Tulane 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BriaTharen

Silver

Re: Tulane 2010

Post by BriaTharen » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:46 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:I am looking around at places to live in NO right now, some preliminary research. Do many people live in the Garden District or French Quarter? I plan to bring a car but bicycle on a daily basis. Are there nice bike routes between these two areas of the city and campus? What are the particular areas to avoid? I would prefer to live in more of community type building (pool, etc.) rather than a small house, and it looks like there are some places like that around the French Quarter and Garden District.
If you are planning on biking to campus daily, I would definitely look for a place in the Garden District. The French Quarter to Tulane is a pretty significant distance on a bike.

pearl_earrings

Bronze

Post by pearl_earrings » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:06 am

In via e-mail yesterday! They mentioned a scholarship, but said details will be in a January letter.

As for the "Why Tulane" - I stuck to about 3/4 of a page.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:16 am

Did anyone else get in yesterday?

anniesaysrelax

New

Post by anniesaysrelax » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:42 am

JessicaTiger wrote:
twintipping_bumps wrote:I am looking around at places to live in NO right now, some preliminary research. Do many people live in the Garden District or French Quarter? I plan to bring a car but bicycle on a daily basis. Are there nice bike routes between these two areas of the city and campus? What are the particular areas to avoid? I would prefer to live in more of community type building (pool, etc.) rather than a small house, and it looks like there are some places like that around the French Quarter and Garden District.
If you are planning on biking to campus daily, I would definitely look for a place in the Garden District. The French Quarter to Tulane is a pretty significant distance on a bike.
Yeah, you're gonna want to stay in the Uptown/Garden District areas if you are planning on biking. Bike routes don't exist, but there are many sleepy side streets that you can take in order to avoid main roads. The roads here in general are not very well maintained, so be prepared for some bumpy rides. It's hard to say what areas to avoid, but certainly nothing in Central City, or really outside the Uptown/GD areas if you want to be close to the school. If you have any particular locations in mind post them up and I'm sure either JessicaTiger or I can tell you whether or not it would be a good idea.

There aren't many larger apartment complexes, but you will find some in the area. DO NOT live in the Tulane grad student apartments at the Papillion. They are way over priced and low quality. There is much more to choose from in the house market as there are so many and they are generally much more affordable, but as I said there are some complexes.

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:30 pm

The Saulet Apartments by Annunciation Square and The Union Lofts Apartments by One Shell Square both look nice. They seem to be on the Garden District side of things with the Warehouse District close by and the French Quarter beyond that. My knowledge of the area is only what I am seeing by looking at maps. Are you familiar with these complexes at all? My knowledge of them is only from what I can see on their websites.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

macatak911

Bronze

Post by macatak911 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:44 pm

Dude, you don't want to stay in the quarter. Stay uptown/garden.

anothernancydrew

Bronze

Post by anothernancydrew » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:45 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:The Saulet Apartments by Annunciation Square and The Union Lofts Apartments by One Shell Square both look nice. They seem to be on the Garden District side of things with the Warehouse District close by and the French Quarter beyond that. My knowledge of the area is only what I am seeing by looking at maps. Are you familiar with these complexes at all? My knowledge of them is only from what I can see on their websites.
I actually live nearby the Saulet and know some people who used to live there. The Saulet is extremely cookie-cutter, and, in my opinion, a bit overpriced for what you actually get. I've also heard various stories about it being built a bit cheaply, hence, even though its a fairly new complex, some things are already broken. That being said, the gym and pool area are nice. A lot of the units also have balconies that look quite nice. The Saulet is in a fairly nice location, as the lower garden district has a lot of cute shops and little restaurants nearby and it isn't too, too far from anything. That being said, some people think that the lower garden district is a bit borderline in terms of safety, but I've never felt unsafe there and I like the neighborhood a lot. If you live in the Saulet, I think you would have to drive to Tulane, as it seems like it would be a long bike ride, but I'm also pretty lazy, so that might just be me. In general, unless you must live in a complex, I think you could find a much nicer, larger place to live for the same price as the Saulet.

