William Mitchell 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ILoveClowns8
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:04 pm

William Mitchell 2013

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:25 pm

Didn't see a thread on William Mitchell either, so here one is. Accepted today with 75% scholarship.

Submitted: 10/26
Complete: 11/11
Decision Dated: 12/08

Status checker hasn't been updated since my application went complete.

Edit:
Woops, forgot my stats, sorry about that! They are 159/3.15
Last edited by ILoveClowns8 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gunz353
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby Gunz353 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:26 pm

I just applied...what are your stats?

RuralJuror1
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:17 pm

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby RuralJuror1 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:03 pm

Got big envelope with 75% scholarship, too. Submitted 11/15. 3.3ish, 159.

Anyone visited? Minneapolis is a great city, but I don't know anything about the campus. Also, seems like there'd be a lot of competition for jobs with MN, St. Thomas and Hamline...anyone have a feel for reputation in the MN job market?

User avatar
ILoveClowns8
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:35 pm

The Twin Cities are great, I love them, but have never visited campus. Plan to do so pretty soon here, though. I'm also interested in how WM does compared to Hamline, St. Thomas, and U of M. There has been lengthy discussion elsewhere on these forums, but it was dominated by a certain individual.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby Tanicius » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:41 pm

bhblack wrote:The Twin Cities are great, I love them, but have never visited campus. Plan to do so pretty soon here, though. I'm also interested in how WM does compared to Hamline, St. Thomas, and U of M. There has been lengthy discussion elsewhere on these forums, but it was dominated by a certain individual.


WM has decent job placement because of its huge alumni network. Firms in Minneapolis are full of approximately 50% UMN and 50% WM grads, and the Minnesota Supreme Court is proof that a WM grad can get literally any legal job in Minnesota. The alumni advantages are changing, though. UST is moving up in reputation, and many of the WM alumni are getting old.

User avatar
Dayton
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby Dayton » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:18 pm

RuralJuror1 wrote:Anyone visited? Minneapolis is a great city, but I don't know anything about the campus. Also, seems like there'd be a lot of competition for jobs with MN, St. Thomas and Hamline...anyone have a feel for reputation in the MN job market?


I've visited several times for work and took my second LSAT there as well. Very nice. Fairly new building with new computers and such, decent library, nice neighborhood typical of St. Paul (big old houses, family-oriented, churches, lots of people biking or jogging), lots of street parking in addition to the school.

As far as the reputation and job market I'd agree with Tanicius. I work in prisoner re-entry in Minneapolis so I've met a lot of lawyers, judges, and politicians and they mostly come from WM and UofM tho St. Thomas is coming up as far as public interest is concerned. Haven't heard much about Hamline, not sure if that is good or bad. I will add I get the sense that many of the lawyers/judges here feel like the schools here are churning out too many grads. I was at a policy forum recently where one of the panel members, a politician and UofM grad, commented on their being so many schools and too many grads in the TC. Actually had a few try to talk me out of it :roll:

User avatar
ILoveClowns8
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:36 pm

It sounds like the consensus so far is that the MN legal market is saturated, much like it is in other parts of the country, but U of M and WM grads seem to place well in the MN legal market. Is this an accurate summary of what people are saying so far?

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby Tanicius » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:42 pm

bhblack wrote:It sounds like the consensus so far is that the MN legal market is saturated, much like it is in other parts of the country, but U of M and WM grads seem to place well in the MN legal market. Is this an accurate summary of what people are saying so far?


The U kills. If you graduate from UMN you will have a job in the Twin Cities if you want it. WM is starting to see a lot more competition from peer schools, and on top of that you've got the economy, which for one thing has resulted in a complete hiring freeze for government legal positions like prosecutors and public defenders (WM's niche).

User avatar
ILoveClowns8
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:15 am

Tanicius wrote:
bhblack wrote:It sounds like the consensus so far is that the MN legal market is saturated, much like it is in other parts of the country, but U of M and WM grads seem to place well in the MN legal market. Is this an accurate summary of what people are saying so far?


The U kills. If you graduate from UMN you will have a job in the Twin Cities if you want it. WM is starting to see a lot more competition from peer schools, and on top of that you've got the economy, which for one thing has resulted in a complete hiring freeze for government legal positions like prosecutors and public defenders (WM's niche).

Hmm, that's unfortunate, especially since I'd prefer a government position. With my numbers the U of M is most likely out of reach, I went ahead and chose Illinois as my main reach school instead.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby Tanicius » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:32 am

bhblack wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
bhblack wrote:It sounds like the consensus so far is that the MN legal market is saturated, much like it is in other parts of the country, but U of M and WM grads seem to place well in the MN legal market. Is this an accurate summary of what people are saying so far?


The U kills. If you graduate from UMN you will have a job in the Twin Cities if you want it. WM is starting to see a lot more competition from peer schools, and on top of that you've got the economy, which for one thing has resulted in a complete hiring freeze for government legal positions like prosecutors and public defenders (WM's niche).

Hmm, that's unfortunate, especially since I'd prefer a government position. With my numbers the U of M is most likely out of reach, I went ahead and chose Illinois as my main reach school instead.


I mean, the hiring freeze won't last forever. Whether Pawlenty likes it or not, it's not possible to have a functioning justice system in Minnesota with its current budget.

User avatar
Gunz353
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby Gunz353 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:11 pm

My status checker says Decision letter has been mailed...but down below under Fees, it says $500 seat deposit due April 26! Does that mean I was accepted? Is the status checker inadvertently giving itself away?

