Bronze

Re: Columbia ASW March 3-4!

Post by Dtackpat75 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:35 pm

pea coats everywhere

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:37 pm

georgina wrote:you're a girl, too? wow, seriously, i am TERRIBLE at determining gender based on tls.

you mean no uggs ever anymore anywhere in new york, or just at the ASD? my impression is that the world is still obsessed with them. like, i couldn't believe my eyes when i was in SF last week and people THERE were wearing uggs.

oh, and it's still cold enough that people in nyc are wearing wool coats, right? like people haven't ignored the 30 degree weather and moved onto spring coats anyway have they?
fwiw, I still wear uggs to walk from point A to point B when it's cold out and then change when I get to my destination (but not the 'classic' kind, I'm not sure if anyone wears those anymore). Lots of people do that in Chicago, but it makes sense here because it gets so cold in the winter. I'd probably do it in New York too, if it got cold enough. I don't think there's any excuse for wearing them in SF though.

About the coats, it looks to be in the 40s next week in New York, so maybe it's a little warm for a full-on wool coat? (Or maybe I'm just so used to extremely cold temps that 40-degree weather seems warm to me)

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:32 pm

A non-apparel-related question: does anyone know if they've released a more detailed breakdown of next week's schedule than the one on their website? I remember reading an old CLS thread from last year where people seemed to have more detailed info than the current schedule gives (i.e., time slots for viewing different buildings & types of apartments within the general time slot for viewing CLS housing).

georgina

Bronze

Post by georgina » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:54 pm

blue5385 wrote:A non-apparel-related question: does anyone know if they've released a more detailed breakdown of next week's schedule than the one on their website? I remember reading an old CLS thread from last year where people seemed to have more detailed info than the current schedule gives (i.e., time slots for viewing different buildings & types of apartments within the general time slot for viewing CLS housing).
i have not seen one. i imagine the detailed breakdown will be given out at registration.

has anyone seen any breakdown at all for nyu? the schedules i've seen are all so vague, which is difficult for those of us heading down to nyu thursday afternoon/evening.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:37 pm

Whatever I end up wearing, I'm sure I'll be terribly under-dressed. But I will be dressed. Jeans and a t-shirt. Maybe a leather jacket if it's cold, because that's the only jacket I have.

Do we have to sign up for classes to visit at either NYU or Columbia? Is there some kind of deadline for applying for travel stipends?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:43 pm

tomhobbes wrote:Whatever I end up wearing, I'm sure I'll be terribly under-dressed. But I will be dressed. Jeans and a t-shirt. Maybe a leather jacket if it's cold, because that's the only jacket I have.

Do we have to sign up for classes to visit at either NYU or Columbia? Is there some kind of deadline for applying for travel stipends?
I don't think there's a formal signup for CLS. On the CLS admitted students' website they ask you to show up a couple minutes early & let the professor know you'll be sitting in on his/her class, but that's about it. I'm not sure about NYU, though (I hate to say it because it's not fair to NYU, but I've been focusing my ASW planning almost completely on CLS instead of equally on both schools).

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:14 pm

blue5385 wrote:I hate to say it because it's not fair to NYU, but I've been focusing my ASW planning almost completely on CLS instead of equally on both schools.
+1

lsathalon

Bronze

Post by lsathalon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:56 pm

NYU is the same deal; just let the professor know a few minutes before class.

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:03 am

Do you guys have any suggestions on profs to visit?

So far, I'm thinking of checking out Jamal Greene's conlaw class...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:02 am

georgina wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:i was wondering what to wear, too. i was thinking of wearing kinda a cute dressed-up-but-not-business-casual outfit. i may be the girl in colored tights.....or maybe i'll just wear jeans...

since i already live in nyc, i didn't ask for a student host, but is it typical to ask for one anyway to be a guide during the day, or are we mostly with each other?

also, this isn't about CLS ASW, but does anyone remember the login/password for NYU's admitted students' site? is it SSN and then a password we chose?

oh, and no uggs under any circumstances!!!!!
you're a girl, too? wow, seriously, i am TERRIBLE at determining gender based on tls.

you mean no uggs ever anymore anywhere in new york, or just at the ASD? my impression is that the world is still obsessed with them. like, i couldn't believe my eyes when i was in SF last week and people THERE were wearing uggs.

