Visiting Vandy (April 8th and March 25th) Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Grizz

Diamond

Re: Visiting Vandy (April 8th and March 25th)

Post by Grizz » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:08 pm

rad law wrote:All girls wear sexy shit so I may judge you
Also this.

cucullu

Bronze

Post by cucullu » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:38 pm

sghall wrote:For the day. Do you think we have to be business casual or just presentable, like nice jeans, nice top? I'm assuming the auction will be more on the nicer side.
Presentable. That's my plan. I'm a girl so - cute jeans, nice sweater. In other words, what I would wear to class if I were a student.

FWIW, Auction is Prohibition themed. I say we all rock it. Long black gloves anyone?

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:19 pm

cucullu wrote:
sghall wrote:For the day. Do you think we have to be business casual or just presentable, like nice jeans, nice top? I'm assuming the auction will be more on the nicer side.
Presentable. That's my plan. I'm a girl so - cute jeans, nice sweater. In other words, what I would wear to class if I were a student.

FWIW, Auction is Prohibition themed. I say we all rock it. Long black gloves anyone?
haha I'm down

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:32 pm

anyone who went march 25th...how did it go???
what did people wear????

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:08 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:anyone who went march 25th...how did it go???
what did people wear????
They already let you in the school. They aren't going to rescind it if you don't dress up enough for them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:29 pm

Flips88 wrote:
what did people wear????
They already let you in the school. They aren't going to rescind it if you don't dress up enough for them.
I know that :). :oops:

I just don't want to be under or over dressed. Since I'm from the west coast, our version of casual is not everyone's :).

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:31 pm

After being a little disappointed at UT's ASD, I'm super excited for Vandy's. It sounds like it was awesome this weekend.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:33 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
what did people wear????
I know that :). :oops:

I just don't want to be under or over dressed. Since I'm from the west coast, our version of casual is not everyone's :).
Depending on the weather, I plan on being casual and comfortable, especially if I'm going around campus all day. Polo, Jeans or shorts. Would sandals be too relaxed?

Also, I emailed the Scarritt Bennett center thursday or friday and they haven't responded yet. Should I just call?

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:35 pm

The auction was most certainly a shitshow. I hope all of the prospectives who attended had fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cucullu

Bronze

Post by cucullu » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:49 pm

People wore exactly what I said: nice jeans or cords or khakis with button downs or sweaters or nice shirts of some other variety (it was a bit chilly this weekend). What you'd wear to class. For people coming to visit in April: I'd definitely say business casual is slightly overdoing it, and raggedy jeans with a t-shirt is slightly underdoing it, but even so you won't look crazy out of place in either.

Auction was a huge shit show, but current students went out of their way to explain this is one of two times a year (Barrister's Ball is the other) when students go nuts. Quote: "This is NOT what we do every week." One girl even mentioned she was a little worried that prospective students would get the wrong idea of the school.

Current students were very friendly and genuinely enthusiastic about the school. Everyone I talked to raved about how nice and helpful the professors are.

Basically every other admitted student I talked to had at least one if not a handful of T10 acceptances as well, and was seriously considering Vandy for reasons of personal fit and happiness, plus the financial incentive of some of their more generous scholarship offers. I also thought the other admitted students asked thoughtful questions during the panels and made intelligent but not-gunnerish contributions during the mock class.

All in all, it seems like a top quality-of-life place to spend three years. Further, I gathered that the professors and administration will do a lot to see students succeed, and that extra help and mentorship really is there for the taking. As at all schools though, it's on us to reach out and take advantage of it.

Hope that helps, especially for people who won't have a chance to make it for a visit or who haven't heard a final decision yet. Feel free to post questions of general interest on the thread or to PM me specific questions. Cheers all!

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:08 pm

The auction was awesome. Most fun I have had since being here. Definitely not the norm for a Friday afternoon.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:30 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:The auction was awesome. Most fun I have had since being here. Definitely not the norm for a Friday afternoon.
I'm guessing April 8 will be much less crazy what with probably appellate brief and whatnot.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:36 am

rad law wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:The auction was awesome. Most fun I have had since being here. Definitely not the norm for a Friday afternoon.
I'm guessing April 8 will be much less crazy what with probably appellate brief and whatnot.
Agreed. This was the one to be at. But the brief gets assigned on Thursday, not due for two weeks, and no rough draft. There should be some room for drunken shenanigans with admitted students.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Does anyone else who visited this weekend have amazing insights? Did anyone check out apartments?

