Michigan ASW Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
summerschooled

Bronze

Re: Michigan ASW

Post by summerschooled » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:19 pm

holydonkey wrote:My favorite exchange was between a 0L that asked a ton of questions in each session and the prof on the Academia/Clerkship panel.

0L (in high and mighty voice): I'm going to be a professor at a T14 school. As a percentage, how many students does Michigan place as professors at T14 schools strait out of law school?

Prof (in irony laden voice): About 0.8%. T14 schools usually hire between 0-2 new professors strait from law school each year.
:lol: That was one of my favorites, too.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:Short review of ASW

Overall I thought it was great. They really shared a lot of information in a short amount of time. Highlights for me included the Faculty Panel and the Career Services session. Also really enjoyed the mock class (Torts w/ Clark) and the real class (Con Law w/ Primus). I didn't find the housing panel particularly helpful unless you are planning on living in the Lawyers Club (who on TLS wants to fess up to starting the conversation on having a fear of walking to the showers in a towel? :roll: ).
Haha, +1

If you're on here, please out yourself.
That girl was getting eye rolls at every session she attended. Definitely a gunner in training

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:23 pm

What are the gym facilities like? I am used to year round summer basically and being able to run/play sports year round, but in a real winter I'd want a decent gym, with weights and maybe a basketball court? I guess I'll go see myself soon enough but just wondering.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:12 pm

weee wrote:What are the gym facilities like? I am used to year round summer basically and being able to run/play sports year round, but in a real winter I'd want a decent gym, with weights and maybe a basketball court? I guess I'll go see myself soon enough but just wondering.
The CCRB has squash courts, racquet courts, three full size basketball courts, a pool, a volleyball court, decent weight/cardio rooms, etc.. The IMSB has four more full size basketball courts, a pool, weight/cardio rooms, etc.. The NCRB has two more basketball courts, racquetball courts, a pool, multiple weight rooms, an indoor running track, saunas, etc.. UofM is a big school out in the Midwest with very competitive sports programs, I don't think gym facilities would be a problem, tbh. Although, I'm sure there are times it's crowded and you have to wait for a spot. I think one of the admissions staff told me that one of the gyms was open till 2 AM.

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:13 pm

Just got the email -- soo excited! I'm staying at the Michigan League, anyone else?

Also, I'll re-extend my invite-- if anyone wants company in the cab ride, I'm getting in at 2:30 and I'll be happy to cover it since i get the darrow reimbursement :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:21 pm

Staying at the campus Inn. Won't get in till late Thursday though.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Campus Inn! Can't wait to meet everyone.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:35 pm

nixxers wrote:Just got the email -- soo excited! I'm staying at the Michigan League, anyone else?

Also, I'll re-extend my invite-- if anyone wants company in the cab ride, I'm getting in at 2:30 and I'll be happy to cover it since i get the darrow reimbursement :)
Yea, it's getting close now, only a week and a half! :mrgreen:

loveistheway

New

Post by loveistheway » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Yes, the girl who asked about how to avoid being seen in a towel was funny, but also young, so I give her a pass. My favorite question came at the very end of the weekend. It went something like (and I'll only slightly exaggerate for effect),

"So, ya, we're hearing all about how great the faculty is and how nice the students are. How everyone has a lot of fun with each other and generally just loves this place. You've all talked a lot about the close-knit community and how that fosters a better learning environment. But, what if you don't want that kind of experience. What if you just want to stay in your room all the time studying and don't really like to interact with people?"

Best moment ever!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:49 pm

loveistheway wrote:Yes, the girl who asked about how to avoid being seen in a towel was funny, but also young, so I give her a pass. My favorite question came at the very end of the weekend. It went something like (and I'll only slightly exaggerate for effect),

"So, ya, we're hearing all about how great the faculty is and how nice the students are. How everyone has a lot of fun with each other and generally just loves this place. You've all talked a lot about the close-knit community and how that fosters a better learning environment. But, what if you don't want that kind of experience. What if you just want to stay in your room all the time studying and don't really like to interact with people?"

Best moment ever!
after that question (and the crickets) I imagined Dean Z thinking "god, I hope we didn't give her money to come here. God, I hope we didn't give her money to come here"

ohmy212

New

Post by ohmy212 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:04 pm

Hi guys,

I'm getting in on Thursday, March 25 at around noon. If anyone wants to split a cab, let me know.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:22 pm

loveistheway wrote:Yes, the girl who asked about how to avoid being seen in a towel was funny, but also young, so I give her a pass. My favorite question came at the very end of the weekend. It went something like (and I'll only slightly exaggerate for effect),

Best moment ever!
That's what H and CC are for?