oh, and it's still cold enough that people in nyc are wearing wool coats, right? like people haven't ignored the 30 degree weather and moved onto spring coats anyway have they?
def a girl....i tend to assume gender neutral handles and avatars are male as well....i don't know why although i am sure feminist theories could posit a few reasons, heh

people wear uggs in nyc. a lot. way too much. i guess i just have an unreasonable bias against people over the age of sixteen or so wearing them. my ten-year-old sister and her friends wear them a lot, and it's cute; they go well with braces and the peace sign accessories that seem to be hot right now with the younger set.

wool coats are fine. definitely dress for the weather or you'll be miserable.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:20 am

Hey guys - I'm a CLS 1L and I thought I'd jump in and offer some advice:

-Business casual is definitely not necessary. Most people will be casual. You probably want to look nice (i.e., not ripped jeans and a t-shirt) but jeans and a casual button down or jeans an a sweater are fine (and whatever the equivalent is for girls). There is always one kid who shows up in a suit, but you can just laugh at him.

-Many, many people do both the CLS and NYU ASWs back to back. The afternoon of the second day isn't very important at CLS, and likewise the morning of the first day isn't very important at NYU. Take the subway downtown during lunchtime on the 4th.

-If you guys are looking for prof suggestions, here are a few: Dubler is really good for conlaw (it gives you a good idea of a "typical" 1L class). Lynch is great for criminal law, but his class meets at 8am. Ferguson is generally considered one of the best profs at the law school, and he teaches a 1L elective (art of legal persuasion). Happy to share what I've heard if people have specfic professors they were thinking about checking out.
Last edited by imchuckbass58 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:18 am

imchuckbass58 wrote:Hey guys - I'm a CLS 1L and I thought I'd jump in and offer some advice:

-Business casual is definitely not necessary. Most people will be casual. You probably want to look nice (i.e., not ripped jeans and a t-shirt) but jeans and a casual button down or jeans an a sweater are fine (and whatever the equivalent is for girls). There is always one kid who shows up in a suit, but you can just laugh at him.

-Many, many people do both the CLS and NYU ASWs back to back. The afternoon of the second day isn't very important at CLS, and likewise the morning of the first day isn't very important at NYU. Take the subway downtown during lunchtime on the 4th.

-If you guys are looking for prof suggestions, here are a few: Dubler is really good for conlaw (it gives you a good idea of a "typical" 1L class). Lynch is great for criminal law, but his class meets at 8am. Ferguson is generally considered one of the best profs at the law school, and he teaches a 1L elective (art of legal persuasion). Happy to share what I've heard if people have specfic professors they were thinking about checkin out.
Thanks, chuckbass! This is really helpful advice :)

edit: Which would be the best train to take from CLS to NYU?

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:00 pm

^
probably the 1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:22 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:^
probably the 1
Thanks! :D Do you happen to know which are the CLS/NYU stops?

(Sorry for all the transportation-related questions, I have no familiarity whatsoever with the New York subway system.)

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:44 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote: -If you guys are looking for prof suggestions, here are a few: Dubler is really good for conlaw (it gives you a good idea of a "typical" 1L class). Lynch is great for criminal law, but his class meets at 8am. Ferguson is generally considered one of the best profs at the law school, and he teaches a 1L elective (art of legal persuasion). Happy to share what I've heard if people have specfic professors they were thinking about checking out.
What have you heard about Mark Barenberg, Christina Burnett, and Jamal Greene for conlaw? They all teach conlaw from 10:40am or 11:00am to 12:00pm on Wednesdays, so I'm trying to figure out which of the four profs (including Dubler) to visit.

Also, I want to check out Tim Wu, but he's teaching crimlaw. Would it be worth it to still check out the class? I'd check out Lynch, but the 8am class is a little too early for me.
Last edited by Tofu on Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agentdedalus

New

Post by agentdedalus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:52 pm

think i'm waiting until the April ASW, but it would be interesting to get feedback from people as to what classes were most interesting/helpful to attend once they've returned.

i'm particularly interested in IP courses, but no doubt people are similarly curious with regard to other focuses, or even basic classes?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:54 pm

blue5385 wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:^
probably the 1
Thanks! :D Do you happen to know which are the CLS/NYU stops?

