Stanford ASW 2010

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
crackberry

Stanford ASW 2010

Postby crackberry » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:07 am

Hey guys, just creating a thread so we can talk about our expectations before the ASW as well as recap our thoughts after the festivities.

I, for one, am having a tough time deciding which Faculty Panel Discussion to go to on Saturday. Both the Law & Public Policy and the Public Service & Public Interest Law panels pique my interest.

I'm also really looking forward to sitting in on some classes Monday (yes, I am a nerd). I'm particularly interested in Environmental Law & Policy, as that seems right up my alley and the professor, Michael Wara, is something of a hero of mine.

Anyway, I'll stop now and let the masses fire away.

WhiskeyGuy

Re: Stanford ASW 2010

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:31 am

Hey crackberry, thanks for making this. I think you may have an outdated agenda; I don't see enviro law on the agenda.

I'm also torn between Law & Public Policy and Public Service & Public Interest Law. It really is too bad they are each offered only once and during the same time. One session I know I'll attend is the Clinical Legal Education on Sunday. I'm interested to see how much of Stanford's reputation for producing quality practitioners is due to the clinics/externships.

Leaving for San Fran tomorrow. See you all soon.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:36 am

Also definitely going to the Clinics talk Sunday.

Wait, that would be so devastating if the Enviro class is no longer on the agenda. I printed out a schedule from the Admitted Students site either yesterday or the day before and saw it listed in the 11:10-12:40 time slot. Is there an updated schedule that has the "TBD" filled in at 4 pm on Saturday? Cause the one I have printed out still has TBD...

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:44 am

crackberry wrote:Also definitely going to the Clinics talk Sunday.

Wait, that would be so devastating if the Enviro class is no longer on the agenda. I printed out a schedule from the Admitted Students site either yesterday or the day before and saw it listed in the 11:10-12:40 time slot. Is there an updated schedule that has the "TBD" filled in at 4 pm on Saturday? Cause the one I have printed out still has TBD...

Saturday at 4pm is "My Cousin Vinny." I just printed out an agenda and there isn't an Enviro class--sorry, man.

If anyone has thoughts or feedback from previous years on Law & Public Policy vs. Public Service & Public Interest Law, feel free to share. There are at least two folks who would enjoy reading them.

And would people recommend a campus tour over a housing tour if we have never been to Stanford and plan on living in Munger?

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:45 am

Thanks for making the thread . . . I think I'm gonna spend monday looking at housing options if I don't get the chance earlier . . . figure I'll have enough time to take law classes later :D I know there's a housing tour, but my wife is flying in for the day monday to check out where she'll be living for 3 years

Also, any thoughts on a TLS bar meet up for those not who don't end up at the diversity thing friday night?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:52 am

@ WhiskeyGuy: I'd go with the campus tour. If you know you're gonna live in Munger (which I'd definitely recommend for all single students), then the housing tour is sort of useless to you. And if you've never been to Stanford, the campus will probably blow you away.

@ amputatedbrain: I don't plan on traveling down to Palo Alto Friday night, but if you want to check out the bar scene in PA/set up a TLS meet-up, I'd recommend NOLA or Old Pro (right next to each other) on Ramona Street if you want like a traditional bar scene or the Nuthouse on California Avenue if you'd rather be in a dive bar where conversation is much easier (pool tables, darts, etc.).

And :( :( :( :( about dropping the Environmental Law class. I might go anyway. I know that class exists and I know some people in it.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:57 am

crackberry wrote:@ WhiskeyGuy: I'd go with the campus tour. If you know you're gonna live in Munger (which I'd definitely recommend for all single students), then the housing tour is sort of useless to you. And if you've never been to Stanford, the campus will probably blow you away.

@ amputatedbrain: I don't plan on traveling down to Palo Alto Friday night, but if you want to check out the bar scene in PA/set up a TLS meet-up, I'd recommend NOLA or Old Pro (right next to each other) on Ramona Street if you want like a traditional bar scene or the Nuthouse on California Avenue if you'd rather be in a dive bar where conversation is much easier (pool tables, darts, etc.).

And :( :( :( :( about dropping the Environmental Law class. I might go anyway. I know that class exists and I know some people in it.

If you find a way in to a class not listed on the agenda, please share. I'd love to sit in on a criminal class. Unfortunately I have to leave just before Criminal Procedure begins at 11am on Monday.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:07 am

WhiskeyGuy wrote:If you find a way in to a class not listed on the agenda, please share. I'd love to sit in on a criminal class. Unfortunately I have to leave just before Criminal Procedure begins at 11am on Monday.

I'd be willing to bet that if you talk to Faye or someone else in the admissions office, they'd be more than happy to fit you in to almost any class you want, provided it fits your schedule of course.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:25 am

Just got back from the Muse concert in Oracle Arena (amazing!), so I'm trolling the boards pretty late tonight.

As I mentioned in the In at Stanford thread, I can't make it until dinnertime on Saturday. Does anyone know what I should do for check-in (which is supposedly during the morning on Saturday)? I e-mailed Faye a few days ago, but she hasn't responded yet.

