2.98/159- want honest opinions! Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
eagles86

Bronze

Re: 2.98/159- want honest opinions!

Post by eagles86 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:15 pm

I'm just saying that on LSN, there are a few people with lower #s than me who got into Denver and RU-Newark. I'm prepared for a long summer on the waitlist and will retake the LSAT in june. Could scoring in the 160s in June help get me off a waitlist?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:38 pm

eagles86 wrote:I'm just saying that on LSN, there are a few people with lower #s than me who got into Denver and RU-Newark. I'm prepared for a long summer on the waitlist and will retake the LSAT in june. Could scoring in the 160s in June help get me off a waitlist?
Theoretically yes, but since your score won't come in until July, my guess is that these schools may have pretty much filled their classes by then. You may get lucky, but I wouldn't count on a June score saving you.

MTaylor25

New

Post by MTaylor25 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:40 pm

eagles86 wrote:I'm just saying that on LSN, there are a few people with lower #s than me who got into Denver and RU-Newark. I'm prepared for a long summer on the waitlist and will retake the LSAT in june. Could scoring in the 160s in June help get me off a waitlist?
The LSAT is everything my friend. I would definitely retake as a score in the mid 160's will give you some great opportunities! With your current numbers I believe that you will get into a couple of the schools that your applying to but if you could get your LSAT around 164,165 you will be AMAZED at some of the acceptances you can get. If you are under the 25% GPA at a school you are applying to than you really need to be in the 75% for the LSAT and than your upward trend with your GPA will be a greater factor. It is extremely crucial to score in a school's 75% or better percentile for the LSAT if you are going to be under the 25% GPA range with the school you are applying to.
Last edited by MTaylor25 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MTaylor25

New

Post by MTaylor25 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:42 pm

^^I went through this thread real fast and didn’t realize that you already applied to schools so I am not sure that a retake could change anything as far as this cycle is concerned

Dman

Bronze

Post by Dman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:13 pm

eagles86 wrote:I think the fact that I got this anywhere near 3 after my 2.1 freshman year should count for something. I explained this in an addendum and my personal statement, recs are very good imo. LSP is more pessimsitic for schools below 40...if 30% of applicants are below you in terms of numbers it classifies you as auto- reject. 30% is still way too high for the deny label.
As someone with a 2.85 LSAC gpa/160LSAT, 3.68 graduating GPA (my first Univ grades were a 1.8), The fact that my 1.8 grades were 15 years ago and that I am a Non-trad still played very little role in admissions. I basically got in where most people with my numbers got in. The only significant difference was that I was WLed at some higher schools, but this was probably due to WE. Point being, don't expect an upward trend to do anything for your cycle, your LSAC GPA is pretty much determinative.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:14 pm

Don't go to law school - honestly.

zimbadimp

New

Post by zimbadimp » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:26 pm

LSP was overly optimistic for me. It gave me an admit to Fordham pt. I was waitlisted.

MTaylor25

New

Post by MTaylor25 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:27 pm

Veyron wrote:Don't go to law school - honestly.
LOL at responses like this. Some people have heart and guts and are not going to give up on their dreams because they aren’t going to get into a t-14 school.

eagles86

Bronze

Post by eagles86 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:48 pm

DMan? What schools did you apply to?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eagles86

Bronze

Post by eagles86 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:52 pm

and is the 2.98 really a killer whereas a 3.00 wouldnt be? All of the numbers are averaged anyway

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:02 am

Funny that people would get mad at you for challenging their assessment of your chances.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:43 am

eagles86 wrote:and is the 2.98 really a killer whereas a 3.00 wouldnt be? All of the numbers are averaged anyway
Both GPAs are not ideal. You upward trends is cool, but at the end of the day, this is a low GPA. Also, the numbers are not averaged, as far as USNWR rankings are concerned. It's the medians, not the averages, that are important. This can work to your advantage.

Therefore, I beg you to study hard for your June retake. If you do well, sit out this cycle and apply next cycle. Because of your low GPA, your LSAT must carry you. If you make over the 75% or even the median at a school, it might bite, making up for your low GPA. You can get into better schools.

FWIW, LSP has been pretty good so far for me this cycle. I am in at all the places where it said "Admit," and I got in at one "Consider" and WL at the other.

eagles86

Bronze

Post by eagles86 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 am

so all of my hard work since freshman year wont count for anything? Also, am I someone who may benefit from a year at a part-time program, provided I can transfer into the full- time after a year?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:57 am

eagles86 wrote:so all of my hard work since freshman year wont count for anything? Also, am I someone who may benefit from a year at a part-time program, provided I can transfer into the full- time after a year?
It already did, in that your GPA is no longer a 2.1.

Again, transferring from PT to FT is not something I would count on when you could retake, get a higher score, and get into a better law school FT.

I understand your desire to go to school now, but this will be worth it in the long run; I guarantee it.

monkeyboy

Bronze

Post by monkeyboy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:04 am

eagles86 wrote:1 year out of undergrad...2.1 freshman year and 3.4 soph- senior year
- have good recs, internships, addendum explaining the 1st year grades
Chance me and include waitlists..please dont rely on Lawschoolpredictor too much as it seems a bit more pessimstic than it should be.

