Embarrassing Moments during ASDs

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
beesknees

Embarrassing Moments during ASDs

Postby beesknees » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:00 pm

I'll go first.

I arrived a day early for my ASD to visit family in the city. Well, my crazy aunt decides she wants to find exactly where the law school is on campus. So she drives right up in her big towncar and before I could tell her she's about to drive up a walkway, aka NOT a road, we were already half way through the square. When I tell her we can't be driving here (we almost mowed down some students) she stops in front of a familar building. She rolled down the window and shouted to some students "I'm lookin for the lawl school but I don't think I should be here with the car." Turns out we had driven up the lawn to the law school front door. I was mortified but couldn't help but laugh. I wonder if I'll hear about the crazy ladies who drove through campus. FWIW the students were really polite about helping us turn around and get back onto a proper road.

D. H2Oman

Re: Embarrassing Moments during ASDs

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:58 pm

I got confused about the dates of two schools admitted students weekends. (They were on back to back weekends) Anyway I got them backwards and booked plane tickets and hotels rooms on the wrong dates. It wasn't until no one else was around at the first school that I realized my mistake. :oops: :oops: Such of waste of money, one of the dumbest things I've ever done.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:27 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:I got confused about the dates of two schools admitted students weekends. (They were on back to back weekends) Anyway I got them backwards and booked plane tickets and hotels rooms on the wrong dates. It wasn't until no one else was around at the first school that I realized my mistake. :oops: :oops: Such of waste of money, one of the dumbest things I've ever done.

Ouch. I don't know if you work, but also wasting a vacation day sucks

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:32 pm

beesknees wrote:I'll go first.

I arrived a day early for my ASD to visit family in the city. Well, my crazy aunt decides she wants to find exactly where the law school is on campus. So she drives right up in her big towncar and before I could tell her she's about to drive up a walkway, aka NOT a road, we were already half way through the square. When I tell her we can't be driving here (we almost mowed down some students) she stops in front of a familar building. She rolled down the window and shouted to some students "I'm lookin for the lawl school but I don't think I should be here with the car." Turns out we had driven up the lawn to the law school front door. I was mortified but couldn't help but laugh. I wonder if I'll hear about the crazy ladies who drove through campus. FWIW the students were really polite about helping us turn around and get back onto a proper road.

lmfao....what school?

Snowdrifter

Postby Snowdrifter » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:59 pm

This will be even more amusing if it was HYS. :D

acdisagod

Postby acdisagod » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:13 am

Someones dad at ASD at Cornell kept blurting out answers when the professor was adressing students during a crim law class and she seemed really embarrassed.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:36 am

OP: I heard of someone's dad who repeatedly fell of his segway at UT. That sounds more drawn out and potentially more embarrassing than your situation.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:18 am

Lewis and Clark's ASD had a few embarrassing moments for me. The most embarrassing was on the student-guided tours. First, I am a man, which is important for this story. Our student guides were pretty immature and not very helpful overall, so, getting annoyed, I snuck off to have a smoke while they were touring the career center or something. Apparently, they split the groups by gender at that point and retired to the career center's bathrooms. I came back in, looked around for my group (ironically, the 'pink' group), and found all the ladies walking out of the the women's restroom. I followed them out and met up with the rest of the boys, without anyone mentioning anything. I suppose it looked like I was either a creeper or an unsuccessful (passing-wise) [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.] when I returned with a gaggle of girls after the group potty breaks. Oops.

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:41 am

I was embarrassed for the 0L (obviously not a TLS-er) who asked our student guide during GW's preview day: "So, like, how much homework do you have?"

spaceinvader3

Postby spaceinvader3 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:51 am

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:55 am

acdisagod wrote:Someones dad at ASD at Cornell kept blurting out answers when the professor was adressing students during a crim law class and she seemed really embarrassed.

I still cannot believe parents came to ASW anywhere. At Northwestern I didn't see one. Though to be fair I might have just confused them for students?

Seriously, I wouldn't allow my parents to go under any circumstance, nor would they even want to.
Last edited by 09042014 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:57 am

spaceinvader3 wrote:This one @ LSU:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=105026&p=2817990#p2817990

!

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:57 am

Desert Fox wrote:
acdisagod wrote:Someones dad at ASD at Cornell kept blurting out answers when the professor was adressing students during a crim law class and she seemed really embarrassed.

I still cannot belief parents came to ASW anywhere. At Northwestern I didn't see one. Though to be fair I might have just confused them for students?

Seriously, I wouldn't allow my parents to go under any circumstance, nor would they even want to.

I imagine that NW students tend to be older and less reliant on their parents. At the MN and Iowa ASDs, I'd say about 1/5 students was accompanied by a relative.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:01 am

Last edited by Amelie on Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:03 am

JOThompson wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I still cannot belief parents came to ASW anywhere. At Northwestern I didn't see one. Though to be fair I might have just confused them for students?

I imagine that NW students tend to be older and less reliant on their parents. At the MN and Iowa ASDs, I'd say about 1/5 students was accompanied by a relative.

