In at NYU!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
clintonius

Silver

Re: In at NYU!!

Post by clintonius » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:00 pm

Series70 wrote:
clintonius wrote:Not the R train! ANYTHING but the R train! ACK.

Truly though, it's one of the older lines in the system, which means the trains are dated, and it runs local. But swapping to the N train is easy and will drop you off right at NYU on 8th street. If I attend, that's how I plan to make my way in from my apartment in Bay Ridge.
I've found the D even faster (and the West 4th St station is closer to the law school). Usually, I just get off the R at 36th and take whichever comes first, N or D. But yeah, there's no reason to ride the R all the way from Bay Ridge into Manhattan, unless you're getting off below Canal/Grand.
It's closer to the law school? That's good to know! Currently I take the R from Bay Ridge into the Financial District, which is almost exactly 30 minutes on the train. Not fun, do not recommend.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:05 pm

monkeygirl wrote:
clintonius wrote:Not the R train! ANYTHING but the R train! ACK.

Truly though, it's one of the older lines in the system, which means the trains are dated, and it runs local. But swapping to the N train is easy and will drop you off right at NYU on 8th street. If I attend, that's how I plan to make my way in from my apartment in Bay Ridge.
Hmmmm...would you take the R over the G?? It's kind of like deciding which circle of purgatory you want to live in.

I live on the C, which is going away (if you believe the MTA hype), but my rent is ridiculously cheap so I'm not moving!
Chances are that the A will take over and I can take that to West 4th St, a block or two from campus. Actually, would the Spring St. station might be closer to the law school/Furman Hall?
Nope, West 4th St. is a lot closer. One building is right on the park, about a block and a half's walk from the W. 4th St. station at most, and the other building is right around the corner on Sullivan St., within spitting distance of the first.

Moba

New

Post by Moba » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:35 pm

Does anybody know when does NYU generally announce merit/need based awards?

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:04 pm

So, I wasn't able to get my applications in until mid-late January. NYU has a clause in their instructions that states, "Applicants who wish to be considered for any of the School of Law's Scholarship and/or Academic Scholars programs should complete their applications by January 1 and have a complete law school report ready to be requested by our office no later than January 1."

-- My question to you all, how strict do you think they go by this? Does anyone know of an applicant that submitted after Jan 1 but received scholarship monies? This cycle or past. Thanks!

The "should" leads me to believe this is not an absolute rule, but it would be hard to receive anything if submitting after Jan 1. Thoughts?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Hey, does anyone know what we can expect during the AnBryce interviews?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:19 pm

Anyone else in the DC area here? We should put together some sort of meet up. I know some admitted UVA students have been doing this for a while.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:24 pm

democrattotheend wrote:Anyone else in the DC area here? We should put together some sort of meet up. I know some admitted UVA students have been doing this for a while.
I am in the DC area. I'd be down for a happy hour, if there are enough of us on here that want to come out.

nattybro

Bronze

Post by nattybro » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:28 pm

Bmore here

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:04 pm

CG614 wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:Anyone else in the DC area here? We should put together some sort of meet up. I know some admitted UVA students have been doing this for a while.
I am in the DC area. I'd be down for a happy hour, if there are enough of us on here that want to come out.
I'm in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:41 pm

today, I embarked on my plan to visit NYU because I can't go during the admit days. I awoke at 5:40am and took a 7am train to get to NYC and have time to visit the school in time to visit a class. I trekked through the snow and the blizzard, my feet got wet, it was cold, and I thought the wind would blow me away, but eventually I made it to Furman Hall, feeling pretty proud of myself. And then the security guard who met me at the door told me the whole campus was shut down because of the snow.

fail.

:evil:

I can still go on monday, but good lord.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:47 pm

Where did you come in from? and do you not check weather reports?

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:58 pm

clintonius wrote:Where did you come in from? and do you not check weather reports?
lol. fair. mid-atlantic area... I check weather reports, but what can i say- im from the midwest originally, and I often forget that not everywhere is as sturdy/good at snow as we are. Plus I have other plans in the city for the weekend so i was coming one way or another.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:21 pm

Fair enough -- I still mock these cities for shutting down in a dusting like this, too, so I understand completely. Let us know what you think of the place Monday!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:31 pm

Will do!! :)

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:34 pm

nixxers wrote:Will do!! :)
see if you can come to my admin class 2-4 Professor Rascoff, just know he cold calls on all guests who come into class (but you'll do fine)

misslawyer2013

New

Post by misslawyer2013 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:35 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Hey, does anyone know what we can expect during the AnBryce interviews?
+1

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:49 pm

badfish wrote:
see if you can come to my admin class 2-4 Professor Rascoff, just know he cold calls on all guests who come into class (but you'll do fine)
hey, I might actually be able to! I'll PM if it seems like it's in the works ;) do you like the class? I hear the word admin and immediately feel terrified/bored at the same time, but that's based on pure speculation since I don't know anything about what that class would actually entail...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:06 pm

badfish wrote:
I've heard horror stories about admin. This is a good one for visitors, though?

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:08 pm

clintonius wrote:
badfish wrote:
I've heard horror stories about admin. This is a good one for visitors, though?
Rascoff is the man and he makes admin (usually a boring course) a ton of fun. He's also been noted to be on a short list of lawyers under 40 who might have a realistic shot at SCOTUS. You should definitely come into the class, but remember ... he will call on you.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:11 pm

Badfish--are you involved / know anything about the clinics at NYU? If so, can I PM you?

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:13 pm

Kronk wrote:Badfish--are you involved / know anything about the clinics at NYU? If so, can I PM you?
I am still a 1L so I haven't gotten involved in any clinics yet but we just got an email detailing the upcoming clinics for 2010 - 2011. If you want I can forward it to you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

terp200

New

Post by terp200 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:33 pm

In at NYU, but will be withdrawing. Applied 1/19. Never got a complete email. Good luck everyone still waiting, a spot will be opening up for you!

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:32 pm

Does anyone have an idea when non-named scholarships are announced? the earliest I saw on LSN was 3/25 but a full month after their application deadline seems long.

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:37 pm

puppleberry finn wrote:Does anyone have an idea when non-named scholarships are announced? the earliest I saw on LSN was 3/25 but a full month after their application deadline seems long.
I called last week and they said mid to late march so looks like it'll be the same as last year

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:37 pm

badfish wrote:
Is this serious?? Wtf does he ask visitors?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”