Stetson 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Re: Stetson 2010

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:46 pm

hbizzle13 wrote:Does scholly info come with acceptance? And what has been the turn around time for status checkers saying decision made and actually receiving letters?
I got a decision made on 12/18 also and I called the admissions office to see if I could get any info out of them. She said that they had missed Friday's mail and should go out Monday...take from that what you will. I'm in Tampa so I'm hoping that it gets here before Christmas. They wouldn't reject me the week of Christmas...right? :shock:[/quote]

Ugh I hope they are smart enough to send to my permanent address since it's the holidays. You think if I called monday and they had already sent it to the wrong one I could get them to resend? It would be so cruel of them to make me wait 2 weeks.

hbizzle13

New

Post by hbizzle13 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:54 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:
hbizzle13 wrote:Does scholly info come with acceptance? And what has been the turn around time for status checkers saying decision made and actually receiving letters?
I got a decision made on 12/18 also and I called the admissions office to see if I could get any info out of them. She said that they had missed Friday's mail and should go out Monday...take from that what you will. I'm in Tampa so I'm hoping that it gets here before Christmas. They wouldn't reject me the week of Christmas...right? :shock:
Ugh I hope they are smart enough to send to my permanent address since it's the holidays. You think if I called monday and they had already sent it to the wrong one I could get them to resend? It would be so cruel of them to make me wait 2 weeks.[/quote]

You might be able to call them and ask them to resend but unless she was giving me incorrect information, it sounded like they were ready to go out Monday. It's worth a shot. I notice your #s are really good and it's likely you got in, and like someone else said, with a full ride. I'm sort of borderline there but it's still possible I could get in. Do you think the fact that our status changed at the same time is significant?

lawschool5523

Bronze

Post by lawschool5523 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:40 pm

about the scholarship stuff, when i talked to them on the phone they said they might be sending something out in the next few weeks :)

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:55 am

I got in today by mail, no scholarship info although Darren said they would know more about that in January, or we could talk about that in January. So I think Stetson gives out scholarships both with packet for some people and later on for some people (I hope!)

luckyduck

Bronze

Post by luckyduck » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:30 pm

snakemongler84 wrote:Congrats to those already in. Sorry to those dinged. Good luck to those yet to hear or on WL.

I just finished my first semester at Stetson, and I honestly could not be happier with my choice to come here. I'll try to check back over the break to answer any questions thrown my way. Just remember my experience is rather limited. Later!
Snakemongler84,

I flipped through your posts and noticed that you chose Stetson over Miami. What was your reasoning? I also noticed that in the 2009 stetson thread you were passed over for schollys. Did anything materialize or are you paying sticker? Do you worry about the debt?

Stetson's campus is very small. Are the students competitive or are they friendly? How competitive is the internship/externships? How's the employment prospect for the upper level students?

Thanks for offering to answer questions!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:43 am

Good questions - I'll do my best to answer most of them.

I chose Stetson over Miami for a number of reasons. First of all, despite all the books and "ranking" resources applauding Miami for this or that, everything I heard/read last cycle re: Miami cast a negative light on it. The high cost of living, an unfriendly/overly competitive student body, lumping all scholarship students into one section, etc. were things brought up - and though they may not all be true, I never heard anything similar about Stetson. In fact, I heard/read about the exact opposite experience being the case.

I actually was offered 23k/yr at Miami if I recall, and in the end as you mention I am paying sticker at Stetson. I tried to use this and another scholarship offer to bargain a bit with Stetson - in the hopes of getting at least a partial tuition waiver. It did not materialize, but in the end I realized I had already made up my mind and was just trying to justify it to everyone else. I had my eye on Stetson from the start of the cycle because my wife wanted warmer weather (orig from IL), I enjoyed smaller schools (from my Undergrad experience - xferred a few times), and the trial advocacy program garnered a lot of respect. Some people may say it was a dumb decision not to take the money elsewhere (with better rankings), but time has validated my choice to "go where you'll be happy" and the rest will fall into place. Soon after making my decision Miami started offering deferments for an overloaded class, so I was glad not to be in that situation.

Do I worry about the debt? Not really. I worry a lot more about my personal debt accumulated on the way to this juncture. I worked in law enforcement for a couple of years before coming here, so I already had the desire/mindset to practice law in the public arena (criminal prosecution or defense). Although I've broadened the scope of what I might do now that I know about some other options, I will end up working a relatively low paying public service job when I graduate. This puts me in position to utilize the CCRAA 10-year loan forgiveness (federal), so coupled with IBR I will probably pay around 40k of my near 200k bill before the rest (160k) is wiped clean at the end of 10 years. For those of you not planning on doing something similar, the debt may worry you more. There certainly are firm jobs out there that pay well, but it would be much more of a gamble in my opinion.

