3.0 GPA/177 LSAT (Early Decision to Duke Law?)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Dr. Strangelove

3.0 GPA/177 LSAT (Early Decision to Duke Law?)

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:21 pm

Would this be possible? Out of the lower T14 schools, I think Duke is one of my top choices. While I recognize the fact that it's not particularly splitter-friendly, would an early decision application help change things at all?
Also would being a Duke undergrad help at all? (but from what I've seen of other Duke splitters who applied to Duke Law.. I don't think it helps much.)

I'll admit that the only law schools I've visited were Duke, Fordham, NYU, and Columbia.

stratocophic

Re: 3.0 GPA/177 LSAT (Early Decision to Duke Law?)

Postby stratocophic » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:28 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Would this be possible? Out of the lower T14 schools, I think Duke is one of my top choices. While I recognize the fact that it's not particularly splitter-friendly, would an early decision application help change things at all?
Also would being a Duke undergrad help at all? (but from what I've seen of other Duke splitters who applied to Duke Law.. I don't think it helps much.)

I'll admit that the only law schools I've visited were Duke, Fordham, NYU, and Columbia.

I wouldn't bother. Might help, but you'd probably have a better shot at NYU or Chicago. Duke just doesn't like splitters. LSN and their LSAC profile page confirm it.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:35 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:Would this be possible? Out of the lower T14 schools, I think Duke is one of my top choices. While I recognize the fact that it's not particularly splitter-friendly, would an early decision application help change things at all?

I wouldn't bother. Might help, but you'd probably have a better shot at NYU or Chicago. Duke just doesn't like splitters. LSN and their LSAC profile page confirm it.

That's bizarre and unfortunate. However, if this is true, it would probably be more rational to apply to NYU or Chicago ED since I'd pick both of those schools over Duke anyway.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:46 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

That's bizarre and unfortunate. However, if this is true, it would probably be more rational to apply to NYU or Chicago ED since I'd pick both of those schools over Duke anyway.

You really don't have a shot at those schools either. Try UVA, NU(with WE) or GULC.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:53 pm

UVA>NU>GULC ED triple-dip is credited

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:54 pm

I think NYU is a longshot no matter what, so I don't think EDing there will be that beneficial.

Is there something about Duke that you really love?

3.0 177 is risky, because you might actually miss the T13 and Gtown entirely. If you are still in undergrad, Northwestern (the most splitter friendly t13) won't take you. UVa is out if you don't ED. Penn and Michigan are probably out, but if you ED you have a shot. Cornell is a reach, but possible. Georgetown is your best bet, but its still a reach.

If I were you I'd apply to ED at UVA the first day the app becomes available. UVA will respond within 15 days for your ed application.

If you don't get in then apply to NYU, Michigan, Penn, Northwestern, Duke, Cornell and Georgetown. I'd pick one of the above to ED too. If you have work experience, Northwestern is your best shot. With W/E its almost a sure thing with a 177. If no W/E, then I think I'd pick Michigan.

If you are feeling lucky NYU, but 3.0 is too low.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I think NYU is a longshot no matter what, so I don't think EDing there will be that beneficial.

Is there something about Duke that you really love?

3.0 177 is risky, because you might actually miss the T13 and Gtown entirely. If you are still in undergrad, Northwestern (the most splitter friendly t13) won't take you. UVa is out if you don't ED. Penn and Michigan are probably out, but if you ED you have a shot. Cornell is a reach, but possible. Georgetown is your best bet, but its still a reach.

If I were you I'd apply to ED at UVA the first day the app becomes available. UVA will respond within 15 days for your ed application.

If you don't get in then apply to NYU, Michigan, Penn, Northwestern, Duke, Cornell and Georgetown. I'd pick one of the above to ED too. If you have work experience, Northwestern is your best shot. With W/E its almost a sure thing with a 177. If no W/E, then I think I'd pick Michigan.

If you are feeling lucky NYU, but 3.0 is too low.

That seems like a good strategy. Thanks!

I'm a Duke undergrad and with Duke winning the national championship and all of that.. it really has reminded me of how much I love this school. However, I recognize the fact that Duke Undergrad and Duke Law are two different ballgames and because I love Duke Undergrad doesn't mean I'll love Duke Law.

Unfortunately, Northwestern is out since I'm still an undergrad.. if this cycle doesn't work out the way I want it too.. I won't care that much because I know NU becomes a stronger possibility.

I'll have to visit some of the other law schools though.

Would a 180 help with NYU at all? Admittedly, this LSAT was hypothetical (taking it in June) and was estimated on three practice exams I've taken.

Also, I'd like to say my GPA will be a little higher than 3.0 but Abstract Algebra has been whooping my ass enough that I think I'll be at ~3.0 by the time junior year ends..

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:42 pm

Hi there. I'm the real-life embodiment of your hypothetical scenario. I was going to come on here and give you the benefit of my wisdom/depression, but a) Desert Fox already schooled you, and b) you don't have a real GPA or LSAT yet. Come back when you do--your options may be very different.

