Berkeley ASW 2013

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
djwjddl

Berkeley ASW 2013

Postby djwjddl » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:39 pm

figured i'd start a separate thread for this.

who's attending? where's everyone staying? are people attending all of the events?

and the most important question of all: do we get any swag??!!

Travel Arrangements

Stipend
-$150 for travel from another California city to the Bay Area
-$300 for travel from a city outside of the Bay Area
-note: to be eligible for the stipend you must (1) fill out the RSVP form on ASW; (2) fly in (non-air travel, including ground transportation, rental cars will not be reimbursed; and (3) print an extra copy of your airline itinerary to be turned in on ASD to the table designated for "Airfare Stipend"

Airports near Berkeley
-Oakland International Airport
-San Francisco International Airport
-San Jose International Airport

Housing
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/142.htm

Schedule (April 11-14)

Friday (Admit Day)
8:30-4:00: Breakfast, Welcome, Mock Class, Lunch, Break-Out Sessions (including financial aid and LRAP), Tours, Student Activities Fair

TBA Location/Time:
-Dinner with the South Asian and Muslim Law Student Associations
-Dinner with the Middle Eastern Law Students Association and the Journal of Middle Eastern and Islamic Law
-Dinner with the Asian and Pacific Islander Student Association Law Students of African Descent -Annual Legacy Gala (Dress up, celebrate, and get down with current and former LSAD members)
-Dinner with La Raza Student Association TBA
-Intellectual Property/Law & Technology Reception (Meet attorneys and learn more about IP/Law&Tech opportunities)
-Dinner with the Queer Caucus (For LGBTQ admits and allies committed to LGBTQ advocacy)
-Dinner with Boalt Association of Military & Veterans (For veterans, active duty, or otherwise uniformed service personnel)
-Dinner with the Native American Law Students Association

Saturday
TBA Location/Time:
-Environmental Organizations' Annual "Hike in the Berkeley Hills" (Be sure to wear comfortable hiking shoes and bring a water bottle and sunscreen; Meet in Steinhardt Courtyard for coffee and breakfast; hike to follow)
-BBQ Lunch with the Coalition for Diversity (Come and enjoy great soul food and hang with Boalt's various identity organizations)
Last edited by djwjddl on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

twinkletoes16

Re: Berkeley ASW 2013

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:48 am

I'm probably going to go to everything, even the diversity stuff in Thursday night (I'm not diverse. At all). Berkeley has been and is my dream school for as long as I can remember, and I will likely be attending there if they offer any money at all. Finding out a decision from them in less than 3 weeks was a blessing and a curse because now I hold the rest of the schools to their speed. :P

I've booked already but idk where to stay!

Aloyicious

Postby Aloyicious » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:31 pm

I will also be attending. I am also planning to go to the diversity student dinner. I'm Hispanic with a Hispanic sounding name but don't look it. I've participated in Berkeley's summer program for diversity students, and I'll say that they are super inclusivel. I'm planning on going to the IP/tech & law dinner as well as the hike on Saturday.

I'm a bit surprised that more people aren't talking on the class of 2016 thread. Looking at last year's thread people were already pretty stoked at this time about attending. I have not officially accepted, but because Berkeley is my #1 I am planning to finalize once I go to ASW.

matrim

Postby matrim » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:00 am

So I tried this in the class thread with no luck (that thread seems almost dead), I am really excited to visit Berk. Quick question, I am planning to visit soon, anybody done that yet? Any advice? Sounds like I just show up to a class and ask to sit in on it? Is it true they only comp flight if you go on the admitted students day (in Apr)? Pumped about Cal and want to make sure I get the most out of my visit (wont be able to attend the admitted students weekend).