(Sorry for all the transportation-related questions, I have no familiarity whatsoever with the New York subway system.)
Columbia is 116th St-Columbia University (easy). The closest stop on the 1 for NYU is Christopher St-Sheridan Sq.

The route I would take is the 1 downtown from Columbia to 59th St-Columbus Circle and switch there to the downtown A, B or D express to W 4th St. The 1 is a local, so it's a lot slower than the express trains, and the W 4th St stop is a little closer to NYU than Sheridan Square is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:02 pm

Starting to get excited about this. Does anybody have suggestions for where to stay inexpensively once the Columbia side of the visit turns into the NYU side? I assume that I'll be crashing with Columbia kids (if any respond to my e-mails) on the 3rd and 4th. Would it be crass to just ask to stay through the weekend while I visit their "rival" school?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:36 pm

BenJ wrote: Columbia is 116th St-Columbia University (easy). The closest stop on the 1 for NYU is Christopher St-Sheridan Sq.

The route I would take is the 1 downtown from Columbia to 59th St-Columbus Circle and switch there to the downtown A, B or D express to W 4th St. The 1 is a local, so it's a lot slower than the express trains, and the W 4th St stop is a little closer to NYU than Sheridan Square is.
This is probably the best way.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:39 pm

Tofu wrote:
What have you heard about Mark Barenberg, Christina Burnett, and Jamal Greene for conlaw? They all teach conlaw from 10:40am or 11:00am to 12:00pm on Wednesdays, so I'm trying to figure out which of the four profs (including Dubler) to visit.

Also, I want to check out Tim Wu, but he's teaching crimlaw. Would it be worth it to still check out the class? I'd check out Lynch, but the 8am class is a little too early for me.
I have not heard anything about Barenberg and Burnett. Jamal Greene is supposedly very brilliant (he's also quite young), but I'm not sure how he is as a teacher. I haven't heard raves or complaints about his classes, but I went to one of his talks last semester and I wasn't particularly blown away. I would recommend Dubler (I have her, and I know she's solid), but if someone tells you different, they're not necessarily wrong.

Tim Wu's a great professor. Crim is not his specialty (he's an IP guy) but he's also young and very engaging. I'm sure it would be good.

Crim and conlaw also tend to be some of the more accessible subjects for 0Ls to understand. You might get lost if you try to check out property or some of the upper level classes just because of all the jargon being thrown around and the lack of context.

deneuve39

Bronze

Post by deneuve39 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:56 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Tofu wrote:

I have not heard anything about Barenberg and Burnett. Jamal Greene is supposedly very brilliant (he's also quite young), but I'm not sure how he is as a teacher. I haven't heard raves or complaints about his classes, but I went to one of his talks last semester and I wasn't particularly blown away. I would recommend Dubler (I have her, and I know she's solid), but if someone tells you different, they're not necessarily wrong.

Tim Wu's a great professor. Crim is not his specialty (he's an IP guy) but he's also young and very engaging. I'm sure it would be good.

Crim and conlaw also tend to be some of the more accessible subjects for 0Ls to understand. You might get lost if you try to check out property or some of the upper level classes just because of all the jargon being thrown around and the lack of context.
I have Burnett and she's great: super energetic and you'll get a good idea of what a typical law school class is like. Greene is sort of like one of CLS's major recent hires but I have a few friends in his class who find his lecture style pretty boring, so I don't recommend you sitting in on that class. Also although I agree with chuckbass regarding property generally, if you get a chance to check out Heller's class (2:50-4:10) I highly recommend it. I have him and it's awesome.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:33 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
BenJ wrote: Columbia is 116th St-Columbia University (easy). The closest stop on the 1 for NYU is Christopher St-Sheridan Sq.

This is probably the best way.
thanks guys! :)

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:20 pm

I just got the assigned reading for my mock class on Thursday... kind of intense haha

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:30 pm

maggiebre wrote:I just got the assigned reading for my mock class on Thursday... kind of intense haha
me too!

.....and the work has started, six months before any of us will really be at CLS :)

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:33 pm

maggiebre wrote:I just got the assigned reading for my mock class on Thursday... kind of intense haha
Haha me too. Let the gunning begin

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”