User avatar
ILoveClowns8
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:47 pm

Gunz353 wrote:My status checker says Decision letter has been mailed...but down below under Fees, it says $500 seat deposit due April 26! Does that mean I was accepted? Is the status checker inadvertently giving itself away?

Not sure, but I'd say that's a good sign, be optimistic! Good luck =D

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby Slimpee » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:49 pm

Gunz353 wrote:My status checker says Decision letter has been mailed...but down below under Fees, it says $500 seat deposit due April 26! Does that mean I was accepted? Is the status checker inadvertently giving itself away?


That's what mine said the day before I got my envelope. I bet you're in! Congrats!

I received my envelope the other day w/ a very generous scholarship offer. While I am going to wait on other schools before making a decision, graduating with as little tuition debt as I would at Mitchell definitely makes it attractive...

Plus, I live in Minneapolis and love it!

The Mitchell campus is very nice. The facilities are much nicer than the U of MN, for example, and as nice as St. Thomas and the school is located on a great street.

I would say that Mitchell has great lay prestige in the twin cities, enough that when I tell people I got a great scholarship they think i'm crazy to look elsewhere. Amongst lawyers in town Mitchell is probably second to the U of MN but St. Thomas is catching up.

I'm sure i'll hit up a few Admitted Students events so hopefully i'll see a few of you around!

User avatar
Gunz353
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby Gunz353 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:42 pm

Accepted today with a 45% tuition scholarship for all 3 years!! Can't believe it!

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby Slimpee » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Gunz353 wrote:Accepted today with a 45% tuition scholarship for all 3 years!! Can't believe it!


Congrats! Will you be headed there, then?

User avatar
Gunz353
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby Gunz353 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:15 pm

Not sure yet. It was only my first acceptance of the cycle, so I need to wait and see how things end up. I'm from NY and have never been to the Twin Cities, so I need to get out there and take a look around. My friend goes to Hamline Law, and she loves the area.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby Slimpee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:48 am

So I saw something about the William Mitchell Fellows program online. Looks interesting.

Know anything about it? It looks like you have to be nominated...

User avatar
Princess_T
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:50 pm

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby Princess_T » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:12 pm

In with 90% scholarship, yay! Complete 12/28. First school to hear back from so don't know if I'll be going yet or not.

User avatar
Gunz353
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby Gunz353 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:44 pm

Visiting the Twin Cities from NYC right now. Went on a tour of William Mitchell today with Assistant Director of Admissions, Joe Walsh. Super nice guy, gave me a great tour! Really like the school, and the beautiful neighborhood around it, even in this cold wintery weather! Definitely a top choice for me now with the 45% tuition scholly.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby Slimpee » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:49 pm

Gunz353 wrote:Visiting the Twin Cities from NYC right now. Went on a tour of William Mitchell today with Assistant Director of Admissions, Joe Walsh. Super nice guy, gave me a great tour! Really like the school, and the beautiful neighborhood around it, even in this cold wintery weather! Definitely a top choice for me now with the 45% tuition scholly.


How do you like our city?

I'm visiting sometime in Feb...

User avatar
Gunz353
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby Gunz353 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:56 pm

It's awesome so far! I'm staying with a friend who goes to Hamline. She lives in St. Paul right near the HUGE cathedral, (which I'm obsessed with cause I was an architecture major back in the day) and I love the beautiful homes along Summit. I hit up Grand Ave. today. Had lunch at D'Amico & Sons, dinner at Axel's Bonfire. Impressed with both and the array of selections. The cold didn't bother me too much, but I definitely should have worn gloves and a hoodie when I was wandering outside today! I'm checking out downtown Minneapolis and hitting up the nightlife tomorrow night. It's not as crazy and bustling as NYC, but that's a good thing in its own way. It's definitely different, but I like it.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby Slimpee » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:39 am

Gunz353 wrote:It's awesome so far! I'm staying with a friend who goes to Hamline. She lives in St. Paul right near the HUGE cathedral, (which I'm obsessed with cause I was an architecture major back in the day) and I love the beautiful homes along Summit. I hit up Grand Ave. today. Had lunch at D'Amico & Sons, dinner at Axel's Bonfire. Impressed with both and the array of selections. The cold didn't bother me too much, but I definitely should have worn gloves and a hoodie when I was wandering outside today! I'm checking out downtown Minneapolis and hitting up the nightlife tomorrow night. It's not as crazy and bustling as NYC, but that's a good thing in its own way. It's definitely different, but I like it.


Word. I'll probably be out in DT tomorrow night so you may run into me...

St. Paul, especially around WM is pretty sweet. The "nightlife" isn't like Minneapolis but it's just a few blocks from the school. If you get a bike (and you should) it's on a few miles to the river, which is a gorgeous ride.

Have fun and I may see you at WM next year!

knln18
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby knln18 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:48 pm

i read about the fellows program too. you need to be nominated to be in program. the director of the program is professor gregory duhl.
Last edited by knln18 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knln18
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby knln18 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:49 pm

Slimpee wrote:So I saw something about the William Mitchell Fellows program online. Looks interesting.

Know anything about it? It looks like you have to be nominated...


i read about the fellows program too. you need to be nominated to be in program. the director of the program is professor gregory duhl.

cuzco2000
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:16 pm

Re: William Mitchell 2013

Postby cuzco2000 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:32 pm

Has anyone been accepted to the program?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: genjustice, Lmorina126, mm2368, TudoBem and 12 guests