I'm not as familiar with One Shell Square, but I believe they are both nicer/considerably more expensive/a little further away--almost located in the central business district (cbd), as opposed to the lgd.

macatak911

Bronze

Post by macatak911 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:52 pm

Over the course of three years I would put your life expectency at a week if you biked that far. Claiborne between the CBD and Tulane
isn't
exactly "safe"

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:00 pm

Thanks anothernancydrew. It looks like about a 4 mile ride, which is doable. Am I right to assume the terrain is pretty much flat? I did read the roads aren't in the best condition. I biked as my primary method of transportation in grad school, though that was only a 1.2 mile ride on a daily basis. I suppose I could drive. My thinking on living in a complex is, with everyone saying how dangerous NO can be, do I really want to live in a small house with a door right on the street if I have to worry about what's going on in the street at night?

Mac, I take it Clairborne is a dangerous area and one I should avoid when thinking of travel routes? What is CBD? Central _?_ District maybe?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

macatak911

Bronze

Post by macatak911 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:16 pm

The area on Claiborne between the Superdome and Ursuline Academy on Nashville is bad, I'd definetly stay away at night at the least.

Don't get me wrong, there's crime in every American city and nOLA
is no different. But just like any American city there are areas to avoid. Just so happens one of them is betwen A and B if you lived downtown. I'd strongly suggest Uptown. Hell, Drew Brees (the saints QB) lives in a normal house uptown. Lot of Tulane UGs live Uptown too.

anothernancydrew

Bronze

Post by anothernancydrew » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:05 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:Thanks anothernancydrew. It looks like about a 4 mile ride, which is doable. Am I right to assume the terrain is pretty much flat? I did read the roads aren't in the best condition. I biked as my primary method of transportation in grad school, though that was only a 1.2 mile ride on a daily basis. I suppose I could drive. My thinking on living in a complex is, with everyone saying how dangerous NO can be, do I really want to live in a small house with a door right on the street if I have to worry about what's going on in the street at night?

Mac, I take it Clairborne is a dangerous area and one I should avoid when thinking of travel routes? What is CBD? Central _?_ District maybe?
I feel like maybe the crime rate has been a little bit overblown. Don't get me wrong, it is an urban area with crime, but not so much so that you couldn't live in a house without fearing for your life. :) To give some perspective, I am a small, white girl and I live in a house more or less by myself and I'm really not concerned. In New Orleans, there are some very nice places to live and some very not nice places to live, but oddly, much of the crime stays relatively contained in the not so nice places. Also, some streets go from nice to not nice in a very small area, so I think it is extremely important to visit and check out places in person, even more so than usual.

As for Claiborne Ave, there are parts closer to Tulane that are fairly nice, but nearer the Superdome/Central City area, not so much. Would you get killed? I really doubt it, but it isn't anywhere I'd want to bike on a regular basis, particularly at night. That and Claiborne has a lot of traffic and not really actual bike lanes or anything, so I'm not sure it'd be a pleasant ride. Biking down St. Charles would be way better and probably not that much longer, and just generally safer and more scenic too. That and the street car runs all the way down St. Charles and stops not far from the law school--not sure about using it as your only transport, but it can certainly be convenient at times.

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:16 am

anothernancydrew wrote:
twintipping_bumps wrote:Thanks anothernancydrew. It looks like about a 4 mile ride, which is doable. Am I right to assume the terrain is pretty much flat? I did read the roads aren't in the best condition. I biked as my primary method of transportation in grad school, though that was only a 1.2 mile ride on a daily basis. I suppose I could drive. My thinking on living in a complex is, with everyone saying how dangerous NO can be, do I really want to live in a small house with a door right on the street if I have to worry about what's going on in the street at night?

I feel like maybe the crime rate has been a little bit overblown. Don't get me wrong, it is an urban area with crime, but not so much so that you couldn't live in a house without fearing for your life. :) To give some perspective, I am a small, white girl and I live in a house more or less by myself and I'm really not concerned. In New Orleans, there are some very nice places to live and some very not nice places to live, but oddly, much of the crime stays relatively contained in the not so nice places. Also, some streets go from nice to not nice in a very small area, so I think it is extremely important to visit and check out places in person, even more so than usual.

