Northeastern 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
oberlin08

Bronze

Re: Northeastern 2010

Post by oberlin08 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:46 pm

linquest wrote:
champ33 wrote: Because of the economy or whatever reason the school wasn't able to connect him successfully to any jobs related to his field (architecture) during one of the co-op terms, and he ended up working in a pizza place for 6 months (he received co-op credit for this). Are there any Northeastern Law students on here? Or anybody with information regarding this possible disaster? Could this happen to me if I attend, or do they guarantee you placement?
NUSL grad here. You are guaranteed a placement since it's a requirement for your co-op that you do actual legal work, supervised by an attorney. You might not get the specialty or type of employer that you want, but you WILL be doing legal work. Most students do end up with unpaid first co-ops, usually because they're clerking for a judge or working for a non-profit instead of a firm. I was lucky that my first co-op was paid and I only had to take one unpaid which was still a great experience.

Out of curiosity, where did you end up working?

BiteyTLS

New

Post by BiteyTLS » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:13 am

A pretty informative guy named unemployednusl posts on JDU about his experiences at Northeastern.

Here are some posts:
My co-ops were at:

- an understaffed state agency that did really uninteresting work, had all of two attorneys on staff, and weren't looking to hire more

- a federal judge who told me on the first fucking day of work that he would never, ever hire a NUSL grad for a clerkship b/c we were intellectually inferior, and that I was there to answer phones, get the mail, and drive him around town

- a major corporation that merged with a more major corporation (think Fortune 25). The GC of the former (also a NUSL grad who spent his entire career at said company) wanted to hire me (at very good $$$ for basically a 9-5 workweek), but the more major corporation just couldn't give a shit, and stonewalled him from hiring me. He has since passed away.

- one of the oldest law firms in the United States, founded in 1819. Dissolved in 2008.

So, I graduated with no options, no possible mentors, and am fucked. NUSL likes to claim that "most" students get hired by co-ops, but it simply is not true. In ONE year - 2006, at the height of the boom - about 38% got hired by co-ops, but that included the fortunate 20% who had SA positions. So, really, in the very best of times, about 20% of the class got a co-op offer. Which works out to 1 out of 5 students. Or 1 out of 20 co-ops. Pretty long odds. The vast majority of the co-ops out there are small law firms looking for cheap/free clerical/paralegal work, and many are looking to find gullible kids whom they can trick into violating their Westlaw/Lexis terms of agreement by using them for commercial purposes.

Maybe I should apply to some of the fucking gems on NUSL's job board. I can work for Pangea3 in Mumbai, at the Law Offices of Attorney Robert Humphrey in fast-paced Tiverton, RI (you can call his cell phone 24/7!), or the stenographer salesperson in Quincy. Perhaps the two year unfunded internship in... Liberia. So many options to choose from...
I am the Northeastern School of Law (NUSL) poster in question. Usually vent my frustrations on other websites, but recently joined jdunderground. Here are my thoughts on Dean Spieler's remarks.

I am not surprised at all. It is in the school's self-interest to provide the most positive spin on their $200,000 product. With the debate of UMASS taking over Southern New England School of Law, there has been a lot of condemnation of Northeastern, as well as Suffolk and New England School of Law, for providing a third-rate legal education and career prospects at an Ivy-league cost.

Spieler's comments also do not surprise me because she and the admin unfortunately fall into that minority of liberals who are completely intolerant to views divergent to their own (I say this as a liberal myself). I say this to elucidate the rationale why, if they could, they would force every single student to work in the public interest. They have absolutely no interest in expanding their ties with law firms of any size, business, or anything remotely capitalist in nature or design. The alumni job page is almost exclusively public interest jobs, many of which are prestigious fellowships, federal government positions, or ACLU/Southern Poverty Center positions that NUSL grads have little hope of obtaining. Even though the vast majority of grads take the MA bar, very few jobs, public interest or not, are in MA. Numerous tenured professors expressed disdain at students' desires of working in law firms large or small, in some cases labelling them as sellouts or even (horrors!) "conservative." In fact, the legal writing program is tied into a program where 1L's are forced to perform free legal work for public interest organizations. EVERY SINGLE ORGANIZATION IS EXTREMELY LIBERAL. I do not think they have ever reached out to an organization with nonliberal beliefs/leadership to join the program. Students do not get to choose what org they perform work for, meaning that a good number of students are forced to perform free legal work for organizations whose beliefs are opposite or repugnant to their own. So, if you are conservative or moderate in your political views, you will explicitly feel unwelcome and unvalidated at Northeastern. I would almost go so far as to say that the administration views itself as ecclesiastical - that they feel that it is a "mission" to create public interest attorneys, adnd this belief is so overwhelming that any students who choose other paths are viewed as blasphemous Judases. Which is an issue for the 85% of the school that ultimately does not go into public interest (according to the school's employment surveys),

