Most beautiful law school? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
OperaSoprano

Gold

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat May 15, 2010 10:26 am

MrSoOoFLy wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
DaBears wrote:How "beautiful" the law school is shouldn't matter. If YHS were in windowless concrete boxes, they'd still be the best.
Someone goes to fordham
LOL
It's a strange thing, when you're happy to be somewhere, how beautiful that place becomes to you:

This is how our new building will look (the building in the right foreground is the Metropolitan Opera House):

And this is what I walk past when I return from class late in the evening:

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Sat May 15, 2010 10:35 am

Any word on when the new building will be started/finished?

I think they're only a mil away from their 100 mil goal.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat May 15, 2010 10:43 am

MrSoOoFLy wrote:Any word on when the new building will be started/finished?

I think they're only a mil away from their 100 mil goal.
The hope is in time for your class to see it before you graduate. The good news is that Fordham won against local landowners who attempted to block the building's construction because it would "interfere with their views," so I believe Fordham has all the necessary permits, and it's now just a matter of raising funds. There were a couple of big gifts recently (someone just gave over $5 million), and I also noted happily that this year's biggest scholarships are $15k more than last year's.

DaBears

New

Post by DaBears » Sat May 15, 2010 11:11 am

MrSoOoFLy wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
DaBears wrote:How "beautiful" the law school is shouldn't matter. If YHS were in windowless concrete boxes, they'd still be the best.
Someone goes to fordham
LOL

Try again. Don't go to law school yet, but I'd be a total dumbbass to have architectural style influence my decision in any way.
:D :D

lawyerhopefull

New

Post by lawyerhopefull » Sat May 15, 2010 2:44 pm

Yeah, how pretty the buildings are only matter when your the homeless guy pissing in the bushes outside of it, what really matters is how pretty the teachers are......... :wink:
DaBears wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
Someone goes to fordham
LOL

Try again. Don't go to law school yet, but I'd be a total dumbbass to have architectural style influence my decision in any way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OrcinusOrcas

New

Post by OrcinusOrcas » Sun May 16, 2010 12:06 am

DaBears wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
Someone goes to fordham
LOL

True. But this is totally relevant and fun for those of us who have already made the decision and are staring down 3 more months of boredom / soul-crushing jobs...and I get the feeling that we're going to be using these last few months to make a lot of TLS posts :D

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun May 16, 2010 12:42 pm

DaBears wrote: Try again. Don't go to law school yet, but I'd be a total dumbbass to have architectural style influence my decision in any way.
I don't completely agree with this. I was choosing between peer schools with very similar scholarships. The choice between schools was so tight that I was looking at *every* consideration, including how comfortable I felt in the buidings.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Sun May 16, 2010 12:45 pm

emrose wrote:
DaBears wrote: Try again. Don't go to law school yet, but I'd be a total dumbbass to have architectural style influence my decision in any way.
I don't completely agree with this. I was choosing between peer schools with very similar scholarships. The choice between schools was so tight that I was looking at *every* consideration, including how comfortable I felt in the buidings.
+1

Generic20101L

Bronze

Post by Generic20101L » Sun May 16, 2010 6:04 pm

Marquette's brand new building will be up there, as far as modern architecture goes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DaBears

New

Post by DaBears » Sun May 16, 2010 6:26 pm

emrose wrote:
I would argue that the choice between two law schools is NEVER close enough to where "beauty" of the buildings should make the difference. There are too many highly variable factors that truly matter.

I guess it all comes down to your priorities

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun May 16, 2010 6:38 pm

^

Jeez DB...do you tell little kids there's no Santa Claus, too? You sound like a joyless douche. It's just a thread about nice-looking law schools. No one's saying you should choose where you go to school b/c of it. Get over yourself.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun May 16, 2010 6:45 pm

The building itself is a quirky hodge-podge of 1920s and 1980s, but the view out the NU law library is consistently gorgeous.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun May 16, 2010 7:04 pm

kdw94780 wrote:

I think few can top this.
+the name is Anheuser-Busch...sweet!
I know I'm biased, but a big +1 to this. Gorgeous campus, kick-ass name (AB Hall), amazing buiding, and it is in a beauitful area of town.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Sun May 16, 2010 7:16 pm

VUgly: stanford

(I worked there for 3 years so I can say this)

Also ugly: ucla

Pretty: northwestern

Beautiful: vanderbilt

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun May 16, 2010 7:24 pm

My school, Southwestern, is housed in one of the most important art deco buildings.

