In at Stanford! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crackberry

Gold

Re: In at Stanford!

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:59 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:Another question for those familiar with the area: what shuttle service do you recommend? (Preferably one that doesn't charge more than $26.)
SuperShuttle is $25 (incl. tip) from SFO or SJC I believe. It's $40-$50 from Oakland.

If you're flying into SFO, you don't need a reservation. SJC and OAK require SuperShuttle reservations.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:03 pm

crackberry wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:Another question for those familiar with the area: what shuttle service do you recommend? (Preferably one that doesn't charge more than $26.)
SuperShuttle is $25 (incl. tip) from SFO or SJC I believe. It's $40-$50 from Oakland.

If you're flying into SFO, you don't need a reservation. SJC and OAK require SuperShuttle reservations.
As far as SJC, you can also not make a reservation and catch a (likely) non-SuperShuttle shared-ride van for (I think) $28 last time I used 'em.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:10 pm

crackberry wrote:

Thanks dude.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:12 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Thanks dude.
Yes, you will need a reservation from Stanford-->any airport. The only time you wouldn't need a rez is SFO-Stanford (there is a SuperShuttle stand outside baggage claim with vans waiting). You can make one anyway if you want, but you don't have to.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:21 pm

crackberry wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Thanks dude.
Yes, you will need a reservation from Stanford-->any airport. The only time you wouldn't need a rez is SFO-Stanford (there is a SuperShuttle stand outside baggage claim with vans waiting). You can make one anyway if you want, but you don't have to.
Thanks, that's very helpful. I am arriving one day early to visit a friend, and so explaining to SuperShuttle why I need a reservation from the airport the day after my flight might have proved burdensome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:23 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:Thanks, that's very helpful. I am arriving one day early to visit a friend, and so explaining to SuperShuttle why I need a reservation from the airport the day after my flight might have proved burdensome.
Haha wait. You're going to visit your friend and then get to the airport only to take a shuttle to Stanford? Where does the friend live? There might be an easier way.

anmo

New

Post by anmo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:25 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote: Thanks, that's very helpful. I am arriving one day early to visit a friend, and so explaining to SuperShuttle why I need a reservation from the airport the day after my flight might have proved burdensome.
Same here. Flying into SFO Thursday and was hoping to take the shuttle on Friday morning. I think I might actually take Caltrain down though, it's just a mile or so from my hotel and would be a bit cheaper. Any reviews of Caltrain?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:28 pm

anmo wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote: Thanks, that's very helpful. I am arriving one day early to visit a friend, and so explaining to SuperShuttle why I need a reservation from the airport the day after my flight might have proved burdensome.
Same here. Flying into SFO Thursday and was hoping to take the shuttle on Friday morning. I think I might actually take Caltrain down though, it's just a mile or so from my hotel and would be a bit cheaper. Any reviews of Caltrain?
CalTrain from SF-Stanford will cost you $6 each way. It's clean, easy and takes approx 45 minutes to an hour. It drops you off right next to the downtown Palo Alto hotels from which Stanford is running the free shuttles. It departs SF very often on weekday mornings and there are express trains that take only 30 minutes. There are two Caltrain stops in SF. One at 4th and King (near AT&T Park) and one at 22nd and Pennsylvania (in Potrero Hill).

http://www.caltrain.com/schedule.html

anmo

New

Post by anmo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:42 pm

crackberry wrote:
anmo wrote:
CalTrain from SF-Stanford will cost you $6 each way. It's clean, easy and takes approx 45 minutes to an hour. It drops you off right next to the downtown Palo Alto hotels from which Stanford is running the free shuttles. It departs SF very often on weekday mornings and there are express trains that take only 30 minutes. There are two Caltrain stops in SF. One at 4th and King (near AT&T Park) and one at 22nd and Pennsylvania (in Potrero Hill).

http://www.caltrain.com/schedule.html
very brochuresque... nice

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:49 pm

anmo wrote:very brochuresque... nice
Haha, you're welcome. I don't take Caltrain that much because it costs $12 round trip ($6 each way) and that's not any less than what gas costs to drive the 70 or so miles round trip from San Francisco, but it is pretty easy, and it's definitely a better option than taking BART to the airport and then a shuttle to campus.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:50 pm

crackberry wrote:
Haha, you're welcome. I don't take Caltrain that much because it costs $12 round trip ($6 each way) and that's not any less than what gas costs to drive the 70 or so miles round trip from San Francisco, but it is pretty easy, and it's definitely a better option than taking BART to the airport and then a shuttle to campus.
I like the Caltrain personally.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Well yes, so do I, but it's not really that cheap. No cheaper than driving (though I suppose then you have to worry about parking at Stanford, which is not free unless you know the secret spots). It also doesn't run that late so students can't go up to SF to go out and then plan to take CalTrain home. It stops at midnight.