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:01 pm

I registered for the April 8th asw by going to the link they sent me and filling out a form about two weeks ago, but I realize now I never got any confirmation - did anyone else? I want to make sure I'm actually signed up.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:07 pm

Entchen wrote:I registered for the April 8th asw by going to the link they sent me and filling out a form about two weeks ago, but I realize now I never got any confirmation - did anyone else? I want to make sure I'm actually signed up.
yeah I got a confirmation email that started off with: "Thank you for registering for the Vanderbilt Law Admitted Students Program on April 8, 2011. We are delighted that you are coming to visit our campus."

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:12 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Entchen wrote:I registered for the April 8th asw by going to the link they sent me and filling out a form about two weeks ago, but I realize now I never got any confirmation - did anyone else? I want to make sure I'm actually signed up.
yeah I got a confirmation email that started off with: "Thank you for registering for the Vanderbilt Law Admitted Students Program on April 8, 2011. We are delighted that you are coming to visit our campus."
K, I'll give them a call.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:23 pm

Those without hosts, where are you staying?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:25 pm

akili wrote:Those without hosts, where are you staying?
I emailed Scarritt Bennett last week and never got a response. Do I have to call them?

meryl

New

Post by meryl » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Flips88 wrote:
akili wrote:Those without hosts, where are you staying?
I emailed Scarritt Bennett last week and never got a response. Do I have to call them?

I called Scaritt Bennett to get a room. Keep in mind though that all but two of their rooms only have one twin bed so if you travelling with a guest, it is not the best option.

I visited for the March 25th ASW and was not too impressed.
Some of the negatives:
-Weather was not typical for Nashville -cold and rainy
-My student host never contacted me - neither before the ASP nor during
-Scaritt Bennett did not have any rooms available of the type I requested and gave me a regular room instead of a private with a queen bed (they also do not have heat/ac in the rooms)
-ASP lacked interaction with professors (there was a faculty panel, but lunch with a professor format would have been nicer)

Of course, most of those are not school's fault but it created negative impression.

On the plus side:
-Students seemed friendly and happy with the school
-Administration/career services looked approachable and helpful though they said that they cannot guarantee a job and a lot of students would go through ten interviews and get all rejections
-Campus is beautiful
-Hockey game and auction were a lot of fun

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:08 pm

meryl wrote: -My student host never contacted me - neither before the ASP nor during
If you had a day host, they're pretty much useless anyway. No big deal
-ASP lacked interaction with professors (there was a faculty panel, but lunch with a professor format would have been nicer)
You didn't think it was way more fun to meet possible future classmates and current students than it would be to bullshit with professors (Literally bullshit. They are great, but they have no idea what it's like to be a Vanderbilt student)?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Ok, I am now ACTUALLY registered, and got the confirmation email.

From said email:
Thank you for registering for the Vanderbilt Law Admitted Students Program on April 8, 2011. We are delighted that you will visit and we look forward to your arrival.

In addition to Friday?s events, we are arranging a group to attend the Nashville Predators hockey game Thursday night @ 7:00 p.m. Please contact Ryan Willard (ryan.willard@vanderbilt.edu) for a ticket.
The Preds are definitely not playing on Thursday the 7th.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:54 pm

Entchen wrote:Ok, I am now ACTUALLY registered, and got the confirmation email.

From said email:
Thank you for registering for the Vanderbilt Law Admitted Students Program on April 8, 2011. We are delighted that you will visit and we look forward to your arrival.

In addition to Friday?s events, we are arranging a group to attend the Nashville Predators hockey game Thursday night @ 7:00 p.m. Please contact Ryan Willard (ryan.willard@vanderbilt.edu) for a ticket.
Admitted/current students went to a Predators game last Thursday for the March ASD... they probably just forgot to delete that part of the email for the April ASD attendees.

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:56 pm

ATR wrote:
Entchen wrote:Ok, I am now ACTUALLY registered, and got the confirmation email.

From said email:

Admitted/current students went to a Predators game last Thursday for the March ASD... they probably just forgot to delete that part of the email for the April ASD attendees.
Yes, I realized this. I was pointing that out. Because it is amusing.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:59 pm

I'm getting pretty excited to visit. If I like Vandy like I'm hoping I will, I'll be putting down my deposit (I think).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”