Aloyicious

Postby Aloyicious » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:11 pm

matrim wrote:So I tried this in the class thread with no luck (that thread seems almost dead), I am really excited to visit Berk. Quick question, I am planning to visit soon, anybody done that yet? Any advice? Sounds like I just show up to a class and ask to sit in on it? Is it true they only comp flight if you go on the admitted students day (in Apr)? Pumped about Cal and want to make sure I get the most out of my visit (wont be able to attend the admitted students weekend).

Someone started a second thread for c/o 2016 when there was already one started awhile back. I don't see you here, at the original one: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=193379. But this thread is almost dead as well :/.

I'm going to ASW, but I assume that you can go into the admissions office and ask to see a list of the classes you can sit in on. I've done that at other law schools when visiting for a day. Also, I realize this is not law school related per se but if you like coffee or delicious coffee drinks you should go to Caffe Strada. It's a block away from the law school on Bancroft.

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:56 pm

matrim wrote:So I tried this in the class thread with no luck (that thread seems almost dead), I am really excited to visit Berk. Quick question, I am planning to visit soon, anybody done that yet? Any advice? Sounds like I just show up to a class and ask to sit in on it? Is it true they only comp flight if you go on the admitted students day (in Apr)? Pumped about Cal and want to make sure I get the most out of my visit (wont be able to attend the admitted students weekend).

Seems to be that way, but i'd call the admissions office directly and ask. Let us know what they say.

matrim

Postby matrim » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:10 am

Aloyicious wrote:

Someone started a second thread for c/o 2016 when there was already one started awhile back. I don't see you here, at the original one: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=193379. But this thread is almost dead as well :/.

I'm going to ASW, but I assume that you can go into the admissions office and ask to see a list of the classes you can sit in on. I've done that at other law schools when visiting for a day. Also, I realize this is not law school related per se but if you like coffee or delicious coffee drinks you should go to Caffe Strada. It's a block away from the law school on Bancroft.

Thanks - I might have to swing by Strada then!

djwjddl wrote:

Seems to be that way, but i'd call the admissions office directly and ask. Let us know what they say.
well after doing so more research it does appear to be only for admitted day, but thats alright Im still pumped to visit berk!

WalkingPlato

Postby WalkingPlato » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Anyone else feel like when you go to the mock class and the professor calls your name out of the blue to answer the question, you'll sit there with a dumb face on with nothing to say and everyone is going to laugh at you, throw stuff at you, and they will take back their admission offer?

And where are you guy's going to stay? With a student? or hotel? And are you bringing family and how many people?

pannekoeken

Postby pannekoeken » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:38 pm

I'm going too! Can't wait to meet you all! I have friends who are undergrads at Berkeley so I will probably stay with them. I'm also from the area so if anyone has questions about life in the bay or anything like that, feel free to shoot me a PM :)

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:19 pm

WalkingPlato wrote:Anyone else feel like when you go to the mock class and the professor calls your name out of the blue to answer the question, you'll sit there with a dumb face on with nothing to say and everyone is going to laugh at you, throw stuff at you, and they will take back their admission offer?

And where are you guy's going to stay? With a student? or hotel? And are you bringing family and how many people?

this. every ASW that says the prof will be calling out a student makes me clench up in fear.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:21 pm

also good hotels in/near the area? fairly cheap? I know that's a lot to ask. I know in the past they let us crash with current students but I haven't heard anything about that so far...

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:54 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:also good hotels in/near the area? fairly cheap? I know that's a lot to ask. I know in the past they let us crash with current students but I haven't heard anything about that so far...

ask and you shall receive.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:26 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
WalkingPlato wrote:Anyone else feel like when you go to the mock class and the professor calls your name out of the blue to answer the question, you'll sit there with a dumb face on with nothing to say and everyone is going to laugh at you, throw stuff at you, and they will take back their admission offer?

this. every ASW that says the prof will be calling out a student makes me clench up in fear.