I also cannot help but notice that the school hasn't updated their salary and employment data in close to a year and a half. I wonder why... Of course, the most recent employment info (no longer available on their website) claimed that my class (2007) had a median $87,500 salary, despite the fact that about 18% of the class got biglaw, a huge number had (state) clerkships, the few midlaw folk started at $60-75k, and many went into shitlaw, bartending, or other nonlegal jobs. But this is no different than any other law school outside of the top 14. What is different is that Northeastern is one of the very few law schools in the first two tiers that refuses to provide % employed at graduation numbers. According to USNWR, if that info is not provided, the magazine takes the 9 months post-grad %, subtracts 35, and uses that number in their calculations. What this means is that employment at graduation is pretty low (below 60%, by my calculations), despite the school's insistent claims that "many" students gain employment from one of their co-op employers (a laughable notion). The co-op program is a giant fraud, but that is really the subject of a separate conversation, so I will refrain.

The school fancies itself living in some bubble or coccoon, separate and apart from the trials and turmoils of other law schools. Instead of grades, we receive written evaluations. These evaluations can be as short as one sentence, or can run for pages. However, there is an unwritten rule that every evaluation must state somewhere that the student was "outstanding," "excellent," "very good," "good," "fair," or "poor." These roughly correlate to A+, A, B+, B / B-, C/C-, and D (it depends on the prof, really). Every employer in Massachusetts is aware of this, and so the evaluations are quickly stripped into a de facto set of grades. This is especially true when most of your professors simply write "This was a _____ exam." For Boston biglaw, one must essentially hit all outstandings or excellents. To my knowledge, there is no class curve, although I suppose individual profs can set their own curves. I have not heard of any, though that certainly doesn't mean they don't exist. Once you head outside of Massachusetts/New England, it is a rare employer indeed who, unfamiliar with the evaluation system, is willing to wade through 27-30 pages of evaluations and then attempt to decipher how that compares to other applicant's x.x GPA score and class rank. The school likes to say that because we have evaluations and no class rank, the school isn't competitive. As a graduate, I will provide the most cogent retort I can, based upon my three years spent in their classrooms: bullshit.

To be fair, I do not believe the administration is as greed-bent as that of other law schools. For the most part, they are ex-1960's radicals. You see, NUSL was closed for nearly twenty years, from the early 1950's until 1969. When it was rebooted, it was purposely made to be the "anti-Harvard." Most of the senior administration and faculty date right back to the reopening of the school, or soon thereafter. The issue is that being the anti-Harvard law school today is to commit suicide. I have no clue whether the admin live in splendor in the western or northern suburbs of Boston, or in Back Bay townhouses, or whatever. The undergrad administration is paid very well indeed, although whether this translates to the law school is a determination I am not willing to make. The Northeastern parking lots are across campus from the law school, so I have no clue if they roll in European luxury cars or Kias. I would wager their compensation is in line with other similarly-ranked law schools. But they are little concerned with raising money, outrageous tutition notwithstanding. I have actually not received one plea for donations in the two and a half years since graduation. Their offices are not lined in burled mahogany or filled with fancy furniture, and the original law school building screams bare-budget 1960's construction (rats and roaches in the basement are common - home to prof offices, lecture halls, the original common area, and the lockers). The 1968/2008 addition is nicer, but still nothing special if one walks over to Suffolk or Harvard. They even like to crow about how the "new" building is sooo green because it is LEED Silver certified, as if having the third-best rating is something really fucking special (it means having scored btw 60 and 80 on a 110 point scale).