RU-Newark
RU- Camden
Villanova
Miami
Denver
San Diego
Seton Hall
American
Pittsburgh

eagles86,

As long as your personal statement isn't too bad, I would bet that you get into two of those schools. I think you're in at Seton Hall. Unfortunately, you're probably not even close with American, Villanova, or San Diego. Not even in the ball game. However, it is conceivable that two or three of your choices might admit you. Maybe you should apply to Hofstra, Maine, Gonzaga and Catholic. They're roughly equivalent to some of the schools on your list and you have a decent shot, according to LSP. If you're applying to American, which is out of your reach currently, and Seton Hall (a Catholic school), why not apply to Catholic? It's in DC and it's not ranked much lower than Rutgers-Newark.

Columbia Law

Bronze

Post by Columbia Law » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:15 pm

Eagles,

You asked for honest advice. You got a 3.4 since freshman year. That alone is not that good. You have a toilet GPA SINCE you messed up freshman year. Now add your freshman year to the mix and you are a true toileter. You have terrible numbers and you should really reconsider law school. You will be wasting a lot of money to find out in three years that you are a terrible job candidate. You will not get into many of those schools. If you do, they will not be worth attending for full price. Find another hobby, kiddo.

eagles86

Bronze

Post by eagles86 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:24 pm

I dont call 3.4 a toilet GPA...and i think a few here would agree. Sometimes I wonder how folks like you act in person.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:31 pm

Why did you repost? I already chanced you. Everyone here is saying the same thing, sorry buddy. Just because you make arguments against it doesn't mean they're valid. 2.xx is vastly inferior to a 3.xx.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0#p2379140 previous thread.

RU-Newark - wl then 50/50 on in or out
RU- Camden - out
Villanova - out
Miami - out
Denver - out
San Diego - out
Seton Hall - wl/in
American - out
Pittsburgh - out

If you really want to go, look at T3 schools. (Syracuse comes to mind)

Also - Columbia was calling your 2.9 a toilet gpa, not a 3.4. Upward trends help, but you still have a 2 in the gpa column, which schools don't want.
Last edited by beach_terror on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Columbia Law

Bronze

Post by Columbia Law » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:33 pm

"You ain't goin' anywhere, pal."

eagles86

Bronze

Post by eagles86 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:40 pm

So its nice to know that my life is over by not being T-14 material. You guys are worthless, bye bye

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:42 pm

eagles86 wrote:So its nice to know that my life is over by not being T-14 material. You guys are worthless, bye bye
Bye!

I wouldn't be surprised if you bombed the reading comp on your LSAT. The one good thing about this website is nobody sugar coats things, if that makes you upset then good luck in life... there are far more upsetting things (like getting rejecting by all your reaches because you think you know everything).

You should have titled this "2.98/159 - lie about my chances please"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:42 pm

eagles86 wrote:I dont call 3.4 a toilet GPA...and i think a few here would agree. Sometimes I wonder how folks like you act in person.
Eagle, I'm sorry people are being mean and I am sorry for being a little crabby before. At this point you have the hand you were dealt (or dealt yourself, as the case may be) and you have applied. Sincerely, I hope you get an acceptance to all of those schools. I think at this point in the cycle eveyone is trying to share the common experience of convincing themselves they would beat the numbers game, and in the end being let down. If you want honest opinions, you got them. If you want a little bit of hope while you pass the time, maybe try the "I got into my reach" thread.

peterswe

New

Post by peterswe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:45 pm

Columbia Law wrote:Eagles,

You asked for honest advice. You got a 3.4 since freshman year. That alone is not that good. You have a toilet GPA SINCE you messed up freshman year. Now add your freshman year to the mix and you are a true toileter. You have terrible numbers and you should really reconsider law school. You will be wasting a lot of money to find out in three years that you are a terrible job candidate. You will not get into many of those schools. If you do, they will not be worth attending for full price. Find another hobby, kiddo.

This is horribly pessimistic. I have similar numbers, and got into a lot of schools that I consider decent with decent job prospects (some T2's). How does having low admissions stats automatically qualify someone as a terrible job candidate 3 years from now? If no one got jobs coming from T2 schools, then T3 and T4 schools wouldn't be able to exist.

I have a friend who had relatively low admission stats, paid full price for a T2 private school, graduated in the top15% of his class and is now making more money than god. I know this is the exception, but it is still possible.

EDIT: OP, hurry up and apply to some safer schools and continue on with your dream. It's a gamble, but whatever - what aspect of life isn't?
Last edited by peterswe on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monkeyboy

Bronze

Post by monkeyboy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:46 pm

eagles86 wrote:So its nice to know that my life is over by not being T-14 material. You guys are worthless, bye bye
Hey, take it easy dude. There's no way your numbers would get you into American or San Diego, but I thought I gave you some positive feedback along with solid suggestions. Seriously, you should apply to Hofstra and Catholic. Those are realistic options for you and they aren't ranked much lower than many of the schools you are targeting.

Good luck. I hope you get into a school you'll be happy with.

monkeyboy

Bronze

Post by monkeyboy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:50 pm

jks289 wrote:
eagles86 wrote:I dont call 3.4 a toilet GPA...and i think a few here would agree. Sometimes I wonder how folks like you act in person.
Eagle, I'm sorry people are being mean and I am sorry for being a little crabby before. At this point you have the hand you were dealt (or dealt yourself, as the case may be) and you have applied. Sincerely, I hope you get an acceptance to all of those schools. I think at this point in the cycle eveyone is trying to share the common experience of convincing themselves they would beat the numbers game, and in the end being let down. If you want honest opinions, you got them. If you want a little bit of hope while you pass the time, maybe try the "I got into my reach" thread.
Beating the numbers game can be done. Eagles86, have you seen "Soul Man" starring C Thomas Howell?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”