Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear? (poll!)

(Where, When and What Did You Think)

What should I wear?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:53 am

Skirt and blouse/sweater
57
83%
Pantsuit
3
4%
Skirt suit
9
13%
 
Total votes: 69

ajtdq
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear? (poll!)

Postby ajtdq » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:59 am

Hey, everyone.

First, I have used the search function and read the few posts about this question (including the one that was derailed by a discussion about whether women prefer cut men (a la Brad Pitt) or big men (a la the Rock)...). But they were all from 2010, so I was just wondering if anyone had any other thoughts given recent developments in the fashion world :lol: and my own situation.

I am going to be visiting my #1 school. I turned in my application in November and have not heard back yet. I emailed them an update (new grades, job stuff, etc.) a few days ago. I will be participating in a campus tour and sitting in on a few classes. So...

What do I wear?

2/3 of my older family members want me in a pantsuit. I think this is overkill (especially since my pants are all hemmed for high heel height. If I wear something else I can at least walk to the campus in flats). I would rather wear a skirt (probably tweed-looking), with gray ribbed tights, a sweater (pink or red), a button up shirt, and black pumps that I can walk in. Alternatively, I have a pretty cool burgundy button-up blouse that I could wear with said outfit.

Weather-wise, it has been raining/snowing recently there but it should be only "slightly cloudy" and around 40 the day I visit. I'm from a much more moderate climate, but I can usually survive with tights, a coat, and a scarf when it's around that temperature.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

(Edited for specificity.)
Last edited by ajtdq on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mala2
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:39 am

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby mala2 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:07 am

I don't get all the people stressing over what to wear. Wear what you are comfortable in that looks somewhat professional but not obnoxious. I think your skirt outfit with flats sounds fine.

ajtdq
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby ajtdq » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:27 am

Thanks, mala2.

User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:53 am

.

User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:59 am

ajtdq wrote:Hey, everyone.

First, I have used the search function and read the few posts about this question (including the one that was derailed by a discussion about whether women prefer cut men (a la Brad Pitt) or big men (a la the Rock)...). But they were all from 2010, so I was just wondering if anyone had any other thoughts given recent developments in the fashion world :lol: and my own situation.

I am going to be visiting my #1 school. I turned in my application in November and have not heard back yet. I emailed them an update (new grades, job stuff, etc.) a few days ago. I will be participating in a campus tour and sitting in on a few classes. So...

What do I wear?

2/3 of my older family members want me in a pantsuit. I think this is overkill (especially since my pants are all hemmed for high heel height. If I wear something else I can at least walk to the campus in flats). I would rather wear a skirt (probably tweed-looking), with gray ribbed tights, a sweater (pink or red), a button up shirt, and black pumps that I can walk in. Alternatively, I have a pretty cool burgundy button-up blouse that I could wear with said outfit.

Weather-wise, it has been raining/snowing recently there but it should be only "slightly cloudy" and around 40 the day I visit. I'm from a much more moderate climate, but I can usually survive with tights, a coat, and a scarf when it's around that temperature.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

(Edited for specificity.)





What school are you visiting?

are you coming from out west?

the school i will be visiting soon too has the same discriotion as your school weather wise.

ajtdq
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby ajtdq » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:08 am

Peace of Mind wrote:
ajtdq wrote:Hey, everyone.

First, I have used the search function and read the few posts about this question (including the one that was derailed by a discussion about whether women prefer cut men (a la Brad Pitt) or big men (a la the Rock)...). But they were all from 2010, so I was just wondering if anyone had any other thoughts given recent developments in the fashion world :lol: and my own situation.

I am going to be visiting my #1 school. I turned in my application in November and have not heard back yet. I emailed them an update (new grades, job stuff, etc.) a few days ago. I will be participating in a campus tour and sitting in on a few classes. So...

What do I wear?

2/3 of my older family members want me in a pantsuit. I think this is overkill (especially since my pants are all hemmed for high heel height. If I wear something else I can at least walk to the campus in flats). I would rather wear a skirt (probably tweed-looking), with gray ribbed tights, a sweater (pink or red), a button up shirt, and black pumps that I can walk in. Alternatively, I have a pretty cool burgundy button-up blouse that I could wear with said outfit.

Weather-wise, it has been raining/snowing recently there but it should be only "slightly cloudy" and around 40 the day I visit. I'm from a much more moderate climate, but I can usually survive with tights, a coat, and a scarf when it's around that temperature.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

(Edited for specificity.)





What school are you visiting?

are you coming from out west?

the school i will be visiting soon too has the same discriotion as your school weather wise.


