U Washington Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Shlonster

Bronze

Re: U Washington

Post by Shlonster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:48 am

ccs224 wrote:
MisterChase wrote:
Shlonster wrote:Is the picture that LSN paints of scholarship at UW accurate? It looks like they seriously give out 120k in scholly each year, and that's it. That can't be right.
Well UW is already extremely cheap for the high-class school that it is: Roughly 20 grand a year. That's roughly a 60k debt in the end, compared to the typical six-figure debt for most law schools. The way I see it, a school can only do two things: 1) Be real cheap but give out little to no scholarships, or 2) Be real expensive, but give out free rides and substantial scholarships.
While UW is absolutely cheap, many more expensive schools offer scholarships that make tuition less. It's hard to pass those offers up without feeling like a bit of a chump for paying sticker at UW.
Emphasis on chump

MisterChase

New

Post by MisterChase » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:54 am

Shlonster wrote:
MisterChase wrote:
Shlonster wrote:Is the picture that LSN paints of scholarship at UW accurate? It looks like they seriously give out 120k in scholly each year, and that's it. That can't be right.
Well UW is already extremely cheap for the high-class school that it is: Roughly 20 grand a year. That's roughly a 60k debt in the end, compared to the typical six-figure debt for most law schools. The way I see it, a school can only do two things: 1) Be real cheap but give out little to no scholarships, or 2) Be real expensive, but give out free rides and substantial scholarships.
It's not roughly twenty -- it's 32 out of state, plus COL. Easily six figures. I get what you're saying, and it is relatively cheap, but it's not cheap. Even a small scholly would make a big difference.
Yeah, I wasn't talking about out of state costs. It's roughly twenty for us Washington RESIDENTS. :mrgreen:

Yearly Tuition: Resident: $22,267, Non-Resident: $32,777 (2009-2010)

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:35 am

I forget the link, but it's pretty easy to get Washington residency for tuition purposes after a year.

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:41 am

MBZags wrote:I forget the link, but it's pretty easy to get Washington residency for tuition purposes after a year.
I think you're referring to the grad student waiver that applies to 2 and 3Ls:

http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/ ... ional.html

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:19 am

Shlonster wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
MisterChase wrote:
While UW is absolutely cheap, many more expensive schools offer scholarships that make tuition less. It's hard to pass those offers up without feeling like a bit of a chump for paying sticker at UW.
Emphasis on chump
I'd love to be that chump...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ProfitsProphets

Bronze

Post by ProfitsProphets » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Well UW is already extremely cheap for the high-class school that it is: Roughly 20 grand a year. That's roughly a 60k debt in the end, compared to the typical six-figure debt for most law schools. The way I see it, a school can only do two things: 1) Be real cheap but give out little to no scholarships, or 2) Be real expensive, but give out free rides and substantial scholarships.[/quote]

While UW is absolutely cheap, many more expensive schools offer scholarships that make tuition less. It's hard to pass those offers up without feeling like a bit of a chump for paying sticker at UW.[/quote]

Emphasis on chump[/quote]

I'd love to be that chump...[/quote]

+1, and not all of us have that luxury to mule over scholly offers, so sticker at any school may be our only option. Take it easy with the labels. :lol:

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:30 pm

ProfitsProphets wrote:Well UW is already extremely cheap for the high-class school that it is: Roughly 20 grand a year. That's roughly a 60k debt in the end, compared to the typical six-figure debt for most law schools. The way I see it, a school can only do two things: 1) Be real cheap but give out little to no scholarships, or 2) Be real expensive, but give out free rides and substantial scholarships.
While UW is absolutely cheap, many more expensive schools offer scholarships that make tuition less. It's hard to pass those offers up without feeling like a bit of a chump for paying sticker at UW.[/quote]

+1, and not all of us have that luxury to mule over scholly offers, so sticker at any school may be our only option. Take it easy with the labels. :lol:[/quote]

I'd love to be that chump as well, but it does kind of suck that a school you'd like to go to doesn't offer any money and another school that's higher ranked does, essentially forcing you to go to the other school, though if that other school is GW or Vandy, it's tough to complain too much.

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:36 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
ProfitsProphets wrote:Well UW is already extremely cheap for the high-class school that it is: Roughly 20 grand a year. That's roughly a 60k debt in the end, compared to the typical six-figure debt for most law schools. The way I see it, a school can only do two things: 1) Be real cheap but give out little to no scholarships, or 2) Be real expensive, but give out free rides and substantial scholarships.

+1, and not all of us have that luxury to mule over scholly offers, so sticker at any school may be our only option. Take it easy with the labels. :lol:[/quote]

I'd love to be that chump as well, but it does kind of suck that a school you'd like to go to doesn't offer any money and another school that's higher ranked does, essentially forcing you to go to the other school, though if that other school is GW or Vandy, it's tough to complain too much.[/quote]

It's always easy to complain.

