Colorado 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
j.wellington

Bronze

Re: Colorado 2010

Post by j.wellington » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:04 pm

I may or may not have a rejection to UW in the mail right now, but either way, it's looking likely that I'll be in Colorado this fall. Does anyone have any advice on finding housing or what I can expect to pay? I'm looking for a one-bedroom apartment that will suit two people. No great expectations, but we're willing to pay extra for a little more space.

freebird

New

Post by freebird » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:50 am

j.wellington wrote:
mle0918 wrote:For those who have visited--where did you stay? Has anyone taken the "super shuttle" to/from the airport?

Thanks!!
I stayed with friends, but both the airport shuttle and local bus system are very efficient.

I stayed with friends as well. I took super shuttle, it was around $30 and took my right to my friend's door, way easier and faster than the bus, i'd definitely suggest it. have fun!!!

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:07 pm

FYI, from the Daily Camera:
"CU tuition increase hitting law students hardest"
http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_14789787? ... z0jmpYjR2q

jdomash

New

Post by jdomash » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:20 pm

In as of last Monday....For those who received scholarships, how were you notified? And how long after being admitted were you notified?

icarter

Bronze

Post by icarter » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:25 pm

KmissP wrote:FYI, from the Daily Camera:
While CU Law tuition is increasing, at least its less than that of comparative schools such as Hastings. A year ago, I was debating on whether to go to CU or Hastings and I couldn't be happier, especially after reading this:

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/10/uc-hasti ... t-tuition/

Resident tuition is going from 32k to 39k and Non-resident is going from 43k to 50k NOT including any living expenses or books, health insurance, ect. Crazy... When will the increases stop and how can they expect students to afford law school, especially with dropping salaries and unclear job prospects.

Ok, sorry for the rant. Just had to get that out there :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:33 pm

KmissP wrote:FYI, from the Daily Camera:
What's interesting about this is that is seems like the tuition increase is significantly higher for in-state students than out-of-state students. I suppose I benefit from that, but looking at it objectively, that seems just a little unfair. CU is still the cheapest school on my list despite giving me less money than others, so I'm not deterred.

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:30 pm

Did anyone catch that 1st year students pay more than 2nd or 3rd year students? And that that money goes toward scholarships. So wait a second, I did get a smallish scholarship, but I'm paying more tuition. And for all the people paying tuition but not getting a scholarship... well, I'd just like to thank you.

It seems like the more egalitarian approach would be to give less scholarships (presumably not all scholarships come out of freshman tuition funds), but everybody would also pay less tuition.

Tuski

New

Post by Tuski » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:32 am

KmissP wrote:Did anyone catch that 1st year students pay more than 2nd or 3rd year students? And that that money goes toward scholarships. So wait a second, I did get a smallish scholarship, but I'm paying more tuition. And for all the people paying tuition but not getting a scholarship... well, I'd just like to thank you.

It seems like the more egalitarian approach would be to give less scholarships (presumably not all scholarships come out of freshman tuition funds), but everybody would also pay less tuition.
Yeah, I caught that, and it seems weird to me too.

Also, since 1st year students pay a different amount than 2nd or 3rd, which figure is it that's posted online under tuition/cost of attendance? (for 09-10, I mean, the new rates aren't posted yet - or weren't as of last night). Is that the amount what 1L's pay or 2L & 3L's?

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:44 am

lulz worthy... but I just went complete after submitting in mid-feb.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rockthelaw

Bronze

Post by rockthelaw » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:47 am

What's the out-of-state tuition for 1Ls this fall?

yellowfin

New

Post by yellowfin » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:00 am

Tuski wrote:
KmissP wrote:Did anyone catch that 1st year students pay more than 2nd or 3rd year students? And that that money goes toward scholarships. So wait a second, I did get a smallish scholarship, but I'm paying more tuition. And for all the people paying tuition but not getting a scholarship... well, I'd just like to thank you.

Yeah, I caught that, and it seems weird to me too.

Also, since 1st year students pay a different amount than 2nd or 3rd, which figure is it that's posted online under tuition/cost of attendance? (for 09-10, I mean, the new rates aren't posted yet - or weren't as of last night). Is that the amount what 1L's pay or 2L & 3L's?
This is what I thought before reading the Daily Camera:
The tuition you pay 1L is the same for 2L and 3L, provided you're a resident all three years. Meaning that the Class of 2013 will pay $27,702 (which is what the Daily Camera quotes) for three years. The Class of 2012 will pay $25,431 (the current tuition rate) for three years. When they raise tuition next year (and they will), it will only effect the Class of 2014. The Class of 2013 gets locked in at $27,702.

The Daily Camera article is confusing. Are they raising tuition for existing students? Does tuition go down after 1L? I'm making my decision largely based on debt. The ability of a school to raise tuition in the middle of the program screws up my planning.

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:23 am

yellowfin wrote:This is what I thought before reading the Daily Camera:
The tuition you pay 1L is the same for 2L and 3L, provided you're a resident all three years. Meaning that the Class of 2013 will pay $27,702 (which is what the Daily Camera quotes) for three years. The Class of 2012 will pay $25,431 (the current tuition rate) for three years. When they raise tuition next year (and they will), it will only effect the Class of 2014. The Class of 2013 gets locked in at $27,702.