Another aspect that does set the admin apart is their complete disregard for school rankings (except for when it suits them). The school has dropped from #77 to #94 over the last four or five years in the USNWR rankings. I would assume the main culprits for this alarming decline are the lack of grades, class rank, or law review, all of which must kill the school in the all-important academic reputation segment. In addition, the school, until 20008, was housed in a horribly shabby, small white-brick building from the 1960's. This building has never been renovated beyond minor A/V enhancements. In 2008, they took over a second 1960's white-brick building, albeit one that had been mildly gutted inside. The insane cost must also be a detriment. The student budget is a tad over $65,000 per year, more expensive than Suffolk, BC, BU, and within about $2500 of Harvard Law School. Given the disparities in financial aid, Northeastern probably is more expensive than Harvard for the average student. There is simply no reason it should cost anywhere near as much, given the limited physical plant, relatively small student body (~650 in the school), and sparse course selection (due to scheduling challenges with the quarterly co-op system, the school only offers about 40% of the number of courses as BU). Many of the courses, particularly transactional/business courses, are taught by adjuncts. As you might expect from what I have written, transactional courses are a small minority of the offerings; a quick scan of the course catalog reveals such gems as Animal Law, Human Rights in the Global Economy, and Law, Policy, and Society. Such fluff (there are many others) probably hurts the academic reputation. The complete venom shown towards anything conservative or even centrist probably is a small contributing factor for the school's low ranking. If you look only at the undergrad GPA and LSAT in USNWR, then Northeastern should be ranked somewhere in the high 40's to mid 50's. The admin is just running things really poorly, and everyone knows it. If the school does drop into the third tier this March with the new rankings (below the goddamn University of Maine Law School!), I will personally launch a campaign to oust every leadership role in the law school.

Of course, when the rankings benefit them, they crow about it from the rooftops. If one were to peruse the law school's website, you would notice a prominent headline discussing how the Princeton Review has named them one of the most outstanding law schools in the country (only 172 law schools are discussed!), and one of "only" forty law schools to place in two categories. What categories, might you ask? "Best environment" for minority students and "most liberal" students. Laudable qualities, I suppose, but neither say anything about the inherent quality of the school. But what, you might ask, of the important benefits for students going into the public interest, like an incredible loan forgiveness program similar to that of Berkeley, Georgetown, and Harvard? No such luck. If you send in reams of paperwork, and earn less than the ridiculously low ceiling of $38k in a public interest job, you might get a couple hundred dollars, maybe even a thousand, in assistance per year. Doesn't really compare, does it? But what does it matter when the oh-so-prestigious Prelaw Magazine determines you are the number one public interest law school in the country?

What makes this really odd is that Northeastern University itself is on a massive drive to shed its image as Boston's commuter college into an important and elite research university. The hired a new president - Joseph Aoun - a few years ago, bought him a $9 million, five-story townhouse on Beacon Hill (several miles from Northeastern's campus), and set things in motion sufficient to bring the school from unranked up 60 spots to somewhere in the 90's of the top National Universities in USNWR. It is very odd, in my eyes, that the university admin lets the law school be so diffident concerning their reputation. I mean, the symbolism of Northeastern - founded in the Boston YMCA to provide an education for the Irish and other undesirables that the wealthy Boston Brahamans considered inhuman during the Gilded Age - buying their president a townhouse in Beacon Hill, home to Boston Brahmans then and now, is almost overwhelming. All the usual rankings-improvement criteria are being implemented: admissions rates are lowered while they simultaneously target students who wouldn't get in, so as to make admittance even lower; shiny new 15-25 story dorms and academic towers are built (using debt instruments, of course), a new gym half a city block in size, etc; big campaign drives, and so on and so forth. All out of the same playbook that BU undertook in the 1990's, and BC undertook in the 1980's. Given this background, the law school's indifference to public opinion is all the more shocking.

The "deeply unhappy comment" strike a personal chord with me, because the first time I voiced frustration with the career services office - two years after graduation - I was told that they did not know what they could do to assist me, and that I should speak to the local branch of Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers. As if that would help me procure employment. Again, I think it all falls under their rubric of "people who don't want to work in public interest are wrong; there is something wrong with them." I am quite serious in stating the above. The fact that I am trying to find a law firm or corporate job to service my $200,000 (and climbing) in student loans, interest, and penalties is viewed with disgust by the school. A real Northeastern graduate would be willing to make the financial sacrifice to work pro bono for the rest of their life in Dorchester, Detroit, or preferably some third-world country, because that really makes for a good byline. Nothing cheers up a 1960's hippie-cum-law school administrator like a pretty white kid from Greenwich or Weston telling people in Sub-Saharan Africa or Indonesia how they should be running their societies. God forbid they pull themselves up by their own bootstraps or figure things out by themselves. Where would they be without the support of clean-cut WASPS? What unctuous crap.

This view is enhanced by a consistent and very vocal minority of the student body who parrot the administration's perspective that every single person at the school should work in the public interest. Mind you, only 12-15% of a given graduating class go into the public interest. Interestingly, many of the most vocal public interest folk (in my class, at least) came from pretty serious money, lived in luxury apartments/condos on the waterfront, Beacon Hill, or in Back Bay, and drove to school in BMWs and Audis. In their three years of law school, they spend absolutely no time whatsoever in the poorer neighborhoods of Boston, whose residents they claim to champion. In fact, I rather doubt they incurred any student loans at all...