I will be going to NYU.

And, yes I'm from California like you :). I read all of the posts about women dressing for law school visits yesterday and there wasn't a lot there. Then I posted mine and found yours!

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby ahduth » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:17 am

If you're not meeting with anyone, you just wear whatever's comfortable.

If you're meeting with someone important, dress to the nines and make them remember you.

User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:22 am

ajtdq wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:
ajtdq wrote:(Edited for specificity.)

What school are you visiting?

are you coming from out west?

the school i will be visiting soon too has the same discriotion as your school weather wise.


I will be going to NYU.

And, yes I'm from California like you :). I read all of the posts about women dressing for law school visits yesterday and there wasn't a lot there. Then I posted mine and found yours!


awesome!!

i did the same thing and I saw all those posts about Brad Pitt and the Rock too. too funny!!
i like the outfit you came up with in your op. i still need to figure out how i'm going to do this because i'm only going to be there one day so i'll be bringing a messanger bag with me to hold my clothes in and don't want to be carrying a heavy bag around all day. i'm going to try and find something that i can where with my boots that's still professional. i really don't want to wear heels all day and i don't own flats(i'm not a fan).

btw... i see you don't have too many posts, like me lol forewarning... don't go into the lounge asking what picwhoring is, even if someone brings it up and you don't know what is like i did. lol craziness!!

just curious, do you want to leave ca? is that one reason you picked nyu? I really want to get out of ca for a while just to experience something new.

ajtdq
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby ajtdq » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:34 am

ahduth wrote:If you're not meeting with anyone, you just wear whatever's comfortable.

If you're meeting with someone important, dress to the nines and make them remember you.



Thanks, ahduth.

Does "dress to the nines" mean a pantsuit or a skirt/blouse outfit?

ajtdq
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby ajtdq » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:38 am

Peace of Mind wrote:
ajtdq wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:
ajtdq wrote:(Edited for specificity.)

What school are you visiting?

are you coming from out west?

the school i will be visiting soon too has the same discriotion as your school weather wise.


I will be going to NYU.

And, yes I'm from California like you :). I read all of the posts about women dressing for law school visits yesterday and there wasn't a lot there. Then I posted mine and found yours!


awesome!!

i did the same thing and I saw all those posts about Brad Pitt and the Rock too. too funny!!
i like the outfit you came up with in your op. i still need to figure out how i'm going to do this because i'm only going to be there one day so i'll be bringing a messanger bag with me to hold my clothes in and don't want to be carrying a heavy bag around all day. i'm going to try and find something that i can where with my boots that's still professional. i really don't want to wear heels all day and i don't own flats(i'm not a fan).

btw... i see you don't have too many posts, like me lol forewarning... don't go into the lounge asking what picwhoring is, even if someone brings it up and you don't know what is like i did. lol craziness!!

just curious, do you want to leave ca? is that one reason you picked nyu? I really want to get out of ca for a while just to experience something new.


I will be out there for a few days, so I'm staying with friends and won't have to schlep my suitcase around. But it's nice to know there's someone else who will be dealing with a long plane ride :).

Hahaha what you said about picwhoring is duly noted (although I have an idea what it is, but I'm not completely sure).

And, yes, I'm trying to leave California for a few years because I know this is where I want to live and work later on. This is my one chance to live somewhere different!

HWS08
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby HWS08 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:41 am

ajtdq wrote:
ahduth wrote:If you're not meeting with anyone, you just wear whatever's comfortable.

If you're meeting with someone important, dress to the nines and make them remember you.



Thanks, ahduth.

Does "dress to the nines" mean a pantsuit or a skirt/blouse outfit?


I generally prefer a skirt with a jacket or skirt suit, but that may just be me. I hate dress pants and wear skirts/dresses to work about 90% of the time.

I'm visiting a school as an accepted student Friday and plan to wear dark jeans, a sweater, and a nice pair of flats.

User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:36 pm

ajtdq wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:
ajtdq wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:[
I will be out there for a few days, so I'm staying with friends and won't have to schlep my suitcase around. But it's nice to know there's someone else who will be dealing with a long plane ride :).

Hahaha what you said about picwhoring is duly noted (although I have an idea what it is, but I'm not completely sure).

And, yes, I'm trying to leave California for a few years because I know this is where I want to live and work later on. This is my one chance to live somewhere different!


lucky! that would make things easier!

oh yeah the only flight i could find that wasn't ridiculously expensive has 2 layovers for a total of over 7 hours of layovers alone. and i have to fly out at 6am. worst plane ride ever!!! they should let me in for enduring this flight :)

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby KMaine » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:39 pm

I remember when a thread like this would get tons of inapporpriate posts. What has happened to you TLS?

