In At Mercer Law Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
georgiaboy87

New

Re: In At Mercer Law

Post by georgiaboy87 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:32 pm

I just found out on Wednesday that I got in (153/3.73) and will be going there. My hometown is an hour south of Macon and while Macon is not the best place in the world, it is certainly not the worst.

BCgoUSC

New

Post by BCgoUSC » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:21 am

Random question but does anyone know when we will get mileage reimbursement for driving down for the scholars weekend this friday and saturday? Wasn't sure if they mailed a check afterwords or had one there - just wanted to plan accordingly

mango26

Bronze

Post by mango26 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:55 am

Last edited by mango26 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

burge104

New

Post by burge104 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Hey guys how did you hear from Mercer on your acceptance? My status checker was updated today to "decision mailed" which isn't the best sign. I would really love to go to Mercer, but my credientials aren't great.

Al Swearengen

New

Post by Al Swearengen » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:39 pm

burge104 wrote:Hey guys how did you hear from Mercer on your acceptance? My status checker was updated today to "decision mailed" which isn't the best sign. I would really love to go to Mercer, but my credientials aren't great.
The status changes to accepted if you got accepted, so not a good sign.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mas2488

New

Post by mas2488 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:02 am

Anyone have an estimate as far as time frame for a decision goes? I've been complete and ready for review for some time now.

Genericswingman

New

Post by Genericswingman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:35 am

Is anyone planning to attend the reception at King & Spalding in Atlanta next week?

bstrunk

New

Post by bstrunk » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:50 am

I just got a second invitation to that King and Spalding event, after sending my regrets with the first invitation.

KennyG

New

Post by KennyG » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:13 pm

Is anyone else considering paying sticker for Mercer? I like the school a lot and am considering sending in my deposit, but won't be getting any financial aid because I'm a splitter. I'm a little worried about taking out those kinds of loans on a tier 3 school. Anyone else wrestling with this decision?

Oh, and yeah I'll probably be at the King & Spalding event. Anyone else?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Genericswingman

New

Post by Genericswingman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm definitely interested in Mercer but also worried about the kind of restrictions that >$100K in debt places on a person.

I'm curious why you don't believe a splitter will receive any scholarship money?

(my assumption was that the scholarship committee would redistribute the scholarship money down after the first round of deposits...but that could be naive thinking)

burge104

New

Post by burge104 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:29 pm

I got rejected today... pretty disappointing. And Campbell accepted me into their Performcance Based Acceptance Program- I might have done poorly on the LSAT, but I'm not a f***ing idiot

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:10 pm

I too did not get any scholarship $$$$ from Mercer even after receiving several very generous scholarships to other schools. Even worse I'm an Alumni! :evil:

I refuse to pay sticker to go to Mercer so I'm out. I honestly do not regret my decision at all because of the job market in Georgia. I worry after graduating from there that jobs will be tough to come by.

I chose a school in the Midwest and there just is not any lack of jobs here.

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:11 pm

burge104 wrote:I got rejected today... pretty disappointing. And Campbell accepted me into their Performcance Based Acceptance Program- I might have done poorly on the LSAT, but I'm not a f***ing idiot
Hey study and take the LSAT again. It is a very learnable test if you have the time. Don't let crap like rejections get you down!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BCgoUSC

New

Post by BCgoUSC » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:43 pm

Does anyone know what the dress code is for the scholarship dinner tomorrow evening?

mango26

Bronze

Post by mango26 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:06 am

Last edited by mango26 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gutten

New

Post by gutten » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:55 am

I still want to see what you people did that got scholarship offers. I had scores well above the median in both and I didn't get one, so Mercer's out. I really don't know how you could go there without any scholarship money if you have an offer anywhere else. I don't really want to get out of school
$150,000 in debt, and have trouble finding a job, but maybe it's just me.

KennyG

New

Post by KennyG » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:47 am

Genericswingman wrote:
I'm curious why you don't believe a splitter will receive any scholarship money?

(my assumption was that the scholarship committee would redistribute the scholarship money down after the first round of deposits...but that could be naive thinking)
I emailed the lady in Financial aid and asked if I could be reconsidered for scholarships especially after the deposit deadline, and she responded "from a numbers perspective, scholarships are generally awarded to applicants that exceed both our Median LSAT and GPA. At this time, our committee has made all initial scholarship offers that it can."

My LSAT isn't killer, but it is still 5 points higher than their 75th percentile, so I thought that would give me some consideration for some money, (as people with high 150's LSAT scores got money according to LSN) but apparently not. I guess they like more well-rounded applicants than higher scoring LSAT applicants.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pasadenagal

New

Post by pasadenagal » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:01 am

KennyG wrote: I emailed the lady in Financial aid and asked if I could be reconsidered for scholarships especially after the deposit deadline, and she responded "from a numbers perspective, scholarships are generally awarded to applicants that exceed both our Median LSAT and GPA. At this time, our committee has made all initial scholarship offers that it can."

My LSAT isn't killer, but it is still 5 points higher than their 75th percentile, so I thought that would give me some consideration for some money, (as people with high 150's LSAT scores got money according to LSN) but apparently not. I guess they like more well-rounded applicants than higher scoring LSAT applicants.
For what it's worth, I was awarded full tuition to Mercer. My LSAT and GPA were above median... but not by that much at all. What I had going for me, I think, were my soft factors, which admissions probably felt were "well-rounded," as you said.
Last edited by pasadenagal on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Genericswingman

New

Post by Genericswingman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:17 am

Man, I hate to hear that kinda news about scholarships.

gutten

New

Post by gutten » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:18 pm

I don't know what they considered, I have great softs and high numbers, but I might not have met some of the other criteria, whatever that may be. Who knows, either way I don't think the scholarships would have taken it down enough to come close to in-state at the other schools. That's too bad, I kind of liked Mercer for location and atmosphere.

Genericswingman

New

Post by Genericswingman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:47 am

Does anyone know if the King & Spalding reception is solely a 'meet-n-greet' or is there a speaker, etc.?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mountaineerlaw

New

Post by mountaineerlaw » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Just withdrew from the accepted pool - hopefully that'll open up a spot for someone. I can't justify going to Mercer at full retail, even though I really liked it this weekend.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:29 pm

Withdrew last week.
mountaineerlaw wrote:Just withdrew from the accepted pool - hopefully that'll open up a spot for someone. I can't justify going to Mercer at full retail...
Same here. I really liked Mercer, but no way I would pay sticker (34K!) for the 4th best LS in Georgia.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:24 pm

deadpanic wrote:Withdrew last week.
mountaineerlaw wrote:Just withdrew from the accepted pool - hopefully that'll open up a spot for someone. I can't justify going to Mercer at full retail...
Same here. I really liked Mercer, but no way I would pay sticker (34K!) for the 4th best LS in Georgia.
Speaking of that, is it insane that I have (in the back of my mind) a small consideration for Mercer still in mind? I've gotten full or near full ride offers from several T30s, but Mercer's Full+5k @ whatever still strikes me as appealing. I don't think I could handle living or working in Macon, but I really liked the school and atmosphere. Of course, that was based on two days of exposure under ideal conditions.

mas2488

New

Post by mas2488 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:54 pm

I hope to hear from Mercer soon. I would like to go there this fall.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”