Need some honest opinions on my 'softs'

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
porter730

Need some honest opinions on my 'softs'

Postby porter730 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:20 am

I have bee reading this board from the past few months and finally got up the courage to throw myself out there, I would appreciate any input given....

Basic sum up of my 'situation'

Moved from the UK (where I attended boarding school for 10 years) at the age of 17 to the USA, excellent grades in boarding school and graduated with excellent grades from private American high school. At boarding school was head of my house, played 5 varsity sports, captained 2.....but I know high school is pretty insignificant now. Attended a good university on an international scholarship, graduated in 3 years with a 3.12 GPA. In my summers I travelled to the dominican republic and lived in an orphanage ( no water electricity etc), i spent a total of around a year in the Dominican. All through college I have worked 45-50 hours a week, daytime job is managing a well known and highly regarded doctors office and night time job is head bartender of a popular restaurant. On top of working, I care for my 3 siblings (the youngest is 8) because my mother is a bipolar, alcoholic who abused me and I did not want my siblings to suffer the same fate. I have amazing letters of rec, speak five languages fluently (english, spanish, german, french and portuguese), played a spot of semi-pro field hockey in england and on top of my volunteering in the Dominican have a wide range of other volunteering experiences, (including many human rights and LGBT volunteering), I am also a lesbian, if that factors in as a 'soft'

I have been scoring between 165 and 175 on the lsat. With my 3.12 GPA and including many things like my overtime working, caring for 3 siblings, language fluency, excellent rec letters, sports, mother 'issues', volunteering and homosexuality, what sort of score would I need to get, would a score between 160-170 suffice for schools such as

Stetson
UC Hastings
USC
FSU
UF
UNC
Northwestern
University of san fran
Cornell
Wake forest
Seattle university
Uni of nevada 0 LV
Uni of miami
Uni of san diego
UC - davis

God bless you if you read this entire post, I know its a long one, but any input or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

englawyer

Re: Need some honest opinions on my 'softs'

Postby englawyer » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:11 am

160-170 is too large of a range to consider. you will have to repost with a real score

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:19 am

Nothing will fully compensate for a 3.12, but your explanation is good enough to give adcomms something to think about. You definitely have enough for a diversity statement to explain some of this.

As for LSAT score, check out the rankings on this site. Key is that your GPA is lower than the 25% GPA of all the schools you listed. To have any chance you need to nail your LSAT above or as close to the 75% LSAT of the schools you're applying to.

For NU or Cornell, a 170+ is expected with your GPA. You likely don't have a shot at NU without post-college W/E (am unsure if you do based on your post).

The rest, check out the rankings and find their 75%. Something in the mid-high 160s should garner you some acceptances. 170+ would be ideal.

Good Luck

boomshokalocka

Postby boomshokalocka » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:06 am

Based on the details of your post, you seem to be an ideal candidate for the LEOP program at UC Hastings.

--LinkRemoved--

With a 165 being at the bottom end of your LSAT spectrum, I imagine you would be golden at UC Hastings if you applied through LEOP.

Return to “What are my chances?”