Safe, Bug-Less, Apartment near Duke? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
ticklemesilly

Bronze

Safe, Bug-Less, Apartment near Duke?

Post by ticklemesilly » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:39 pm

Can anyone suggest a safe, clean apartment near Duke? Something in the 600-850 range? Everything review I see either mentions bug infestations, home break-ins, horrible management, or accusations of staff faking positive reviews. And now, having no chance to visit Durham until late July, I am panicking.

DetroitRed

Bronze

Re: Safe, Bug-Less, Apartment near Duke?

Post by DetroitRed » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:56 pm

I'll be at University Apartments next year. It's fairly cheap, bug free (as far as I can gather from reviews), and is close (~1 mile) to the law school and downtown Durham.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:30 am

ticklemesilly wrote:Everything review I see either mentions bug infestations, home break-ins, horrible management, or accusations of staff faking positive reviews.
To be fair, this describes almost every review of every apartment complex I've ever seen in any city in which I've ever lived. I'm sure if you keep reaching out to current students you'll get a sense for what's decent, rather than those sites that aggregate everyone who ever wanted to complain about their housing.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:32 am

usn26 wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:Everything review I see either mentions bug infestations, home break-ins, horrible management, or accusations of staff faking positive reviews.
To be fair, this describes almost every review of every apartment complex I've ever seen in any city in which I've ever lived. I'm sure if you keep reaching out to current students you'll get a sense for what's decent, rather than those sites that aggregate everyone who ever wanted to complain about their housing.
This.

ladybug_231

New

Post by ladybug_231 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:41 am

DetroitRed wrote:I'll be at University Apartments next year. It's fairly cheap, bug free (as far as I can gather from reviews), and is close (~1 mile) to the law school and downtown Durham.
I lived here when I was in Durham - they are clean, fairly nice for the price and the management is good. Duke is an 3 min walk and easy campus bus ride away. Definitely recommend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Serett

Post by Serett » Mon May 04, 2015 4:44 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
usn26 wrote:
This.
These. Individual experiences always vary, and bugs do what bugs do. You need to determine where you live on the basis of broad consensus, not the worst outcome any one person has ever had at a complex. I know there are multiple complexes with above 80% and 90% approval ratings in Durham on ApartmentRatings.com.

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Post by ticklemesilly » Mon May 04, 2015 6:40 pm

Anyone had any experiences good or bad with Arium Pinnacle Ridge?

bingo90

New

Post by bingo90 » Mon May 04, 2015 7:01 pm

ticklemesilly wrote:Anyone had any experiences good or bad with Arium Pinnacle Ridge?
I'm interested in these apartments as well. I checked them out (just drove through) when I was visiting Durham and they looked pretty nice. They were farther from campus than I would like, but I've heard that since there really isn't ever traffic in Durham it isn't a big inconvenience. It was raining when I visited and the apartments seemed like they would be pretty dark inside. Does anyone who lived there have any insight about how much natural light there is?

Serett

Post by Serett » Mon May 04, 2015 9:43 pm

I haven't lived at PR myself, but it's where the plurality, if not majority, of Duke 1Ls tend to live. Most seem happy with it.

The distance isn't a problem there unless you're intending to bike/walk to school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Post by ticklemesilly » Tue May 05, 2015 1:30 pm

Any benefits to a house vs apartment or vice versa?

Is traffic in Durham bad? If I leave 2-3 miles away from the school, will this really make a difference?

Serett

Post by Serett » Tue May 05, 2015 4:32 pm

ticklemesilly wrote:Any benefits to a house vs apartment or vice versa?
Nothing particular to Durham.
Is traffic in Durham bad?
Not at all.
If I leave 2-3 miles away from the school, will this really make a difference?
Only if you're trying to get around without a motor vehicle.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:14 pm

Serett wrote:
If I leave 2-3 miles away from the school, will this really make a difference?
Only if you're trying to get around without a motor vehicle.
Did not have car first semester.

DERP

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”