BYU 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eattrucks

New

Re: BYU 2010

Post by eattrucks » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:10 pm

I think they're just waiting on some withdrawals to open up your seat.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:15 pm

how's the drive from orem to the school? seems like there are a lot of rentals in orem..

yeast master

New

Post by yeast master » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:31 pm

erico wrote:how's the drive from orem to the school? seems like there are a lot of rentals in orem..
I drove from Orem throughout undergrad. It's not bad. From North Orem it was something like 15 - 20 min. Parking around campus isn't great, though I can't remember what it's like over on the East side of campus around the law school. I don't know if there's street parking available or if there are student lots over there.

The Orem rental homes do look pretty good for the price. I was surprised to see what you can get for less than $1000.

I'll probably be living in North Orem again. I'm flirting with the idea of taking the bus, depending on the parking situation. I hate paying for parking. Plus, it would make commute time potentially productive.

tyjole

New

Post by tyjole » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:41 am

I don't know what it's like for sure, but as a law student you'll be able to park in the graduate student lots, and there is a big one just east of the law school. I'm guessing most law students ride bus(since a stop is right in front of it) or park in that lot.

eattrucks

New

Post by eattrucks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:05 am

I grew up in Orem, and it is plenty close to BYU. It is really easy to take the bus, especially if you live near University Parkway as most buses run along there. Also the parking for law students is much better than for undergrads or other grad students (other than MBAs). There is a graduate lot with plenty of spaces just east of the JRCB (it is never full).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justcap

New

Post by justcap » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:50 am

Padimud wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:Has anybody heard anything further on the dinner with a professor thing?
I had my dinner with a professor about 10 days ago. Don't know if they are still doing this.
What would you suggest for the dress at the dinner? Was it just casual? Or street clothes?

davipatr

New

Post by davipatr » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:48 am

eattrucks wrote:I think they're just waiting on some withdrawals to open up your seat.
I hope this was to me, and I hope you are right. My status just updated to "decision rendered" I'm hoping that's BYU lingo, because the school that has accepted me it says, "decision. congratulations! you've been accepted" It just updated yesterday so I'll obviously be watching my phone for one of these wonderful interviews, hopefully not in vain.
I recently attended a class up there, and spent some time talking with Director Kuchar afterwards, hopefully the timing of my decision was more along the lines of "Hmmmm what a nice young man, we need to bring him here" and less along the lines of "let's hurry up and deny this kid so he leaves us alone!"

phenomenon

New

Post by phenomenon » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:04 am

davipatr wrote:
eattrucks wrote:I think they're just waiting on some withdrawals to open up your seat.
I hope this was to me, and I hope you are right. My status just updated to "decision rendered" I'm hoping that's BYU lingo, because the school that has accepted me it says, "decision. congratulations! you've been accepted" It just updated yesterday so I'll obviously be watching my phone for one of these wonderful interviews, hopefully not in vain.
I recently attended a class up there, and spent some time talking with Director Kuchar afterwards, hopefully the timing of my decision was more along the lines of "Hmmmm what a nice young man, we need to bring him here" and less along the lines of "let's hurry up and deny this kid so he leaves us alone!"
I got a "decision rendered" on my status yesterday too. And it looks like a couple over at LSN also got the "decision rendered" change yesterday as well. But originally my status said "waitlisted" when I checked it then I left the site and came back 30 minutes later and checked it again and then it said "decision rendered" and that a decision letter was sent on 3/25. So I'm wondering if I'm waitlisted or even possibly rejected now that the status says decision rendered.

Zoomba200

New

Post by Zoomba200 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:20 am

I actually called the admissions office yesterday becuase I was tired of waiting for a response and asked if they could at least give a timeline that I could expect to hear from them. The admissions lady I spoke with said they sent out a LARGE batch of letters (waitlist and rejection) yesterday and if I did not recieve a letter that I should just continue to wait.

A letter would at least signal some sort of movement on the BYU front. I have not heard a thing since I went complete in November...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

loquist

New

Post by loquist » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:04 pm

phenomenon wrote:
davipatr wrote:
I got a "decision rendered" on my status yesterday too. And it looks like a couple over at LSN also got the "decision rendered" change yesterday as well. But originally my status said "waitlisted" when I checked it then I left the site and came back 30 minutes later and checked it again and then it said "decision rendered" and that a decision letter was sent on 3/25. So I'm wondering if I'm waitlisted or even possibly rejected now that the status says decision rendered.
I was looking through last year's BYU thread and it seems that those whose current status reads "under review" and decision status reads "decision rendered" were put on the wait list. When their current status was changed to "decision rendered" later on they were dropped from the wait list.

My current status changed yesterday and from the above information (assuming they are maintaining the same practice as last year) I have been put on the wait list.

I guess I will have to wait for the letter to hit my mailbox before I can be certain.

Jetsetter

New

Post by Jetsetter » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Does anyone know how BYU does it's waitlist? Are waitlisters ranked?

eattrucks

New

Post by eattrucks » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:43 pm

If you guys pray for me to get into Harvard, I'll give up my seat at BYU.

loquist

New

Post by loquist » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:05 pm

eattrucks wrote:If you guys pray for me to get into Harvard, I'll give up my seat at BYU.
So all we have to do is pray for you to get into Harvard? There is no clause based on your acceptance to the school?

