169/3.89 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Samson

New

169/3.89

Post by Samson » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:56 am

Hey guys,

I took the LSAT for the first time in September, 168, a little disappointing since I was average in the 172-173 range on PTs. I took again in February, and only improved 1 pt to 169 (at least I proved I'm consistent). I know 170 is the magic number, but I'm pretty opposed to taking it again, juts because at this point - even if I do go up 2 or 3 points I just think that it won't mean much in light of my other scores. Though, of course, if anyone feels differently feel free to enlighten me.

So now I'm just wondering where that leaves me. When I was PTing and getting scores around 176 from time to time I was of course shooting for the ridiculous schools. Now, with my scores I know that Harvard and Yale are out (if yale was ever even really an option). Am I completely insane to still hold out some (though minimal) hope for Columbia or Stanford? Columbia's always been my dream school, but Stanford wouldn't be so bad either :)

Also, how far down the list should I expect to have to go before reaching schools where I have a reasonable (I guess more than 50% chance) of admission. I've used all the calculators but I'm just looking for any additional wisdom that real people may be able to impart.

Aside from my GPA and scores, I'm at a large private, Top 25, 1 really interesting soft and a few others that aren't bad either. I should have 2 great letters (I know they don't count for much, but hey every bit helps). I'm not URM. I'll be applying in Fall 2011.

Thanks.

rw2264

Bronze

Re: 169/3.89

Post by rw2264 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:31 am

have you thought about applying ED? it could definitely improve your chances at a t5. i don't know if any of them have ED but assuming they do...

also i think retaking and improving 2-3 points would make a difference, but based on your scores, you probably wouldn't improve that much. not to be a debbie downer, but you have proved yourself consistent.

i assume you know to apply the second applications become available, because that will also help.

also, you'll get in somewhere amazing. don't worry.

Return to “What are my chances?”