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:49 am

In review 3/14........they even work Sundays....impressive. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Neelio

Silver

Post by Neelio » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:10 am

feelin it today... blank status checker coming. come on UW!

Bobalou

Bronze

Post by Bobalou » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:18 pm

My status checker went blank sometime within the last 2 hours, what happens next, WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!?!?!?!?!????????

Neelio

Silver

Post by Neelio » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:20 pm

Bobalou wrote:My status checker went blank sometime within the last 2 hours, what happens next, WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!?!?!?!?!????????
When did you go In Review? basically now you wait for the mail...

Bobalou

Bronze

Post by Bobalou » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:23 pm

Neelio wrote:
Bobalou wrote:My status checker went blank sometime within the last 2 hours, what happens next, WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!?!?!?!?!????????
Submitted 1/13, In Review 2/22. Corssing fingers that they dont average LSAT scores!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Probably this, starting at :20.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Bobalou wrote:
Neelio wrote:
Submitted 1/13, In Review 2/22. Corssing fingers that they dont average LSAT scores!
dang, pretty much same dates as me, hoping mine goes blank sometime today :)

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:35 pm

Neelio wrote:feelin it today... blank status checker coming. come on UW!
I hope I go blank today. C'mon UW, let's have a flood of acceptances for business majors!

rodewan

Bronze

Post by rodewan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:36 pm

i just went blank as well. i sincerely hope this is not the rejection batch.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Neelio

Silver

Post by Neelio » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:37 pm

rodewan wrote:i just went blank as well. i sincerely hope this is not the rejection batch.
stats, if you don't mind?

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:38 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
Neelio wrote:feelin it today... blank status checker coming. come on UW!
I hope I go blank today. C'mon UW, let's have a flood of acceptances for business majors!
+1

rodewan

Bronze

Post by rodewan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:41 pm

pm'd you neelio

Bobalou

Bronze

Post by Bobalou » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm going to try and be positive and speculate. On their website they say that decisions will be made by April 1st. I kinda figured to myself that if I got to the last week in March without hearing anything, that meant that I'd be in that final batch of reject letters (if they do indeed average my LSAT scores I'm out, I know that my highest isn't exactly great, but my application as a whole is very strong and I wrote an LSAT addendum). Here we are at the 15th, right in the middle of the month that most decisions are made and it seems that they were working some over this past weekend. With some people saying that they aren't yet in review, perhaps they finalized a batch of acceptances over the weekend and are now getting down to working on the last batch of apps, leaving the rejections for the very end?

Does that make sense to anyone else? Washington is tied for my top choice, I'd pay sticker + to go there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Bobalou wrote:I'm going to try and be positive and speculate. On their website they say that decisions will be made by April 1st. I kinda figured to myself that if I got to the last week in March without hearing anything, that meant that I'd be in that final batch of reject letters (if they do indeed average my LSAT scores I'm out, I know that my highest isn't exactly great, but my application as a whole is very strong and I wrote an LSAT addendum). Here we are at the 15th, right in the middle of the month that most decisions are made and it seems that they were working some over this past weekend. With some people saying that they aren't yet in review, perhaps they finalized a batch of acceptances over the weekend and are now getting down to working on the last batch of apps, leaving the rejections for the very end?

Does that make sense to anyone else? Washington is tied for my top choice, I'd pay sticker + to go there.
Not sure what their plan is.
http://washington.lawschoolnumbers.com/ ... order=desc
If you look at last year, there are a number of acceptances in the last few days of March though.
I hope I go blank soon. I check my status pretty much every hour on the hour.

mat2013

New

Post by mat2013 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Bobalou wrote:I'm going to try and be positive and speculate. On their website they say that decisions will be made by April 1st. I kinda figured to myself that if I got to the last week in March without hearing anything, that meant that I'd be in that final batch of reject letters (if they do indeed average my LSAT scores I'm out, I know that my highest isn't exactly great, but my application as a whole is very strong and I wrote an LSAT addendum). Here we are at the 15th, right in the middle of the month that most decisions are made and it seems that they were working some over this past weekend. With some people saying that they aren't yet in review, perhaps they finalized a batch of acceptances over the weekend and are now getting down to working on the last batch of apps, leaving the rejections for the very end?

I think it makes sense, but so do other very lucid, completely different explanations. Hopefully it works out though. Or at least ends soon. :)

What did your addendum regarding your LSAT state?

Bobalou

Bronze

Post by Bobalou » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:03 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
Not sure what their plan is.
http://washington.lawschoolnumbers.com/ ... order=desc
If you look at last year, there are a number of acceptances in the last few days of March though.
I hope I go blank soon. I check my status pretty much every hour on the hour.
Ugh, looks like it was all rejects in that 2nd/3rd week with mixed results towards the end of the month.

Bobalou

Bronze

Post by Bobalou » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:09 pm

mat2013: i just pm'd you re: LSAT addendum.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”