DaBears

New

Post by DaBears » Sun May 16, 2010 7:34 pm

MrKappus wrote:^

Jeez DB...do you tell little kids there's no Santa Claus, too? You sound like a joyless douche. It's just a thread about nice-looking law schools. No one's saying you should choose where you go to school b/c of it. Get over yourself.
:D Um that's actually what is being said--that law school beauty can be the deciding factor. Nothing personal, I just don't think that's legit.

-A Joyless Douche :D

P.S. Ya know that person who puts a dollar under your pillow when you lose a tooth? That' not the tooth fairy, that's your mother.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Sun May 16, 2010 9:51 pm

DaBears wrote:
emrose wrote:
I would argue that the choice between two law schools is NEVER close enough to where "beauty" of the buildings should make the difference. There are too many highly variable factors that truly matter.

I guess it all comes down to your priorities
Really? If my cycle and the cycles of many people I know are any indication, I'd bet this happens much more often than never. Perhaps this is overstating the case. Did the beauty of the school make *the* difference in these decisions? Probably not, but it certainly played a more-than-trivial role. And why should this be surprising? Apart from purely personal considerations, it seems that the aesthetics of law schools are one of the only factors that very clearly distinguish peer schools from one another.

On the other hand, I might just be a sucker for pretty things. :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:12 pm

kdw94780 wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:Wustl

I'd say Michigan does :mrgreen:

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun May 16, 2010 10:14 pm

Michigan & Northwestern.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon May 17, 2010 9:59 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
kdw94780 wrote:
I actually visited Michigan and Vanderbilt and both were downright beautiful, but I still give the edge to WUSTL.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:26 pm

legalease9 wrote:
A'nold wrote:Usually these things are subjective taste, but anybody that says UW law is even remotely attractive is out of his mind (I am from Seattle and have visited the law school multiple times and it is probably one of the ugliest law schools on earth, especially the weird metal igloo thing out front).

It is 100% objective that the most beautiful law schools are 1. Michigan, 2. UConn, 3. Yale, 4. Cornell/thread.

Btw- Seattle is the prettiest city bar far, and the UW undergrad campus is gorgeous, but the law school is butt freaking ugly.
You have to be kidding! The UW building is beautiful (and I too, have visited many times) I will admit the igloo thing is a little "different" but it adds character. And both the interior and exterior are state of the art. Have you ever seen the library on a sunny day? Now I will admit, if you prefer the ancient looking buildings (which can be very beautiful) and aren't a fan of modern styling, you may not like the UW law building as much. Which brings me to my second point, which is that there is no 100% objective view of the most beautiful LS building in the world. It is entirely subjective. Look above at the person who thinks Boston Tower is pretty... :roll: :lol:

Oh and for reference... The UW igloo...

--ImageRemoved--
UW's law school building is pretty nice, but the best part about it is that it's on the main UW campus.

http://depts.washington.edu/mediarel/galleries/

--ImageRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:31 pm

Why not just search for one of the 10 other threads about this?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue May 18, 2010 4:33 pm

legalized wrote:I say University of Michigan. I think I heard fat ladies singing when I saw theirs for the first time. lol
EGREGIOUS anti-Michigan/midwest trolling

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:38 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
kdw94780 wrote:

I was wondering when the Hogwarts picture was going to show up. :lol:

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue May 18, 2010 4:40 pm

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
kdw94780 wrote:

I was wondering when the Hogwarts picture was going to show up. :lol:
+1. Maybe I'll say it this way: WUSTL's campus is more beautiful overall, but I'll give Michigan's law building/quad the nod. Especially the reading room... it was amazing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”