Also, anyone going to the Law, Science, & Technology forum on Sunday? Anyone thinking of staying around on Monday go to to Corps and Lemley's Intro to IP (I'm pretty excited for that)? Yay for nerdy, eager 0Ls :D

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:25 am

If I get in during ASW I will fly down that day lol

The Dan

Postby The Dan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:08 pm

Catching a 6am flight tomorrow. I'm pumped for this weekend.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:12 pm

I've had an amazing three days here in SF already, can't wait until tomorrow. If anyone is catching CalTrain in the morning from SF, let me know!

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:11 pm

A friend is driving me up and I will be at Stanford around 9am. If anyone else is going to be there early, let me know!

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:08 pm

Getting in around 9pm . . . anyone else staying in one of the discounted block rooms @ Quality Inn?

ProudFather

Postby ProudFather » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:56 pm

I haven't been to one of these things yet. Are jeans and t-shirts generally okay, or are you expected to have a more "professional" appearance?

fingerscrossed88

Postby fingerscrossed88 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:16 pm

ProudFather wrote:I haven't been to one of these things yet. Are jeans and t-shirts generally okay, or are you expected to have a more "professional" appearance?

I will definitely be in jeans and a t-shirt (haha, since that's all I brought). If the Harvard ASW is anything to judge by, I don't think it matters at all what you wear, although I did think the guy in a head-to-toe Stanford sweatsuit last week looked a little weird.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:39 pm

The ASW was awesome! I had to leave early because I was (and still am) feeling pretty under the weather, but I had a wonderful time meeting the faculty and my fellow admits. My Cousin Vinny and bowling + beer were especially fun :D

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:50 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:The ASW was awesome! I had to leave early because I was (and still am) feeling pretty under the weather, but I had a wonderful time meeting the faculty and my fellow admits. My Cousin Vinny and bowling + beer were especially fun :D

I was pretty impressed with the ASW too. Where you there when Dean Kramer gave his epic answer to the kid who asked if he planned on gaming the rankings to try to get to #1?

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:02 am

amputatedbrain wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:The ASW was awesome! I had to leave early because I was (and still am) feeling pretty under the weather, but I had a wonderful time meeting the faculty and my fellow admits. My Cousin Vinny and bowling + beer were especially fun :D

I was pretty impressed with the ASW too. Where you there when Dean Kramer gave his epic answer to the kid who asked if he planned on gaming the rankings to try to get to #1?

No, when was this?!?! And what did he say? Feel free to PM me if you want :)

Dean Kramer is hilarious, by the way.

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:05 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:

Yes, please share :D

MarkTwain

Postby MarkTwain » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:20 am

I'd like to hear this as well =)

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:21 am

I probably made it sound a little too dramatic before, it was just a really great answer . . . during his time slot on Sunday he was taking questions about anything and everything, and this one guy raises his hand and asks why Stanford was only ranked 3rd, and what he was doing to raise it up to 2 or 1. It was sort of a face-palm moment for a lot of people in the room.

Anyway, so he went over the flaws in the methodology which is nothing new for this forum, and then he basically accused USNWR of fabricating small fluctuations in the ranking (i.e. Stanford moving around between 2 and 3) just to move issues, so it's not just the same rankings over and over in the T14. The best part was when he said he not only *hated* admits who chose H or Y just because they're ranked higher, but he also *hated* anyone who chose S over C or NYU because of the rankings.

SR86

Postby SR86 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:39 am

smov_operator wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:

Yes, please share :D

Haha it was a pretty awesome rant by Dean Kramer for sure. He wasn't too pleased by the question, and he straight-out said no, SLS will not be gaming the rankings while he's Dean. He said at the top-3 level, the minor differences in rankings are pretty insignificant and a function mostly of statistical variations (in survey response rates for example) and of changes in the weightings of each category by USNWR designed just to sell the magazines, because why would anyone buy a new version if the rankings were static (which they mostly are at the top)? He said SLS has not changed in the scoring categories at all in several years but because of the different weightings dropped from #2 to tied for 2 to #3.

He criticized the categories that are used by USNWR, especially the LSAT. He did admit that they considered putting more of an emphasis on the LSAT this year (because according to him, they could easily move into #2 just by pulling the LSAT up a few points), but that the faculty were happy with the type of students Stanford's less LSAT-focused admissions produce, and they decided against it.

Finally he said if someone chooses Yale or HLS over Stanford because of the rankings, then he's glad such a person will not be attending SLS. He said this is an "adult decision", and not to take Stanford above other schools just because it's ranked higher.

I think that's the bulk of what he said but I'm probably missing some stuff. I have to say it was the most enjoyable part of that session (discussion with Dean Kramer).

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:02 pm

How many AA's did you guys see>

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:17 am

Illijah wrote:How many AA's did you guys see>

There was a good number--I think they're the largest minority group at SLS, if I'm not mistaken.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”