Transfer question Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
martha_c

New

Transfer question

Post by martha_c » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi everybody.

I just finished my first term at St John's and got a 3.84. If I manage to maintain and improve that over the entire 1L, what would you say are my chances of transferring to NYU? My undergrad GPA is 3.1 and LSAT was 162. Would it matter if I re-wrote the LSAT to try and improve or is it mostly dependent on the 1L result.

Martha

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Transfer question

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:45 pm

For almost all schools, the only number that matters when transferring is your 1L class rank. GPA/LSAT no longer matter. (There is rumor and speculation on this board that Harvard cares about UG GPA and LSAT for transfers, but I have not seen any proof of that yet.)

3.84 sounds very high; if that puts you in the top 10% of your class you have a very good chance of transferring. I would consider applying to both NYU and Columbia in your situation as both are possibilities and both would make great schools to transfer to and keep you in New York City.

You could also apply to Cornell if you're willing to move to Ithaca for two years, to increase your chances of getting a transfer. (Not saying Cornell should be your first choice, but it would make a good backup in case you don't get into NYU or Columbia.)

martha_c

New

Post by martha_c » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:56 pm

THanks for the advice guys.

For the first question, I don't know exactly what rank 3.84 translates to - it's made up of 3 As, an A-, and a very annoying B+ in legal writing. The curve is that A is 4, A- is 3.67, B+ is 3.33 and so on in 1/3 increments. No indication of rank but the academic guidelines say that As go to at most 10% of the class, and A- to 25%. My guess (hope?) is that my average puts me in or very near near the top 10%.

I like St. John's but I really feel I need to "upgrade" as it were, if not NYU or Columbia, I would be quite happy at Fordham as well. Good to know that LSAT doesn't matter, I would have hated re-writing it.

The fortunate thing is that I retain 3/5 professors from first term so I know their "quirks", how they write exams, etc. I really think I can manage As across the board in the spring, which would give me something around 3.9 for the year. But let's not put the cart before the horse. What if I do poorly and my 1L average slips to 3.7. Is the transfer still do-able or no?

Return to “What are my chances?”