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:51 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
weee wrote:What are the gym facilities like? I am used to year round summer basically and being able to run/play sports year round, but in a real winter I'd want a decent gym, with weights and maybe a basketball court? I guess I'll go see myself soon enough but just wondering.
The CCRB has squash courts, racquet courts, three full size basketball courts, a pool, a volleyball court, decent weight/cardio rooms, etc.. The IMSB has four more full size basketball courts, a pool, weight/cardio rooms, etc.. The NCRB has two more basketball courts, racquetball courts, a pool, multiple weight rooms, an indoor running track, saunas, etc.. UofM is a big school out in the Midwest with very competitive sports programs, I don't think gym facilities would be a problem, tbh. Although, I'm sure there are times it's crowded and you have to wait for a spot. I think one of the admissions staff told me that one of the gyms was open till 2 AM.
::weeps with joy:: I can't wait to get to a school with half-decent athletic facilities... but what are the CCRB/IMSB/NCRB?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:52 pm

JRMjr wrote:

Best moment ever!
after that question (and the crickets) I imagined Dean Z thinking "god, I hope we didn't give her money to come here. God, I hope we didn't give her money to come here"
If you're talking about the girl at the alumni panel, I do think she meant more the college town atmosphere than everyone being friends. I met her a couple of times throughout the weekend and she didn't really come off like that in a small group, and especially for older students I can understand wondering about that. (Of course, if you're talking about someone else I must have missed that question and never mind me) The towel girl was kind of silly; I was thinking "is it just that hard to wear your pajamas or something to the shower if you're so worried?"

Overall I loved Preview Weekend. Definitely made me want to go to Mich even more. I'm worried I made an ass of myself at the Phid house party, but I always worry that when I drink that much and it's always unwarranted afaik. :lol: It's why I don't get hammered so often.

@nixxers Those are the names of the gyms. My guide for the central campus tour took us by the CCRB (I think) and it seemed fine; I'm not much of a gym person so idk really.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:57 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:All, I land at 9 am on the 25th and have rented a small car if anyone wants to carpool from the airport.

PM me if interested.
Just got my e-mail. I'll be staying at Campus Inn. If anyone needs a ride, let me know.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:01 pm

thalassocrat wrote: Overall I loved Preview Weekend. Definitely made me want to go to Mich even more. I'm worried I made an ass of myself at the Phid house party, but I always worry that when I drink that much and it's always unwarranted afaik. :lol: It's why I don't get hammered so often.
haha, yeah, the phid party was fun, although there are large chunks of time from that night that I just don't remember

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
thalassocrat wrote: Overall I loved Preview Weekend. Definitely made me want to go to Mich even more. I'm worried I made an ass of myself at the Phid house party, but I always worry that when I drink that much and it's always unwarranted afaik. :lol: It's why I don't get hammered so often.
haha, yeah, the phid party was fun, although there are large chunks of time from that night that I just don't remember
I kind of wish I'd known about the theme so I could put something together. :( I couldn't have been as awesome as Gaga, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sukaili

New

Post by sukaili » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:06 pm

thalassocrat wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
I kind of wish I'd known about the theme so I could put something together. :( I couldn't have been as awesome as Gaga, though.
haha, i was just wondering why Lady Gaga hadn't been mentioned yet. Preview was amazing.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:39 pm

nixxers wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
::weeps with joy:: I can't wait to get to a school with half-decent athletic facilities... but what are the CCRB/IMSB/NCRB?
CCRB and NCRB are the Central Campus and North Campus Recreational Buildings. The NCRB is up by the engineering campus, and is a little bit of a drive (or bus ride), though I think it's newer/nicer with possibly later hours. The CCRB is the one of the two in walking distance from the law quad. From my understanding, those have your weight rooms, basketball and volleyball courts, swimming pool, etc. The IMSB is the Intramural Sports Building. It has much of the same stuff, though I think's it's older, and is pretty close to the law quad.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:48 pm

thalassocrat wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
What was the theme? We get a bar night instead of a Phid party; I'm not sure how I feel about that...

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:42 pm

nixxers wrote:Just got the email -- soo excited! I'm staying at the Michigan League, anyone else?

I'm at the Michigan League as well! Really excited!!

BTW Nixxers, did you figure out where in the schedule the breakfast for Darrow recipients fits in?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Jello shots ftw

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:58 pm

ankit wrote:

BTW Nixxers, did you figure out where in the schedule the breakfast for Darrow recipients fits in?
YAY!! haha I have no idea - I was assuming maybe they'd email us or something? maybe we are all at the michigan league so that it can just happen...naturally? haha speculation... I really don't know though! :o

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:28 pm

nixxers wrote:
ankit wrote:

YAY!! haha I have no idea - I was assuming maybe they'd email us or something? maybe we are all at the michigan league so that it can just happen...naturally? haha speculation... I really don't know though! :o
What is Michigan League?

And for the lodges or w/e do I need to schedule that in advance?

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:33 pm

Illijah wrote:
nixxers wrote:
ankit wrote:

What is Michigan League?

And for the lodges or w/e do I need to schedule that in advance?
Michigan League is one of the nearby hotels that is used to house ASW participants at a discounted price :) Don't know what you mean by the lodges, but to get housing, if i remember correctly you had to specify whether you wanted to stay in the discounted hotel rooms when you registered for the ASW.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”