The campus is small, but it is pretty damn nice. It’s hard to be in a bad mood walking around on it. I was not super-social or anything this semester, because of our 1L class of around 270 – I only know about 100 due being divided up into sections. From this small sample I would say 85% are friendly, genuinely cool/interesting people (we will see about competitiveness when grades come back). Approx. 15% remaining are either the full-of-themselves douche type, or introvert/hyper-competitive type. I’ve actually made many good friends in my short time down here, and I anticipate making more as the sections open up and intermingle.

The internship/externships are mainly a 2L/3L thing, but Stetson has a ton of them available and I would imagine if you put in the time and effort you can secure one or more. I am really excited about doing these and the Clinics (for which I am already in the process of getting my FL Bar clearance – cause it takes awhile) in the coming years. I bet some of the opportunities are more sought-after than others, so as many things I’ve discovered thus far – the key is finding your niche and developing it.

As for job prospects for upper-levels, I can’t really say much with confidence. I know a few who are finding/have found that “niche” described above and they have created options for themselves. Those who blindly trudged through the experience and failed to make the most of it (or learn anything from it for that matter) are probably hurting in this department. One person I know that graduated in May 09’ is getting his LLM in London (@ King’s) and another is working for a sizable Tampa firm – and she likes it. Beyond those small anecdotes I cannot attest to much yet.

Sorry for making this so long, but my overall message is that I really like Stetson so far and you would all be wise to give it a shot at least. The people who get caught up in all the rankings hoopla are the same ones who likely suffer from the “grades are all that matters” syndrome – which I already realize is not necessarily the case. My teachers were awesome, I learned a ton (and can honestly say I enjoyed almost all of it), and I am more stoked about the potential of a JD now than when I came in. It is what you make of it. That’s all for now. Let me know if you need clarification within this wall-o-text. Good luck!

luckyduck

Bronze

Post by luckyduck » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:55 am

Thanks snakemongler84! That was great information. Enjoy your break.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:54 pm

snakemongler84, couple more questions from a person in similar shoes to what you had last year. I am married and much like your wife prefers to move to the warmth of the South (live in WI).

When did you move to Tampa/St. Pete? I'm trying to judge how soon to move and become acclimated to the area.

How much time have you been able to spend with your wife? My wife and I are already preparing to spend very little time together over the next few years, but I was wondering how often you were able to spend a day/night with your family without cutting into your study hours. I just finished my MBA full-time while working 50-55 hours a week, so I'm pretty use to late hours and juggling a life around school, but I'm not 100% sure how much time will be available for social events and time with the wife.... ps I'm not working during law school and will be attending as a full-time student.

statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:05 pm

I am in. My decision was made Friday/ they sent them out today, but I called and told the admissions counselor that they had sent the packet to the address to my apartment (which I am as we speak about to leave for 2 weeks), she took pity on me and told me to expect a big white envelope on my return and that I would be very happy. Kind of disappointed I won't be able to find out about scholly till then, but it will be something nice to come back to, hopefully.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:00 pm

Lawlec48,

I moved down at the beginning of July so I had a good month and a half before orientation began. I am really glad I did because I learned the lay of the land in St. Pete and also (leading to your next question) got to spend a lot of time with my wife before school started. The place we chose to live (in "downtown" Gulfport, right on the water) had a good group of Stetson 1Ls as well, all of whom I have become good friends with.

Regarding the family-time question, I think this balance is going to be different for everyone. You sound like you have a good understanding of what it will take already - and that will only help you during the 1st semester. Personally, I was able to spend a good amount of time with her - meaning that I didn't feel I sacrificed too much of the time we normally spent together. The schedule is set up in a way that allows you to treat it like a full-time job (8-5) if you stay focused/on-task in between classes. I would usually come home and hang out with her from 5-9ish eating dinner/watching a movie or whatever, and then often I would go back to the library from 9-12 because there a fewer ppl there and it's easier to knock stuff out.

I found time I took out for myself/my family was returned tenfold because when I was studying I was "actually focused," whereas most of the other people seemed to burn themselves out studying 10+ hours straight when they lacked this focus - thus getting a lot less done in the end. My wife helped me immensely to stay grounded, and appreciate what was going on outside of the school setting. But the balance, once again, will be different for everyone.

