Georgetown March 2011 ASW!

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Marionberry

Georgetown March 2011 ASW!

Postby Marionberry » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:58 pm

Who else is planning on going to the March 24-25 ASW? I just booked my flight and hotel today, I applied ED so I'm excited to go and see where I'll be going to school. I'll also be apartment hunting while I'm there.

granger

Re: Georgetown March 2011 ASW!

Postby granger » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:39 pm

Just wondering, are the other ASW or is this the only one?

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:46 pm

granger wrote:Just wondering, are the other ASW or is this the only one?

There was one last month, this is the only one remaining though they're having admitted student receptions in LA, NYC, and SF, too.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:56 am

Not sure if I am going to be able to make it out there for ASW. I am already taking off a day from work earlier that week. Damn this year is flying by. It almost already time for tuition deposits. Luckily a friend of mine lives out there and may just end up visiting on a different weekend.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:24 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Not sure if I am going to be able to make it out there for ASW. I am already taking off a day from work earlier that week. Damn this year is flying by. It almost already time for tuition deposits. Luckily a friend of mine lives out there and may just end up visiting on a different weekend.

Yah, if you have a friend to stay with it's definitely the way to go. If I hadn't already committed to going and didn't need to pick out an apartment, I don't know if I would go as it's shaping up to be a kind of costly trip.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:46 pm

I'm training down, and staying with my cousin who goes to GW. Should be good times. Debating if I want to do the "night on the town" or the march madness watching party.

I do know that I'm annoyed that to get the cheap train back north I have to depart after 8pm.

bosox

Postby bosox » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:25 am

I will be going and applied ED as well. Do you have specific areas/apartments in mind or are you just going to wander around?

awahoya

Postby awahoya » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:43 am

Flying in from outside the U.S. to go! (well, visiting some other schools too)...went to undergrad in DC, can't wait to be back :)

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:36 am

bosox wrote:I will be going and applied ED as well. Do you have specific areas/apartments in mind or are you just going to wander around?

I have two specific apartment complexes in mind, but I have a few circumstances affecting my choices. I will be married with two dogs when I move to DC. That alone rules out Gerwirz, and many other apartments. I want to be within walking distance of the school for the first year, which is gonna be expensive and really only leaves me with two options that I've found. 425 Mass and The Gables at City Vista. They're both very nice, and very pricey. Luckily, my wife and I will be splitting a 1 bedroom apartment, so in case her income alone isn't enough to cover our COL I can supplement it with loans.

Also, if anyone is planning on staying in a hotel during ASW, hotwire had a pretty good deal (I think) on the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill, which is like a block from GULC. It was $141 a night (on Hotwire it was listed as a 4* in the downtown area), which is about as good a deal as I could find without staying in a crack motel in SE or NE.

bosox

Postby bosox » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:59 am

Marionberry wrote:
bosox wrote:I will be going and applied ED as well. Do you have specific areas/apartments in mind or are you just going to wander around?

I have two specific apartment complexes in mind, but I have a few circumstances affecting my choices. I will be married with two dogs when I move to DC. That alone rules out Gerwirz, and many other apartments. I want to be within walking distance of the school for the first year, which is gonna be expensive and really only leaves me with two options that I've found. 425 Mass and The Gables at City Vista. They're both very nice, and very pricey. Luckily, my wife and I will be splitting a 1 bedroom apartment, so in case her income alone isn't enough to cover our COL I can supplement it with loans.

Also, if anyone is planning on staying in a hotel during ASW, hotwire had a pretty good deal (I think) on the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill, which is like a block from GULC. It was $141 a night (on Hotwire it was listed as a 4* in the downtown area), which is about as good a deal as I could find without staying in a crack motel in SE or NE.

Best of luck to you and hopefully all your needs can be met with what's available. Great find on the hotwire deal--I was going to start looking further out for cheaper deals on a crack motel, so thank you.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:03 am

bosox wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

Best of luck to you and hopefully all your needs can be met with what's available. Great find on the hotwire deal--I was going to start looking further out for cheaper deals on a crack motel, so thank you.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure that one of those apartments will work out great for us. I'm pretty excited about living in a real city, and being back in school again. I just checked on hotwire, and it looks like the Hyatt is still on there, but it's up to $152 now. I made a mistake in my previous post, it is listed as in the White House/Capitol Hill area. It should be one of the first hotel results that comes up for DC. All the hotels in DC seem to be expensive, but it's worth it to avoid staying in an Econolodge in Anacostia.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 pm

I plan to attend as well. Probably going to stay out in NoVA with an uncle, depending on how it goes.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:09 pm

I contacted 425 Mass about their pet policy and below is their response:

In your email you mentioned that you're interested in fees/restrictions regarding pets. What type of pet do you have? We allow dogs and cats here at 425 Mass! There is a $500 non-refundable pet fee($300 if there is a second pet) and pet rent is $45 per month/pet. There are breed restrictions as we do not allow larger breeds such as German Shepard, Rottweilers, Pitbulls, or any other breed that a resident may fear potentially. There is also a weight limit as your pet can't be over 45 lbs or if more than they can't be over a combined weight of 70 lbs.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:16 pm