If I could find an entry-level $30k job at some company somewhere, I would gladly take it, even though my minimum student loan payments are about $26k after taxes. There is not one entry-level position at a MA law firm on the school's job board. NOT ONE. Suffolk and New England School of Law have such positions listed, even if they are at shockingly low wages (think $25k). What they do have listed are a stenographer salesperson listing, a two-year unfunded fellowship in frigging Liberia, an attorney listing for Pangea3 in Mumbai, and an attorney/assistant position for a solo in Tiverton, RI, which is a lower-middle class suburb of Fall River, MA, a destitute mill city of 90,000 at the mouth of Narragansett Bay. Plus an incredibly random smegma of public interest positions in Arizona, Florida, Alaska, DC, and basically anywhere except Massachusetts, where the vast majority of grads take the bar.

Am I deeply unhappy? Fucking hell I am! I had no great shakes before law school - as a graduate of a non-Williams/Amherst/Bowdoin/Middlebury NESCAC institution (the only ones with decent career services and loyal, high-placed alumni), I was in the midst of discovering how useless a liberal arts education really is in a city of research universities like Boston. However, even with the variety of crap retail and sales positions I held, I could make my loan payments. Today, I look at my future, and I need to make about $60k to spend as little as half my after-tax salary to Access and Nelnet. I have literally ten times the student loan debt that I did post-undergrad. I live in my parents' house with no health insurance, no car, and basically no hope. I have no expectation of making even $30k in my first job, whether in the legal profession or not. I feel successful if an employer I have applied to takes the time to send me a rejection letter, which happens maybe one time out of fifty. Informational sessions done as favors aside, I have not had a legitimate job interview in about a year and a half. Given that I took a spate of corporate and transactional courses, cannot afford malpractice insurance, and live in one of the most overlawyered states in the country, the idea that I might set up a virtual law office or troll the county courthouses for DUI's is risible. Every time my parents juggle credit cards or take money from their 401k's so that I can buy food, I want to vomit. I would try to get a job at Best Buy or something, except that I am "overqualified" and my student loan payments would drown me. My running shoes are four years old, and my glasses prescriptions are seven, but I cannot bear to ask my folks to help me get new ones. I screwed up something in my left shoulder really badly this summer, and still have not told them, because they cannot afford to send me to physical therapy, but would anyway. I have trouble sleeping without downing a few drinks - when I don't, I am usually awake until four or five in the morning, doubled over with fear and regret. Living with my parents in the middle of expensive metro-Boston suburbia, I can't even remember the last time I talked to someone of the opposite sex, much less had any sort of relationship. Which is of little consequence, because the salary I need to make to support a home and a family is far more than I ever have a reasonable expectation to make. Call it a buck-fifty, at least.

To sum all of this up, Northeastern admin, Dean Spieler, and career services: go fuck yourselves. Fuck the school. Fuck your families. I hope your next of kin suffer a deabilitating disease and coverage is denied by your insurance provider, so that you can understand the destructive nature and shame and stress of hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. You have destroyed my future, and have the fucking temerity to dismiss candid profiles of the school on the internet because it might endanger your cushy jobs. Rot in hell.

linquest

Bronze

Post by linquest » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:36 am

oberlin- I'm a federal attorney working outside of the New England region. Don't like to give more details than that so I can preserve some anonymity.

re: "unemployednusl"- everyone who went to NUSL with him can identify who he is from these rants. I wouldn't say that everything he complains about has absolutely no grounds (I can see where's he coming from re: curriculum and admin, even if I don't agree with his perspective), but as far as his job prospect complaints, he would often rant about the same inane stuff even while he was still in school. I could name grads from much higher-ranked schools that have similar struggles in their job search, so the school cannot be entirely at fault when the legal economy is in the pits. His point that he "graduated with no options, no possible mentors" is laughable. If you went through four co-ops and three years of law school without gaining a single mentor in the process, I think that speaks more to YOUR abilities and personality than anything else :roll:
Last edited by linquest on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:48 am

unemployednusl sounds like he has psychological problems.. to hope that the dean's family gets a debilitating disease that isn't covered by medical insurance.... :shock: :shock:

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:56 am

unemployednusl needs a hug.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:32 pm

Received deferral letter today. Pretty shocked I know my GPA sucks but thought my LSAT, LORs and graduate work would be enough for some scholly money and def. at least admission. I always liked the Northeastern co-op but the school was always (supposed to be) a safety for me so I will prob withdraw shortly. Just shows how unpredictable the admissions process can be, same day Im accepted to Washington & Lee I'm deferred at Northeastern. Good luck to everyone else out there.