Deal! :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

davipatr

New

Post by davipatr » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:18 pm

Jetsetter wrote:Does anyone know how BYU does it's waitlist? Are waitlisters ranked?
No. I do not think they are. This does not make me happy, but apparently the waitlist is enormous, twice the size of the admitted class. I don't know how many they typically admit after waitlisting but after attending deans night at UVU and listening to the deans (hernandez among them) talk about the wait list, it didn't sound good.
Crap!

phenomenon

New

Post by phenomenon » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:00 pm

loquist wrote:
phenomenon wrote:
davipatr wrote:
I was looking through last year's BYU thread and it seems that those whose current status reads "under review" and decision status reads "decision rendered" were put on the wait list. When their current status was changed to "decision rendered" later on they were dropped from the wait list.

My current status changed yesterday and from the above information (assuming they are maintaining the same practice as last year) I have been put on the wait list.

I guess I will have to wait for the letter to hit my mailbox before I can be certain.
Oh, ok. Mine says current status "under review" and decision status "decision rendered." So most likely when I saw the waitlisted earlier in the day, it was displaying reality.

loquist

New

Post by loquist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:56 pm

Apparently they do follow the same protocol as last year. I received my letter today and I've been placed on the waitlist.

I guess I get to play the waiting game longer than I had hoped before I know where I am going.

austrascruff

New

Post by austrascruff » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:55 pm

Started a new waitlist thread. I noticed last year's was pretty active:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=112648

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:04 pm

yeast master wrote:
erico wrote:how's the drive from orem to the school? seems like there are a lot of rentals in orem..
I drove from Orem throughout undergrad. It's not bad. From North Orem it was something like 15 - 20 min. Parking around campus isn't great, though I can't remember what it's like over on the East side of campus around the law school. I don't know if there's street parking available or if there are student lots over there.

The Orem rental homes do look pretty good for the price. I was surprised to see what you can get for less than $1000.

I'll probably be living in North Orem again. I'm flirting with the idea of taking the bus, depending on the parking situation. I hate paying for parking. Plus, it would make commute time potentially productive.
when do you guys plan on signing leases etc.? i'm making a trip out there in two weeks and i'm not sure if i should try and lock a place down that weekend or just wait a few months.

justcap

New

Post by justcap » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Well I've decided to attend BYU, though I haven't yet paid the tuition deposit. It's been a fun cycle, but a relief now that I've made a decision!

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:26 pm

justcap wrote:Well I've decided to attend BYU, though I haven't yet paid the tuition deposit. It's been a fun cycle, but a relief now that I've made a decision!
put my deposit in the mail today.

yeast master

New

Post by yeast master » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:27 pm

I paid the deposit today, too.

As far as looking for rentals, it seems like it's a bit early. I would guess June would be a good time to be looking for single family rentals for August move-in. With apartment complexes, you might be able to get something this early, though.

We're actually going to be in my parents' basement to start. Then we'll decide if we can handle it there or if it will be worth it to rent our own place.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

davipatr

New

Post by davipatr » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:47 pm

Don't take this the wrong way, but I hate all of you. This totally changes by the way if I am ultimately admitted after being waitlisted. Then I love you all, but until then, I hate your stinking guts!

cathysc

New

Post by cathysc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:15 pm

I'm in today via email :)

cle07007

New

Post by cle07007 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:40 am

I attended the admitted students day on March 29th. I arrived a little late, but it ended up being a good thing. I was seated at a table with one of the main registrars, a 3L graduating student, as well as the longest tenured professor on campus - Professor David Thomas (he consequently is retiring in fall 2010). The facilities are neat and tidy, but nothing to write home to mom about. I am not attending the school because of the facilities (although the bathrooms do have a sweet tile pattern of light blue and white which is to die for!). All jest aside, I am attending because that is what is right for my family. Although, I am also excited to spend the next three years having laughs about the decor of the bathrooms. Being in the building and meeting the faculty just felt RIGHT. Let me not also forget that 3 years tuition for me at BYU will equal 20k less than 1 year tuition at George Washington (my other top choice). In sum, today I paid my seat deposit and look forward to meeting the rest of you (whom I may or may not have seen on the 29th).

NOW----

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I wanted to give the waitlisted folks a real evaluation. Professor Thomas said that of all law schools nationwide, BYU has the highest statistics regarding accepted students who in turn matriculate to form the entering class. Straight from their mouths, "We make around 200 offers for admission in order to form the incoming class of about 150 students."

Is there still hope for the waitlisted bunch? You can draw your own conclusions. All I am saying is that it would behoove you to be considering other schools very seriously.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:00 pm

cle07007 wrote:I attended the admitted students day on March 29th. I arrived a little late, but it ended up being a good thing. I was seated at a table with one of the main registrars, a 3L graduating student, as well as the longest tenured professor on campus - Professor David Thomas (he consequently is retiring in fall 2010). The facilities are neat and tidy, but nothing to write home to mom about. I am not attending the school because of the facilities (although the bathrooms do have a sweet tile pattern of light blue and white which is to die for!). All jest aside, I am attending because that is what is right for my family. Although, I am also excited to spend the next three years having laughs about the decor of the bathrooms. Being in the building and meeting the faculty just felt RIGHT. Let me not also forget that 3 years tuition for me at BYU will equal 20k less than 1 year tuition at George Washington (my other top choice). In sum, today I paid my seat deposit and look forward to meeting the rest of you (whom I may or may not have seen on the 29th).

NOW----

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I wanted to give the waitlisted folks a real evaluation. Professor Thomas said that of all law schools nationwide, BYU has the highest statistics regarding accepted students who in turn matriculate to form the entering class. Straight from their mouths, "We make around 200 offers for admission in order to form the incoming class of about 150 students."

Is there still hope for the waitlisted bunch? You can draw your own conclusions. All I am saying is that it would behoove you to be considering other schools very seriously.
thanks for the review, i'll look out for the tiles! i think it'd be cool to arrange a tls rendezvous during orientation. i did this during the usd asd and it ended up being pretty cool.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”