I only saw one at U Chicago's. I was kind of surprised at how few there were.

liquidsword

Postby liquidsword » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:12 am

Desert Fox wrote:

I still cannot believe parents came to ASW anywhere. At Northwestern I didn't see one. Though to be fair I might have just confused them for students?

If they were paying for my legal education, I'd let them go.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:15 am

liquidsword wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

True, but I'd do a lot of terrible things for 220 thousand dollars.

liquidsword

Postby liquidsword » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:16 am

Desert Fox wrote:
liquidsword wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

True, but I'd do a lot of terrible things for 220 thousand dollars.

lol, fair enough.

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:20 am

I didnt see anything too terrible at W & L ASW but everyone goes to "the bar" the last night. Apparently one guy got really drunk and passed out at someone's house, ended up with sharpie marker on his face a la Freshman year. I only heard about it on here, but that would probably would make for an awkward hallway moment 1L

doza

Postby doza » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:28 pm

spaceinvader3 wrote:This one @ LSU:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=105026&p=2817990#p2817990

Ha!!!

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:32 pm

At ND, one Mom freaked the fuck out on the career services lady. It was uncomfortable for everyone...but her son and husband seemed oddly resigned.

eldizknee

Postby eldizknee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:50 pm

eldizknee wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:At ND, one Mom freaked the fuck out on the career services lady. It was uncomfortable for everyone...but her son and husband seemed oddly resigned.

DESCRIBE this freakout in detail plz

So there I was.

I was sitting two rows in front of the woman who will be known as, "Money Mom," for our purposes.

I was a lovely room and I was having a moderately decent time playing my hourly Notre Dame ASD game of, 'spot the crucifix in THIS room.' We had just finished tours and everyone was settling in for the career services talk. It was pretty standard, vaguely trying to gloss over the economy troubles but overall a pretty good and realistic presentation. They were explaining that the same grants they give to 1Ls who do unpaid summer work had been extended to 2Ls. The number $4,000 as part of the grants was mentioned.

And then...

Money Mom- "Wait, so you're telling me my son will only make $4,000 dollars the summer after his second year?"

Career Service Lady (CSL)- "No, we're saying that those who take-"

Money Mom- "As a mother, I have heard that he should expect to make far more his second year This is what I've heard as a mother of a prospective law student."

CSL- "Right, but what-"

Money Mom- "As a mother, I was told he will work for a judge his first year and then work for a firm where he will be making many, many thousands. Many thousands. Every week."

CSL- "Yes, that is the ideal and traditional-"

Money Mom- "And now you're telling me that he will only make $4,000 by the time he leaves school? That is not what I have been told about law school."

CSL- "I understand that-"

Money Mom- "I understand what YOU'RE saying. You're saying that you'll give him $4,000. Great. That's just GREAT. But that's not what I've been told to expect."

*awkward silence*

CSL- "We're saying that for the students who have not found summer associate work--"

Money Mom- "As a parent, I have heard things that don't line up to what you're saying. At all."

And so on and so forth.

eldizknee

Postby eldizknee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:52 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:52 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
eldizknee wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:At ND, one Mom freaked the fuck out on the career services lady. It was uncomfortable for everyone...but her son and husband seemed oddly resigned.

DESCRIBE this freakout in detail plz

So there I was.

I was sitting two rows in front of the woman who will be known as, "Money Mom," for our purposes.

I was a lovely room and I was having a moderately decent time playing my hourly Notre Dame ASD game of, 'spot the crucifix in THIS room.' We had just finished tours and everyone was settling in for the career services talk. It was pretty standard, vaguely trying to gloss over the economy troubles but overall a pretty good and realistic presentation. They were explaining that the same grants they give to 1Ls who do unpaid summer work had been extended to 2Ls. The number $4,000 as part of the grants was mentioned.

And then...

Money Mom- "Wait, so you're telling me my son will only make $4,000 dollars the summer after his second year?"

Career Service Lady (CSL)- "No, we're saying that those who take-"

Money Mom- "As a mother, I have heard that he should expect to make far more his second year This is what I've heard as a mother of a prospective law student."

CSL- "Right, but what-"

Money Mom- "As a mother, I was told he will work for a judge his first year and then work for a firm where he will be making many, many thousands. Many thousands. Every week."

CSL- "Yes, that is the ideal and traditional-"

Money Mom- "And now you're telling me that he will only make $4,000 by the time he leaves school? That is not what I have been told about law school."

CSL- "I understand that-"

Money Mom- "I understand what YOU'RE saying. You're saying that you'll give him $4,000. Great. That's just GREAT. But that's not what I've been told to expect."

*awkward silence*

CSL- "We're saying that for the students who have not found summer associate work--"

Money Mom- "As a parent, I have heard things that don't line up to what you're saying. At all."

And so on and so forth.

If my guest flipped out like that, I would be too embarrassed to matriculate at the school. Holy crap.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”