As for Claiborne Ave, there are parts closer to Tulane that are fairly nice, but nearer the Superdome/Central City area, not so much. Would you get killed? I really doubt it, but it isn't anywhere I'd want to bike on a regular basis, particularly at night. That and Claiborne has a lot of traffic and not really actual bike lanes or anything, so I'm not sure it'd be a pleasant ride. Biking down St. Charles would be way better and probably not that much longer, and just generally safer and more scenic too. That and the street car runs all the way down St. Charles and stops not far from the law school--not sure about using it as your only transport, but it can certainly be convenient at times.
Biking at night is the main concern. During the day I have never felt uneasy at all, but night is a different story. While I have never had anyone bother me, there are some streets that I avoid past twilight. New Orleans is a beautiful city, but as far as the bad areas go it is very "patchy." You can go from a good area to a bad area very quickly. If you are a real homebody that plans to go to campus only for class and be back in your apartment/house before nightfall, you are fine. If you plan on staying on campus for studying, meeting up with study groups, etc- the car is a better idea. Anothernancydrew is right on the money by saying you should visit New Orleans before attending to make sure of the area you want to live in.

As far as the terrain- by no means would I call it flat. Katrina pretty much saw to destruction of several streets uptown. It's not mountain terrain, but not flat concrete one bit. Streetcars are also convenient when you can catch them, and an interesting mode of transportation when you have not ridden on one before :)

williambrianlondon

New

Post by williambrianlondon » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:36 am

I'm a current student (2L), and if I can be of help to any of you guys looking at Tulane, feel free to shoot me a personal message. I'll try to respond, to be helpful, and to be honest.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

idksomeone

New

Post by idksomeone » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:44 pm

in via email monday, but still nothing in the mail!

also: my status checker went straight from "file complete" to "decision"

S de Garmeaux

Bronze

Post by S de Garmeaux » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:46 pm

arg! :evil:

ive had so many complete date changes, wtf

Complete 1/6 now, was originally 11/5

bookofcarpetsamples

New

Post by bookofcarpetsamples » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:56 pm

also complete again as of 01/07. originally complete 11/16....

Snoopy1216

Bronze

Post by Snoopy1216 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:59 pm

idksomeone wrote:in via email monday, but still nothing in the mail!

Same for me. Congrats!! Hoping the mail comes early next week!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MSUPHL

Bronze

Post by MSUPHL » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:

me as well. Said in email I was awarded a scholarship. Only have 163/3.6, so not expecting too much. Regardless, as of now, Tulane is my #1 choice.

MirandaHobbes

Bronze

Post by MirandaHobbes » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:30 pm

MSUPHL wrote:
Snoopy1216 wrote:

me as well. Said in email I was awarded a scholarship. Only have 163/3.6, so not expecting too much. Regardless, as of now, Tulane is my #1 choice.
also in via e-mail monday and no mail. ...and i'm in new orleans.

MSUPHL

Bronze

Post by MSUPHL » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:38 pm

hmm i got my email on tuesday evening so im expecing the package by at least next friday. I am actually hoping for that bag everyone is talkin about!

nianlong

New

Post by nianlong » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:42 pm

For places to live, my favorite areas are primarily south of Claiborne and west of Napoleon all the way up to the river. In general, that whole area is pretty safe and within a mile or two of the law school. Places right around Magazine further down river are worth looking at, too. If you get a chance to visit, just drive around uptown a little bit and you'll get a good idea of the areas that you'd like to live. It's really not a big place. Doesn't take long to get your bearings.

And FYI, there are supposed to be some bike lanes added to St. Charles Ave, this spring, so that should help out as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:28 pm

What is with the complete date changing? Is it like a hold?

idksomeone

New

Post by idksomeone » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:43 am

MoS wrote:What is with the complete date changing? Is it like a hold?
i'm not certain, but i don't think so. my complete date changed a couple of times, then went straight to "decision."
i'm saying i don't think so only bc my stats are above median and i've gotten in relatively early so i doubt its a hold...

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:18 pm

idksomeone wrote:
MoS wrote:What is with the complete date changing? Is it like a hold?
i'm not certain, but i don't think so. my complete date changed a couple of times, then went straight to "decision."
i'm saying i don't think so only bc my stats are above median and i've gotten in relatively early so i doubt its a hold...
I hope so, I am with you above the median GPA and about the 75th LSAT.

MirandaHobbes

Bronze

Post by MirandaHobbes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:13 pm

acceptance letter, scholarship offer and cool tote bag in the mail today. yay!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”