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:38 am

Go for NYU or Chicago bro! Two great schools in huge markets. I want to go to UCLA bad, but with a 2.97 UGPA, I may have to apply to out-of-state schools if I can get an LSAT score like yours, as I may be WL'd with any score I get. :( However, if I get anything over 175, I will be aiming for NYU and Cornell. :)

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:43 pm

SoCalStudent wrote:Go for NYU or Chicago bro! Two great schools in huge markets. I want to go to UCLA bad, but with a 2.97 UGPA, I may have to apply to out-of-state schools if I can get an LSAT score like yours, as I may be WL'd with any score I get. :( However, if I get anything over 175, I will be aiming for NYU and Cornell. :)

NYU and Chicago aren't happening with a 3.0.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
SoCalStudent wrote:Go for NYU or Chicago bro! Two great schools in huge markets. I want to go to UCLA bad, but with a 2.97 UGPA, I may have to apply to out-of-state schools if I can get an LSAT score like yours, as I may be WL'd with any score I get. :( However, if I get anything over 175, I will be aiming for NYU and Cornell. :)

+1 this socalbro is setting himself up for disappointment.

Splitters: NU and UVA are generally the only T13's you have a shot at.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:48 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Michigan with a hard major, and Penn if your ugrad was an ivy.

ED at MVP, NU might take it RD.

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:10 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

All I said was to just go for it, not that thosse schools are a slam dunk. With great softs, PS, and LOR's, he has a shot at NYU and Chicago with those stats. I just inputted the numbers at lawschoolpredictor (with Chicago ED), and the results showed that both schools would "consider" Strangelove.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:28 pm

Dang.. I can't wait to get the LSAT over with. Then the fun can begin! 8)

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:35 pm

SoCalStudent wrote:All I said was to just go for it, not that thosse schools are a slam dunk. With great softs, PS, and LOR's, he has a shot at NYU and Chicago with those stats. I just inputted the numbers at lawschoolpredictor (with Chicago ED), and the results showed that both schools would "consider" Strangelove.

They will consider whether to invest his app fee or go blow it all on hookers and coke, sure. Consider for admission? Doubtful. LSP's not very accurate for splitters. Educate yourself.

Strangelove, you've got a shot at the lower T14s mentioned (NU, GULC, UVA). Don't waste your ED like I did.

Edit: Oh yeah, I already forgot that you don't have a real LSAT or GPA yet. Why did I waste my time on this thread (again!)? Stop sucking me in, DF.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:47 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:you don't have a real GPA or LSAT yet. Come back when you do--your options may be very different.

This. You can make your options look much rosier if you work your ass off for the next year or so to raise your GPA. If you're already PTing at 177, stop taking LSATs and concentrate on your classes. If you think you can land a 4.0 next year (probably unlikely considering your current numbers, but hey...), it may even behoove you to postpone your apps for a year.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:46 pm

Basically reiterating what other people have said. ED to one of UVA/NU/GULC (not NU if you're straight from undergrad). Duke basically never takes GPAs below around a 3.4 regardless of LSAT, so you have very little chance of getting in, and therefore Duke is not worth wasting your ED opportunity on.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:41 pm

clintonius wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:you don't have a real GPA or LSAT yet. Come back when you do--your options may be very different.

This. You can make your options look much rosier if you work your ass off for the next year or so to raise your GPA. If you're already PTing at 177, stop taking LSATs and concentrate on your classes. If you think you can land a 4.0 next year (probably unlikely considering your current numbers, but hey...), it may even behoove you to postpone your apps for a year.

I'll be taking mostly easy classes next year. So that should help..

koolfrog11

Postby koolfrog11 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Well how about if we bump it up a little? I'm in the exact same situation. 177 LSAT and I want to go ED to Duke but I have a 3.2 (maybe a little higher with CC transfer grades but not significantly). I'm a Math/Phil double major at a State school with a pretty good reputation. Any chance I'm getting considered ED?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:16 pm

koolfrog11 wrote:Well how about if we bump it up a little? I'm in the exact same situation. 177 LSAT and I want to go ED to Duke but I have a 3.2 (maybe a little higher with CC transfer grades but not significantly). I'm a Math/Phil double major at a State school with a pretty good reputation. Any chance I'm getting considered ED?

I don't know how much boost you get, but I bet they will give you a serious look.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:17 pm

koolfrog11 wrote:Well how about if we bump it up a little? I'm in the exact same situation. 177 LSAT and I want to go ED to Duke but I have a 3.2 (maybe a little higher with CC transfer grades but not significantly). I'm a Math/Phil double major at a State school with a pretty good reputation. Any chance I'm getting considered ED?

UVA

dukelawguy144

Postby dukelawguy144 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:17 pm

sweet LSAT, horrible GPA. Good luck bro. I was a 169/3.87 GPA so I was right in the middle of the accepted range.

I deferred for a year so hopefully I will see you the next year!

Return to “What are my chances?”