going to be considered for your lower GPA. But, at least it is above a 3.0, so your app won't just be thrown away. The upward trend is better than having it be lower all throughout, but, still not as helpful as some schools would lead you to believe. Unfortunately, admissions is a numbers game.

Return to “What are my chances?”