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby buckilaw » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:59 pm

KMaine wrote:I remember when a thread like this would get tons of inapporpriate posts. What has happened to you TLS?


Gauntlet Accepted.

This is your #1 school, you want to be noticed, you want adcoms to salivate over the confidence you project, you need to dominate this visit. I recommend wearing a small bikini that matches the school's colors. You should wear this regardless of the weather.

User avatar
santoinettea
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby santoinettea » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:39 pm

I hear you. I always see tips for guys but few for girls.

For visiting a school (and not meeting anyone), I think your skirt and tights are great.

For regional receptions, on-campus admitted student days, or visits where you meet faculty, schools and students seem to recommend business casual. To me, this means skirt, blouse, tights, and/or jacket. Or another more comfortable option, slacks and a jacket. Basically, I think we're doomed to this wardrobe forever, heels and all. Good luck!

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby northwood » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:48 pm

IM just a guy but
wear whatever is comfortable, but appropriate. Make it comphy but business like. If you normally wear a skirt and shoes( and the weather is nice) wear that. if you normally wear pants wear them.

make sure whatever you decide on works for the weather. If they call for rain or snow or whatnot- be sure to have a backup plan. or a coat

User avatar
JFo
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby JFo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:18 pm

I'm glad someone else is thinking about this.

I'm probably going with some combination of the following:

Fitted skirt, cardigan w/blouse underneath or cute top/jacket, tights, and 2-3 inch heels or wedges. I'm five feet tall on a good day, so some sort of heel is usually a must for me, especially when meeting people for the first time. Luckily, they don't make my feet hurt, at least any more than regular shoes.

I'm likely going to go with a neutral and soft palette of camels or greys with a pop of color, rather than my usual professional black, as I want to seem approachable.

I want to wear my blue suede pumps as the "pop of color," but they're like four inches high, and I feel like that'd be trying to hard.

I wouldn't go with a full suit, pant-ed or no.

User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:37 pm

JFo wrote:I'm glad someone else is thinking about this.

I'm probably going with some combination of the following:

Fitted skirt, cardigan w/blouse underneath or cute top/jacket, tights, and 2-3 inch heels or wedges. I'm five feet tall on a good day, so some sort of heel is usually a must for me, especially when meeting people for the first time. Luckily, they don't make my feet hurt, at least any more than regular shoes.

I'm likely going to go with a neutral and soft palette of camels or greys with a pop of color, rather than my usual professional black, as I want to seem approachable.

I want to wear my blue suede pumps as the "pop of color," but they're like four inches high, and I feel like that'd be trying to hard.

I wouldn't go with a full suit, pant-ed or no.



I right there with you with the heels... i'm under 5 feet as well, but i'm leaning towards boots for comfort.

i have blue suede shoes as well.. steve maddens? :)

I love making an outfit pop with cute shoes! they really can make an outfit! :)

User avatar
JFo
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby JFo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:41 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:
JFo wrote:


i have blue suede shoes as well.. steve maddens? :)



Uh oh. Hope you won't be at the Chicago ASW...

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby Miracle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:54 pm

--LinkRemoved--

what do you think?

User avatar
JFo
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby JFo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:57 pm

Love, if you are tall and have the right complexion.

As a pasty five footer, I would look beyond hideous. Above the knee all the way for me.

User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:20 pm

.
Last edited by Peace of Mind on Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby dood » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:23 pm


User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:25 pm

Miracle wrote:http://www.newport-news.com/shop/product_single.aspx?style_id=36239273&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=ParentItem36239273-RICH_ALMOND-Misses&s_cmp=datafeed_google

what do you think?


I love that outfit! It's sexy while still being simple and professional!
Put on some leopard print heels and you're golden! :)
If you don't want to go with the leopard heels I would at least go with some cute black patent leather pumps.

As JFo said, if you're tall go for it... I can't wear skirts that long, which sucks because that's the trend right now.

btw JFo... mine are 6 inches, so i'm average height with them lol

ajtdq
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear?

Postby ajtdq » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:45 am

buckilaw wrote:
KMaine wrote:I remember when a thread like this would get tons of inapporpriate posts. What has happened to you TLS?


Gauntlet Accepted.

This is your #1 school, you want to be noticed, you want adcoms to salivate over the confidence you project, you need to dominate this visit. I recommend wearing a small bikini that matches the school's colors. You should wear this regardless of the weather.


Should I wear the leopard print one or the black lace?




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest