GULC 2010 WL'ers

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
chinagator
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:09 am

GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby chinagator » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:04 pm

So there is evidently 3 types of waitlists:

1. Regular WL
2. Preferred WL
3. "Preferred" Preferred WL

Anyone have any idea about the odds of acceptance are off of these lists?

User avatar
rockthelaw
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby rockthelaw » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:09 pm

chinagator wrote:So there is evidently 3 types of waitlists:

1. Regular WL
2. Preferred WL
3. "Preferred" Preferred WL

Anyone have any idea about the odds of acceptance are off of these lists?


Anyone who is on the "'preferred' preferred waitlist": What did your notification from GULC say?

User avatar
chinagator
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:09 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby chinagator » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:12 pm

"The Committee on Admissions has reviewed your application and has placed your name within a special group on our Preferred Waiting List. Generally, applicants on the Preferred Waiting List are those that we would like very much to include in our first-year class. However, due to an unprecedented volume of highly qualified applicants, the Committee cannot extend as many offers as it wishes. As a result, the Committee has been forced to make some very tough decisions, and your application was especially difficult. The Committee has designated you as part of a small select group within the Preferred Waiting List that will be given priority as spaces open up in the entering class."

User avatar
rockthelaw
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby rockthelaw » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:13 pm

chinagator wrote:"The Committee on Admissions has reviewed your application and has placed your name within a special group on our Preferred Waiting List. Generally, applicants on the Preferred Waiting List are those that we would like very much to include in our first-year class. However, due to an unprecedented volume of highly qualified applicants, the Committee cannot extend as many offers as it wishes. As a result, the Committee has been forced to make some very tough decisions, and your application was especially difficult. The Committee has designated you as part of a small select group within the Preferred Waiting List that will be given priority as spaces open up in the entering class."


Thanks. That makes sense. Makes my preferred waitlist status seem less cool, though :(

Here's hoping it works out for all of us!

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby DanInALionsDen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:14 pm

I just got WL'ed at GULC, on the "preferred" preferred waitlist. I have to say I'm pretty surprised. 3.77 GPA with a 171 LSAT... I don't want to play to my own ego by asking if it's a YP, but...

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:49 pm

Special preferred WL here. Not YP, I'm a splitter...

doopwooper
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby doopwooper » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:57 pm

just regular "preferred" WL here. I have no idea what that means in terms of chances though

Kind of bothers me that they say its "not ranked" but have these specific hierarchical groups they inform you of.

User avatar
klk
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:08 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby klk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:09 pm

Yeah, they could save everyone a lot of grief and just rank it and give you a number... since that's essentially what they're doing anyways.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby existenz » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:33 pm

I'm also in the super-special elite waitlist reserve backup group.

Ultimately I think schools take the people they really want to take, so I'm skeptical of YP talk. My numbers aren't stellar 171/3.6 so I figure they didn't like my softs or something. Curious to see how this plays out though.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:36 pm

I'm actually really bummed I didn't get in, and I'm going to be trying hard to get off of this WL. My GPA sucks, but I have a decent LSAT and good softs. Please love me, GULC. :(

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby beef wellington » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:47 pm

Another splitter in the super special double secret priority preferred waitlist. Told them I'd attend if they let me in.

User avatar
Encyclopedia Brown
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:25 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:05 pm

I'm on the standard preferred waitlist. GULC's one of my top two choices at this point, so I'd reaaally like to get picked off the WL. Visiting next week, following up with what I hope will be a strong LOCI. I'm guessing I won't be hearing anything for a few months, though.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby Flanker1067 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:11 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I'm actually really bummed I didn't get in, and I'm going to be trying hard to get off of this WL. My GPA sucks, but I have a decent LSAT and good softs. Please love me, GULC. :(


Don't give up. It seems like many different kinds of people(and numbers) have been put on the WL this year. Personally, I think they may have mismanaged the increased applicant volume this year and basically cannot extend further acceptances till they recieve more responses. It is still to early to tell how many of those waitlisted will go.

mrm2083
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby mrm2083 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:06 pm

What do the mean by the update my march 22nd thing for the preferred preferred wait list?

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby thickfreakness » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:10 pm

mrm2083 wrote:What do the mean by the update my march 22nd thing for the preferred preferred wait list?



Probably that they'll give you an update on your application by then :wink:

My guess is that you'll get in, get put on the real waitlist, or get dinged (though I doubt they'd ding anyone, probably just WL as a soft rejection).

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby autarkh » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:36 pm

It seems like this preferred preferred waitlist is the equivalent of getting held somewhere else, except they are giving us some feedback that we are competitive. I think it bodes well.

mrm2083
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby mrm2083 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:40 pm

How did people on the preferred preferred do last year? It would just seem that they would let most of us in seeing as how they let in people from preferred and regular and they told us we have priority over those.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby scribelaw » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:40 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:I just got WL'ed at GULC, on the "preferred" preferred waitlist. I have to say I'm pretty surprised. 3.77 GPA with a 171 LSAT... I don't want to play to my own ego by asking if it's a YP, but...


Definite YP. You'll get into NYU and/or Chicago or, at least, Penn.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby thickfreakness » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:42 pm

scribelaw wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:I just got WL'ed at GULC, on the "preferred" preferred waitlist. I have to say I'm pretty surprised. 3.77 GPA with a 171 LSAT... I don't want to play to my own ego by asking if it's a YP, but...


Definite YP. You'll get into NYU and/or Chicago or, at least, Penn.


Negative. Penn'll YP that lol

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby scribelaw » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:50 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:I just got WL'ed at GULC, on the "preferred" preferred waitlist. I have to say I'm pretty surprised. 3.77 GPA with a 171 LSAT... I don't want to play to my own ego by asking if it's a YP, but...


Definite YP. You'll get into NYU and/or Chicago or, at least, Penn.


Negative. Penn'll YP that lol


Probably credited. Sadly.

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby beef wellington » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:35 pm

Allegedly the PPWL was pretty much just YP last cycle. Not sure what to make of all us splitters getting it alongside all you YP folks.

mrm2083
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby mrm2083 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:05 pm

Hopefully it was YP. I'm also a splitter with a 171/3.4 so while my numbers are not a lock they seem to definitely be in acceptance range. I think it may be a YP and a "we will take you if you really want to come list".

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby beef wellington » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:08 pm

Seems like a ton of us have 171s.

ewc227
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:38 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby ewc227 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:24 pm

im also on the "preferred preferred" waitlist. emailed the direct contact- sophia sim, heres what she wrote back

"We have only made a handful of these decisions--around 20--and we try to
be very careful about this special group. However, the committee is
still making decisions, so I imagine that number will increase as we
approach the end of our cycle.

Dean Cornblatt indicated that he hopes to have some update by late March
via e-mail. You are definitely welcome to send any additional materials
although it's not necessary."

hope that helps

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby beef wellington » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:45 pm

ewc227 wrote:im also on the "preferred preferred" waitlist. emailed the direct contact- sophia sim, heres what she wrote back

"We have only made a handful of these decisions--around 20--and we try to
be very careful about this special group. However, the committee is
still making decisions, so I imagine that number will increase as we
approach the end of our cycle.

Dean Cornblatt indicated that he hopes to have some update by late March
via e-mail. You are definitely welcome to send any additional materials
although it's not necessary."

hope that helps

Thanks for sharing. Do you interpret that to mean that they've placed about 20 people within the special group, or that they've already accepted 20 people from the special group?

e: no WL/accepted apps on LSN yet...
ee: now that I read it again, it's pretty clearly the size of the group that she's talking about.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”