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:49 pm

Sent the e-mail asking to withdraw my application good luck to the rest of you and congrats to those accepted.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:50 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:Sent the e-mail asking to withdraw my application good luck to the rest of you and congrats to those accepted.

Good luck to you as well, congrats on W&L!

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:02 pm

oberlin08 wrote:
fulkersonr1 wrote:Sent the e-mail asking to withdraw my application good luck to the rest of you and congrats to those accepted.

Good luck to you as well, congrats on W&L!
Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:04 pm

Seems like a lot of people, including me, were surprised by a deferral. Weird...who knows what Northeastern is up to.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:05 pm

jbarl1 wrote:Seems like a lot of people, including me, were surprised by a deferral. Weird...who knows what Northeastern is up to.
YP maybe?

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:15 pm

oberlin08 wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:Seems like a lot of people, including me, were surprised by a deferral. Weird...who knows what Northeastern is up to.
YP maybe?

Maybe but looks like on lsn they have accepted people with some pretty high numbers. I wrote an essay, pretty sure was optional, on what I liked about the co-op program so was pretty surprised but oh well ya never know.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:18 pm

oberlin08 wrote:
YP maybe?
I was definitely surprised by my deferral. They just didn't seem like a school that would practice YP. Of course my cycle has been odd in general.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:20 pm

OGR3 wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:
YP maybe?
I was definitely surprised by my deferral. They just didn't seem like a school that would practice YP. Of course my cycle has been odd in general.
Were the rest of the deferrals high lsat splitters?

Stellar

New

Post by Stellar » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:00 pm

Nope ... pretty middle of the road LSAT/GPA here.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:08 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:
YP maybe?
I'm a high LSAT splitter. I really like the co-op philosophy of both Northeastern and Drexel. Unfortunately I've been Wl'ed at Drexel on top of the deferral at Northeastern.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:17 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:
YP maybe?

I am high GPA and around median LSAT

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ILoveClowns8

New

Post by ILoveClowns8 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Rejected today via snail mail. I would have been devastated, but my surprise acceptance to Iowa took the place of "top pick" from Northeastern. Good luck, everyone!

dmbmarleyu2

New

Post by dmbmarleyu2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:43 pm

i've been a lurker here for a while. has anyone w/ EA besides those with 161 + or URM been accepted yet ? I've only heard of deferrals/ rejections being sent already. my status was changed today saying decision letter mailed 1/11/10 - crossing my fingers for an acceptance as it's my top choice. mid-50% lsat (however, lower than median), mid-50% gpa from a top private school in boston area.

lovethelaw88

New

Post by lovethelaw88 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am

My status checker says "Decision mailed 1/11/10"...so I don't know what that means. I'm in Boston, so hopefully it won't take too long to get the letter. I'm trying to be optimistic, telling myself that it's too early for them to flat out reject me, but I'm still terrified.

161, 3.08, URM from BU.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:59 pm

lovethelaw88 wrote:My status checker says "Decision mailed 1/11/10"...so I don't know what that means. I'm in Boston, so hopefully it won't take too long to get the letter. I'm trying to be optimistic, telling myself that it's too early for them to flat out reject me, but I'm still terrified.

161, 3.08, URM from BU.
i think you're in lovethelaw!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lovethelaw88

New

Post by lovethelaw88 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:32 pm

I hope so, but I know these things are never guaranteed. I'm actually really nervous. Now I'm just stalking my mailbox and praying I got in.

hugtrees

New

Post by hugtrees » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:32 pm

i got my letter today, in w/ $8,500/yr scholarship and $3,000 stipend for public interest co-op.

my status checker said decision mailed 1/11, i live in cambridge so it came quick.

first acceptance! pretty relieved. i'm going to law school!

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:09 pm

hugtrees wrote:i got my letter today, in w/ $8,500/yr scholarship and $3,000 stipend for public interest co-op.

my status checker said decision mailed 1/11, i live in cambridge so it came quick.

first acceptance! pretty relieved. i'm going to law school!
numbers?

hugtrees

New

Post by hugtrees » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:39 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
numbers?
oh sorry, 171/3.45

and it was a small envelope, but thick :)

good luck everyone! hope your mail contains a small thick envelope soon!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”