3.495/172: T14 possible? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Upton Sinclair

Bronze

3.495/172: T14 possible?

Post by Upton Sinclair » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:34 pm

Ok everyone, this is my first time posting on any LSAT/Law school related board, so I apologize if I don't do things exactly correct.

Admittedly, I have yet to take the LSAT (I will be taking it in June). The score in the subject line reflects what I anticipate receiving; I know that there is no sure way to predict a score. I have been scoring 174-177 on the practice tests I've taken, 12 in all so far. So knowing that there is still room to improve my LR, and also considering I will most certainly gag on the actual test, I have set 172 as a pseudo-goal for myself.

I graduated with a Finance degree from a large public university whose business school is one of the best in the country (though I'm sure that doesn't much matter). My EC's and softs are not top notch by any means.

I graduated in December 09 and will have work experience for a well known company as an entry-level analyst as well. I am caucasian, male. My LOR will be average to slightly above-average.

So, if I have a 3.495 and 172 LSAT score with all of the above, do I stand a chance for any T14 schools if I apply the first day at all of them come fall? I have spent way too much time trying to gauge this, and it is distracting me from my studying, so hopefully you fine people can help me out. Thank you in advance for any responses/help you all provide. It is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: to remove specifics of softs and ECs. See I'm learning already...
Last edited by Upton Sinclair on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

autarkh

Bronze

Re: 3.495/172: T14 possible?

Post by autarkh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:43 pm

Not a chance. The .005 separating you from a 3.5 will categorically exclude you from T14, even with a 172. :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, your numbers are actually pretty damn good (presuming you can perform as predicted on the LSAT). You have an excellent shot. Take a look at this site -- it's a great starting point.

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:03 pm

autarkh wrote:Not a chance. The .005 separating you from a 3.5 will categorically exclude you from T14, even with a 172. :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, your numbers are actually pretty damn good (presuming you can perform as predicted on the LSAT). You have an excellent shot. Take a look at this site -- it's a great starting point.

Thanks for the quick response. I've been to law school predictor (too many times of late, haha), and it seems to indicate I have a decent shot. But from what I've seen from a lot of people reading through these boards, it seems LSP overestimates your chances for success. Anyone get similar numbers and get into the lower end of T14? Also, how much does the early application help my chances?

Thanks again.

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:07 pm

Similar GPA, 169 LSAT. Applied in early Jan and so far I am in at Michigan. Good luck!

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:16 pm

If you desperately want the t-14 you should apply to everyone t-10 through t-14. Some might lilke you, others might not. Sometimes I wonder if this all isn't really a crapshoot if you arn't some kind of refugee with a 4.0 gpa from Harvard and a 180 on the LSAT. Even then, Michigan and/or Virginia might waitlist them! haha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:18 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:If you desperately want the t-14 you should apply to everyone t-10 through t-14. Some might lilke you, others might not. Sometimes I wonder if this all isn't really a crapshoot if you arn't some kind of refugee with a 4.0 gpa from Harvard and a 180 on the LSAT. Even then, Michigan and/or Virginia might waitlist them! haha
OP should apply to all the T14 except YHS.

jtang11

New

Post by jtang11 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:26 pm

I think those stats would give you an excellent shot at a T-14. I'd also recommend you don't neglect your personal statement. The stats alone should get you in, but you never know what might tip the scales in your favor and the personal statement is something easily within your control.

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:37 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's making me feel a lot better. I plan to apply to all T14 except YHS (unless I pull out a miracle on the test).

Congrats on Michigan cardinalandgold, and good luck with the remainder of your applications.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:08 pm

Assuming you get a 172, you'll be in the exact same position as me. I should have above average softs (which I haven't discuss on this site) and LORs, but I suppose everyone thinks so. Anyways, check out the thread I started on the same topic. People seemed to think that I - and you - would get into at least 1 T14. I am shooting for Michigan and UVA, personally, and from what I can tell, we should be in pretty good position for schools of that level.

HYS are out.
Columbia, Chicago, and Berkeley (GPA) are almost certainly out.
Outside shot at NYU.
Great shot at MVP, Duke, and Northwestern
Should get into Cornell and Georgetown.
I would also look at Vanderbilt, Texas, and UCLA as well, as they are generally regarded almost as well as the bottom T14, are all in superior locations to most of the T14, and you're likely to get in plus $.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

arb44

New

Post by arb44 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:43 am

Upton Sinclair wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone, it's making me feel a lot better. I plan to apply to all T14 except YHS (unless I pull out a miracle on the test).

Congrats on Michigan cardinalandgold, and good luck with the remainder of your applications.
I have exactly those numbers (which I can now say because my cycle is basically over!).

It will be a bit of a toss up where you get in, but don't neglect the CCN (if you want to go to them). Of the two I applied to, I got into one and held for further review at another. I honestly didn't expect to get into them at all. The other schools gave me fairly similar results as those I expected.

The only caveat is that it looks like I will be paying full price wherever I end up.

Good Luck!

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:03 am

Desert Fox wrote:
cavebat2000 wrote:If you desperately want the t-14 you should apply to everyone t-10 through t-14. Some might lilke you, others might not. Sometimes I wonder if this all isn't really a crapshoot if you arn't some kind of refugee with a 4.0 gpa from Harvard and a 180 on the LSAT. Even then, Michigan and/or Virginia might waitlist them! haha
OP should apply to all the T14 except YHS.
This, with the minor modification of dropping Berkeley from the list.

Slim shot at Columbia.
Outside shot at Chicago.
Decent shot at NYU.
Solid/Strong shot at M(with essays)/V/P(with essays)/D/N(with WE)/C/G

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:16 am

Any app to everywhere but HYS and Boalt wouldn't be wasted, though CCN is a very slim shot. Consider ED contracts if one school really appeals to you. Also, I recommend writing "why X" essays or at least including a "why x" paragraph at the end of your PS to increase your chances ever so slightly. Also, I'd apply to Vandy, UCLA, and Texas, who will probably bite and maybe even give you some good money. Good luck on the LSAT, and by all means come back when you get your final score for a second opinion.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:19 am

arb44 wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone, it's making me feel a lot better. I plan to apply to all T14 except YHS (unless I pull out a miracle on the test).

I have exactly those numbers (which I can now say because my cycle is basically over!).

It will be a bit of a toss up where you get in, but don't neglect the CCN (if you want to go to them). Of the two I applied to, I got into one and held for further review at another. I honestly didn't expect to get into them at all. The other schools gave me fairly similar results as those I expected.

The only caveat is that it looks like I will be paying full price wherever I end up.

Good Luck!
+1 to everything in this post... like every single detail.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”