The Daily Camera article is confusing. Are they raising tuition for existing students? Does tuition go down after 1L? I'm making my decision largely based on debt. The ability of a school to raise tuition in the middle of the program screws up my planning.
To my knowledge, every school reserves the right to increase tuition from year to year and apply it to current students. It sucks, but it's just how the system works. Private schools do this just about every year, though typically in smaller increments. Raising tuition at a state school requires much more bureaucracy and oversight, so the shifts are usually less frequent but more substantial when they do happen.

I agree that it's confusing, though. CU's web site doesn't shine much more light on things, and the "planning letter" they sent is kind of a joke. Any current students who happen to be lurking here that can clarify this stuff would be much appreciated.

icarter

Bronze

Post by icarter » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:18 am

j.wellington wrote:
yellowfin wrote:This is what I thought before reading the Daily Camera:

To my knowledge, every school reserves the right to increase tuition from year to year and apply it to current students. It sucks, but it's just how the system works. Private schools do this just about every year, though typically in smaller increments. Raising tuition at a state school requires much more bureaucracy and oversight, so the shifts are usually less frequent but more substantial when they do happen.

I agree that it's confusing, though. CU's web site doesn't shine much more light on things, and the "planning letter" they sent is kind of a joke. Any current students who happen to be lurking here that can clarify this stuff would be much appreciated.
I have an email describing the tuition changes for current students however can't figure out how to upload the image to this site. However, the change for instate class of 2012 is $706 increase (23,560 this year to 24,264 next) and for the class of 2011 it is $126 (21960 this year to 22086 next year). Tuition is likely to increase each year however doesn't impact you as much once enrolled.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:06 pm

"First-year law students also pay a "differential tuition" rate, with the money helping the law school become more independent from state and campus funding, he said. Revenue from the differential tuition, a structure CU Law introduced five years ago, also helps fund scholarships."

Read more: CU tuition increase hitting law students hardest - Boulder Daily Camera http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_14789787? ... z0jrhcpjFO

I'm guessing that the numbers they post on their website are for first year students.

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:08 pm

KmissP wrote:"First-year law students also pay a "differential tuition" rate, with the money helping the lawl skool become more independent from state and campus funding, he said. Revenue from the differential tuition, a structure CU Law introduced five years ago, also helps fund scholarships."

Read more: CU tuition increase hitting law students hardest - Boulder Daily Camera http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_14789787? ... z0jrhcpjFO

Ok, that's HILARIOUS! I CUT AND PASTED from the Camera article. What happened to "law school"?

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:11 pm

Admissions page lists extended Deadline for JD reg decision to 2 April. Orignially it was 15 March.

Any ideas why? Snowpocalypse accommodation? Extreme disappointment in my application and hoping to get someone better before tomorrow?

http://www.colorado.edu/law/admissions/

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:12 pm

KmissP wrote:
KmissP wrote:"First-year law students also pay a "differential tuition" rate, with the money helping the lawl skool become more independent from state and campus funding, he said. Revenue from the differential tuition, a structure CU Law introduced five years ago, also helps fund scholarships."

Ok, that's HILARIOUS! I CUT AND PASTED from the Camera article. What happened to "lawl skool"?

Aprils Fools Day. TLS got you good. see: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=112994

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:23 pm

Awesome!

aleighp

New

Post by aleighp » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:16 pm

So, my nerves got the best of me when I took the LSAT in Dec '09 (147, but I was coming in at 159-160 on my PTs after taking practice tests in sections for about 2 months). My GPA is pretty high: 3.72 / 3.6 LSAC. I live in CO and didn't get into the two other local schools that I applied to, but somehow made CU's waitlist at the end of Feb. Now that I recently found out CU is my only last hope for law school this go around I am contemplating retaking the LSAT in June. I've read on some other threads that taking the test in June doesn't really help that much because the scores won't come in until sometime in July and by then it's kinda too late to get off of the waitlist. And, the law school may hold off on re-reviewing your file over the summer if they know you'll be retaking in June.
Any advice with either retaking the LSAT in June 2010, or??? I sent in my LOCI the first week of March (before I heard I didn't get in anywhere else), and one of my UG professors just said that she'll send in another LOR. Is there anything else I can do??

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:20 pm

I would retake, and reapply if you don't get in this year. I just don't think it can hurt you to retake it, even if they hold off on you until July. It looks like they were accepting people off the waitlist last July.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =9&t=74130

freebird

New

Post by freebird » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:41 pm

jdomash wrote:In as of last Monday....For those who received scholarships, how were you notified? And how long after being admitted were you notified?
The scholarship letters come via snail mail. I got mine in March and was admitted in early January. Good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:28 pm

waitlisted, prob gonna decline

Shlonster

Bronze

Post by Shlonster » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:32 pm

Visited on Friday, liked the school a lot, students were nice, class was interesting. Was handed my admit packet right before the tour which made it all the more exciting.

maximus32

New

Post by maximus32 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:13 am

Last edited by maximus32 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icarter

Bronze

Post by icarter » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:13 am

maximus32 wrote:Hey all,

Got the letter March 19th but since I live abroad didn't hear about it for a week. I can't have my brother transcribe the entire letter so wanted to get some sage advice from all of you.

Do they send the scholarship packet soon after the acceptance letter? Like should I get it before the first deposit is due or do I have to pay that first? The reason I ask is because I'm on a few waitlists but really like what I'm reading about Colorado. So it sort of depends on how much money they offer me.

And for you current students- if I moved there in August...could I reasonably expect to get in-state tuition by second year?
As far as the in-state tuition goes, Yes! I moved in August and my instate status was just approved for next year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”