ArchRoark wrote:I contacted 425 Mass about their pet policy and below is their response:

In your email you mentioned that you're interested in fees/restrictions regarding pets. What type of pet do you have? We allow dogs and cats here at 425 Mass! There is a $500 non-refundable pet fee($300 if there is a second pet) and pet rent is $45 per month/pet. There are breed restrictions as we do not allow larger breeds such as German Shepard, Rottweilers, Pitbulls, or any other breed that a resident may fear potentially. There is also a weight limit as your pet can't be over 45 lbs or if more than they can't be over a combined weight of 70 lbs.

ugh. Well, this may end up being more of a pain in the ass than I had anticipated.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:36 pm

Marionberry wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:I contacted 425 Mass about their pet policy and below is their response:

ugh. Well, this may end up being more of a pain in the ass than I had anticipated.

Have you checked out padmapper? They also mentioned that they could not see their availability more than 60 days out and wouldn't be able to give me prices till June.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:12 pm

I got an email back from the gables saying that they have a weightl imit of 100lbs, but do have breed restrictions so that still doesn't help you a lot. Plus, everywhere seems like they're going to charge an arm and a leg to have a dog.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:53 pm

Housing is turning into more and more of a problem I see growing on the horizon. My girlfriend is likely moving with me wherever I go to school, and apparently that's gonna be really impossible out here at UCLA (not to mention she will have a dog too). I should probably start exploring this in DC...

This "padmapper" is useful?

ppch

Postby ppch » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:06 pm

Last edited by ppch on Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:26 pm

ppch wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Housing is turning into more and more of a problem I see growing on the horizon. My girlfriend is likely moving with me wherever I go to school, and apparently that's gonna be really impossible out here at UCLA (not to mention she will have a dog too). I should probably start exploring this in DC...

This "padmapper" is useful?

I'm still not sure about Georgetown yet but I have been thinking that I would want to live in the Bloomingdale/Eckington neighborhood about 1.3 miles north of the law school campus. There are a lot of row houses and I think rent is pretty reasonable. Granted I wouldn't be looking for a building with lots of amenities (and I know renting from those buildings allows a bit more planning ahead), but it definitely helps you get around the pet rent problem--and I think that area is really cute, if up-and-coming. No idea if this is helpful at all, but just my $0.02.

When you say "up-and-coming", what does that mean the likelihood of getting shot while living there is?

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:This "padmapper" is useful?

I found it useful. Having never lived in DC, I really didn't know where the craigslist listings I was looking at were in relation to the LS. It just takes craigslist postings and overlays them onto a google map.

http://www.padmapper.com

ppch

Postby ppch » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Last edited by ppch on Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:58 pm

ppch wrote:I'm used to living in inner-city neighborhoods, so really, that was just my very personal two cents. There are some good neighborhood blogs/websites that might give people a better idea of what the neighborhoods are like. I think I would be more comfortable there than in a high-rise.

EDIT: It occurred to me that my response might have been a little unhelpful, as I am perhaps oversensitive to that kind of question being posed snarkily. Maybe you weren't being snarky! To be completely honest, I have lived in a few different areas (not in DC) where people do get shot occasionally. They have all been really good places to live, and I have never personally felt threatened. I get the same kind of vibe from this area, I guess? I don't think police statistics are necessarily a good metric (this is especially true in NYC). I went to a party around there and got a good impression--but ultimately people have different comfort zones, DC is a big city, and there are many options.

Sorry, I just saw your edit. I wasn't trying to be snarky, I was just joking a little and your response was helpful! I hear what you're saying, and I understand that the vast majority of violent crimes in these neighborhoods only affect people already involved in the drug trade or other criminal stuff. Personally I would feel comfortable living in a place like this by myself or with other guys, and I'm sure people in the GULC threads are sick of hearing me talk about this, but I'll be moving with my wife and she's wary of living in "the hood". Of course, I can see why this concerns her, but I think it would be fun to live in a neighborhood with a little more culture/history. I know a lot of neighborhoods, like the ones you mentioned, are undergoing some positive changes, are there any others close to the school that you would recommend?

ppch

Postby ppch » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:40 pm

Last edited by ppch on Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:56 pm

Sorry to derail the housing discussion, but anyone else heading to the ASW?

Are you guys going to the optional events (bus tour, campus tour, etc.)?

Also, any deals on cheap hotels nearby? :)

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:22 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:Sorry to derail the housing discussion, but anyone else heading to the ASW?

Are you guys going to the optional events (bus tour, campus tour, etc.)?

Also, any deals on cheap hotels nearby? :)

The only "cheap" hotels you're going to find in DC are gonna be ones you don't want to stay in. I booked the hyatt capitol hill for like 130 a night off of hotwire, which was the best deal I could find, and that was several weeks ago. Even on the discount opaque purchase websites, the prices are pretty high for a decent hotel in the DC area.

If crack and prostitutes is your thing, though, I saw a nice econolodge in southeast for like 70 bucks a night.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”