St. Pete has a good amount of cool/relatively laid-back stuff going on at all times - so it is not too hard to find something to do when needed. First years definitely indulge in the social scene as well, so trust me when I tell you that it isn't all in the books.

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Status checker changed to decision made on 1/5. Now I'm just hoping to find that big white envelope soon...

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:43 pm

snakemongler84 wrote:Lawlec48,
Regarding the family-time question, I think this balance is going to be different for everyone. You sound like you have a good understanding of what it will take already - and that will only help you during the 1st semester. Personally, I was able to spend a good amount of time with her - meaning that I didn't feel I sacrificed too much of the time we normally spent together. The schedule is set up in a way that allows you to treat it like a full-time job (8-5) if you stay focused/on-task in between classes. I would usually come home and hang out with her from 5-9ish eating dinner/watching a movie or whatever, and then often I would go back to the library from 9-12 because there a fewer ppl there and it's easier to knock stuff out.
This sounds like very sound advice, and I think you are right, it is about where you feel you will fit the best. I am not sure I can justify sticker at Stetson, not with scholarship offers at a couple of good state schools, but I think you are dead on about fit and family.

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 pm

Rejected. I'm completely shocked given that my numbers put me above both their 75th percentiles....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:59 pm

rcharles wrote:Rejected. I'm completely shocked given that my numbers put me above both their 75th percentiles....
that is shocking, I am sorry to hear that.

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:02 pm

rcharles wrote:Rejected. I'm completely shocked given that my numbers put me above both their 75th percentiles....
numbers?

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:07 pm

Onion wrote:
numbers?
159/3.9

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:10 pm

rcharles wrote:
Onion wrote:
numbers?
159/3.9
Wow, maybe PY? Sorry to hear about that. I am a similar lsat and lower gpa and was hoping to get in so that does not look good for me. Good luck with the rest of your cycle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:19 pm

rcharles wrote:
Onion wrote:
numbers?
159/3.9

WHAT?! I am really sorry to hear that. I would have told you to consider it a lock with those numbers. I can't believe you were rejected versus waitlisted.

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:24 pm

Onion wrote:
rcharles wrote:
Onion wrote:
numbers?
159/3.9
Wow, maybe PY? Sorry to hear about that. I am a similar lsat and lower gpa and was hoping to get in so that does not look good for me. Good luck with the rest of your cycle.
Thanks. I wouldn't worry too much as long your gpa isn't too low. According to LSN I seem to be the exception with these types of numbers. Stetson doesn't seem to like splitters either.

I've been accepted to two targets so far though, so the sky isnt' falling yet. Interestingly, one of my other safeties effectively waitlisted me. They claim it's not a waitlist and they're "holding for a 2nd review," but I thought I'd be an auto-admit. I wish I could credit these decisions to YP, but I've seen higher numbers admitted at both schools...

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:
rcharles wrote:
Onion wrote:
numbers?
159/3.9

WHAT?! I am really sorry to hear that. I would have told you to consider it a lock with those numbers. I can't believe you were rejected versus waitlisted.
Yeah I now. I'm pretty bummed out because I was excited about Stetson.

lawschool5523

Bronze

Post by lawschool5523 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:36 pm

that is so shocking! i am so sorry! i was admitted with lower numbers, so that makes no sense at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Are you serious?! This makes no sense! I'm really getting nervous now! Did you have some crazy circumstances in your application?

Mitch McDeere

New

Post by Mitch McDeere » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:04 pm

Got a letter from Stetson today.... was hoping for scholarship info, but it was some kind of a congratulatory/informative letter. It was nice, but kinda strange since most of what it said was included in the acceptance packet. Anybody else get this?

luckyduck

Bronze

Post by luckyduck » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:06 am

Mitch McDeere wrote:Got a letter from Stetson today.... was hoping for scholarship info, but it was some kind of a congratulatory/informative letter. It was nice, but kinda strange since most of what it said was included in the acceptance packet. Anybody else get this?
Me too. I was also hoping it was $. I agree that it was repetitive.

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:36 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
Are you serious?! This makes no sense! I'm really getting nervous now! Did you have some crazy circumstances in your application?

Have you received sign in information for the online status checker? I got my application received email on Thursday, but no info for creating a username or anything. My file is complete at every other school I've applied to accept Stetson.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”