I'm curious how this helps their admissions process. I don't think many people enjoy the mock class, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, why did Berkeley and Chicago have to make their ASWs at the same time??? Oh, that's right, because they wanted to be the last one people go to so that they have it fresh on their minds and are more likely to accept.

testaker

Postby testaker » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:22 pm

Does anyone know whether there are date limitations for getting the $300 travel reimbursement for ASW? Such as, I may decide to fly to the Bay Area from Wed-Sun, in order to show boyfriend more of the area, make more of a trip out of it, etc etc.

Basically, as long as I do in fact attend ASW, should there be any issue with being reimbursed for a flight that spans a longer period of time than strictly ASW? Thanks.

TheFalcon

Postby TheFalcon » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:25 pm

djwjddl wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:also good hotels in/near the area? fairly cheap? I know that's a lot to ask. I know in the past they let us crash with current students but I haven't heard anything about that so far...

ask and you shall receive.

Also, if you look a bit, you can find some hotels farther west in Berkeley that are a short, direct bus ride straight to Boalt.

But yeah, I'm planning on flying in after work on Thursday, and I'm really excited for this.

Aloyicious

Postby Aloyicious » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:34 pm

testaker wrote:Does anyone know whether there are date limitations for getting the $300 travel reimbursement for ASW? Such as, I may decide to fly to the Bay Area from Wed-Sun, in order to show boyfriend more of the area, make more of a trip out of it, etc etc.

Basically, as long as I do in fact attend ASW, should there be any issue with being reimbursed for a flight that spans a longer period of time than strictly ASW? Thanks.

I'm doing the same thing and there is nothing in the information at the ASW that precludes one from doing this and still being reimbursed.

testaker

Postby testaker » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:25 am

Thanks. I guess I can call Admissions too to confirm but I wanted to avoid tipping my hat by asking outright, in case playing dumb will be required later in order to successfully get my $300.

Also, FYI to all - Faculty Club all booked up for ASW. There's some Symposium occurring that has reserved all the rooms.

voytek

Postby voytek » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:36 pm

Just booked my plane tickets out west. Really excited for ASW!

pinballwiz24

Postby pinballwiz24 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:01 pm

testaker wrote:Does anyone know whether there are date limitations for getting the $300 travel reimbursement for ASW? Such as, I may decide to fly to the Bay Area from Wed-Sun, in order to show boyfriend more of the area, make more of a trip out of it, etc etc.

I actually e-mailed to ask them about that, and they said that in the past they did not allow that but now they are more flexible and it should be fine as long as the dates of the ASW are covered. I'm travelling from Tuesday-Saturday so I can catch Giants and A's games. Their response:

"As long as you are there for Admit Day and have a flight itinerary in hand, we're not going to worry about the dates. We used to have strict date restrictions but there were so many requests for exceptions that it became unwieldy. We trust that you are going to use the stipend to visit Berkeley Law, and we expect you to plan your trip in good faith with that in mind. But if you want to come early to catch a game, feel free."

testaker

Postby testaker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks, this is helpful!

arrggg

Postby arrggg » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:20 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:

I think it sounds more intimidating than it actually is. Professors don't actually expect you to know much of anything.

lampshade0520

Postby lampshade0520 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:02 pm

thanks for the info on flying in for ASW dates. i'm flying in tuesday and leaving monday. so excited to meet everyone!! so consensus is no swag?

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:54 pm

any fellow lady admits want to split the cost of a hotel room? my $ is quickly dwindling for ASW and I'm not comfortable couchsurfing/can't think of any other options.

Aloyicious

Postby Aloyicious » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:03 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:any fellow lady admits want to split the cost of a hotel room? my $ is quickly dwindling for ASW and I'm not comfortable couchsurfing/can't think of any other options.

I'm interested. I already have a room for Thursday-Saturday but can change it to two full beds. PM me if you're interested.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:02 pm

Getting so excited! Found a student host so will be able to do this fairly cheaply. Woo!

Bar review Thursday night?

And has anyone heard anything more on matching scholarships? Was hoping I'd hear something about $ before ASW.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”