You can openly drink on Caltrain though. That's pretty cool.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:54 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Well yes, so do I, but it's not really that cheap. No cheaper than driving (though I suppose then you have to worry about parking at Stanford, which is not free unless you know the secret spots). It also doesn't run that late so students can't go up to SF to go out and then plan to take CalTrain home. It stops at midnight.

You can openly drink on Caltrain though. That's pretty cool.
Yeah plus there are TABLES next to your seats.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:57 pm

Kronk wrote:Yeah plus there are TABLES next to your seats.
Only in some cars.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:00 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:Yeah plus there are TABLES next to your seats.
Only in some cars.
I've only been on it like four times.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:53 pm

crackberry wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:Thanks, that's very helpful. I am arriving one day early to visit a friend, and so explaining to SuperShuttle why I need a reservation from the airport the day after my flight might have proved burdensome.
Haha wait. You're going to visit your friend and then get to the airport only to take a shuttle to Stanford? Where does the friend live? There might be an easier way.
Ya! Ever heard of anyone doing that? He lives in an awkward part of SF; getting from his house to Stanford via Caltrain would require some messy Jujitsu. Heading back to SFO via BART and grabbing a shuttle to Stanford would be quicker and simpler. And since we are reimbursed up to $26 each way, I'd be paying only a few bucks.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:00 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Ya! Ever heard of anyone doing that? He lives in an awkward part of SF; getting from his house to Stanford via Caltrain would require some messy Jujitsu. Heading back to SFO via BART and grabbing a shuttle to Stanford would be quicker and simpler. And since we are reimbursed up to $26 each way, I'd be paying only a few bucks.
Hmm alright, fair enough. I'm trying to imagine what "an awkward part of SF" is, given that it's close to BART but not CalTrain. Daly City or something? Anyway, whatever floats your boat WhiskeyMan.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

coollegemex

Bronze

Post by coollegemex » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:50 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Renaixença wrote:
coollegemex wrote:I can't log into the admitted site anymore...it doesn't even recognize my name or email address. Dean Faye realized her mistake lol
]
Yeah, I'm not going to quote that to dignify it, but mods?

Seriously, dude, GTFO.

Did that guy say something crazy about me? haha... I appreciate the drama even if I didn't get to catch it. Oh, and they had to "refresh" the site for me if anybody else runs into that problem in the future.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:08 am

coollegemex wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Renaixença wrote:
coollegemex wrote:I can't log into the admitted site anymore...it doesn't even recognize my name or email address. Dean Faye realized her mistake lol
]

Seriously, dude, GTFO.

Did that guy say something crazy about me? haha... I appreciate the drama even if I didn't get to catch it. Oh, and they had to "refresh" the site for me if anybody else runs into that problem in the future.
I didn't see him post anything here, so I'm a bit confused. Kretzy's a pretty relaxed guy, so to hear him say GTFO means that it was pretty bad.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:10 am

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Why not take the BART to Millbrae, and then take the Caltrain to Palo Alto? The shuttle will likely make multiple stops on the way from SFO, unless the van is filled with Stanford-bound people.

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:27 am

Couple of notes to add:

For those considering Caltrain, Stanford's Marguerite shuttle meets almost every train. Line B comes quite close to the law school, and Line A is within shouting distance. The buses are on the southbound side of the tracks. It's about as easy as it can get.

You'll only have to worry about parking on Friday (visitor parking is $12 max per day) and Monday. Parking on Saturday and Sunday is free. The easiest place (by far) to park is in the parking garage below Wilbur Field, on Campus Drive. Visitor parking is on the top level of the garage.

And yes, Stanford is so awesome that the garage is underground and a perfect sports field is preserved on top. None of this four-story parking eyesore crap for us.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Laina

Bronze

Post by Laina » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:30 am

coollegemex wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Renaixença wrote:
]

Seriously, dude, GTFO.

No, it wasn't about you (or any other applicant).

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:33 am

ndnlawdc wrote: And yes, Stanford is so awesome that the garage is underground and a perfect sports field is preserved on top. None of this four-story parking eyesore crap for us.
My friend broke his ankle on that field last semester while our chapter of TBP was playing Stanford's chapter in our "Little Big Game." Bad news bears.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:27 am

ndnlawdc wrote:Parking on Saturday and Sunday is free.
To be fair, some spots on campus are 24/7.

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:30 am

crackberry wrote:
ndnlawdc wrote:Parking on Saturday and Sunday is free.
To be fair, some spots on campus are 24/7.
I guess that's true -- don't park in my EV parking lot. :) But most are 6-4, M-F. Everyone should just read the signs -- and in the garage nearly all are free.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”