THE Ohio State University 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kartal

Bronze

Re: THE Ohio State University 2013

Post by kartal » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:49 am

twalamanana wrote:here you guys go- i just started an OSU taking questions thread for anyone interested: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=110011
I appreciate if you can answer the following questions:

1. What is the typical section size?

2. How is the grading curve at your law school?

3. Do you see your law school as a cut-throat (very competitive) school or not so?

4. Does the school use the Socratic method?

5. What is your favorite part about your law school?

6. Why are you glad you chose your law school over some of the other options that you had? What were your other options?

7. Does the faculty lean more liberal or conservative? How about the student body?

8. How do you rate the facilities (school, law library)?

Thanks in advance.

kartal

Bronze

Post by kartal » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:58 am

kartal wrote:
twalamanana wrote:here you guys go- i just started an OSU taking questions thread for anyone interested: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=110011
I appreciate if you can answer the following questions:

1. What is the typical section size?

2. How is the grading curve at your law school?

3. Do you see your law school as a cut-throat (very competitive) school or not so?

4. Does the school use the Socratic method?

5. What is your favorite part about your law school?

6. Why are you glad you chose your law school over some of the other options that you had? What were your other options?

7. Does the faculty lean more liberal or conservative? How about the student body?

8. How do you rate the facilities (school, law library)?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I should have posted this on the other thread but I posted here by accident. Now, I posted it on the other thread as well.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:28 pm

Notor wrote: They have to use the same criteria to judge everyone. Frankly it doesn't matter how high your LSAT is, so long as it's above 163, which is what they are shooting for the median to be this year. So basically you give them an above median LSAT and a GPA that is way below 25th. Someone with 3.7/165 is more valuable to them than your 3.0/175 for statistical purposes, and their scholarship offers reflect that.
So let me get this straight. A 175 that is 12 points above median is only of marginal value, while a 3.0 that is .6 pts below median is a huge detriment? That seems inconsistent. It's also misleading to say they use the same criteria to judge everyone. Unless, everyone who doesn't have post-grad work, WE etc is dinged because of that. While many applications look similar, they're obviously not all equal. But even conceding this point, the purpose of the LSAT is to be an objective metric for admissions.

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:32 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Notor wrote: They have to use the same criteria to judge everyone. Frankly it doesn't matter how high your LSAT is, so long as it's above 163, which is what they are shooting for the median to be this year. So basically you give them an above median LSAT and a GPA that is way below 25th. Someone with 3.7/165 is more valuable to them than your 3.0/175 for statistical purposes, and their scholarship offers reflect that.
So let me get this straight. A 175 that is 12 points above median is only of marginal value, while a 3.0 that is .6 pts below median is a huge detriment? That seems inconsistent. It's also misleading to say they use the same criteria to judge everyone. Unless, everyone who doesn't have post-grad work, WE etc is dinged because of that. While many applications look similar, they're obviously not all equal. But even conceding this point, the purpose of the LSAT is to be an objective metric for admissions.
For rankings purposes it does not matter how much above median you are, only that you are above median. Since USNWR uses 75th-25th scale, your 175 doesn't do all that much because it is not going to be that 75th number. This isn't to say that you are a poor applicant, and I am not putting you down, just stating a reality about the numbers. OSU has to report your LSDAS GPA, which is 3.0.

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:04 pm

Notor wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
For rankings purposes it does not matter how much above median you are, only that you are above median. Since USNWR uses 75th-25th scale, your 175 doesn't do all that much because it is not going to be that 75th number. This isn't to say that you are a poor applicant, and I am not putting you down, just stating a reality about the numbers. OSU has to report your LSDAS GPA, which is 3.0.
I'm actually with homestyle28 on this. I was given 10K/year with a 3.08/163. I also have additional undergrad classes post my degree (bringing my cumulative UGPA up to a 3.38, but that doesn't count to LSAC especially since I graduated with a 3.08). I'm a Peace Corps Volunteer with an MA and several years of work experience, but the softs are really the only reason I can think of as to why they gave me $$. To say I'm the exception and homestyle28 isn't doesn't really make sense. At all. His LSAT his higher, as is his post grad scores. If his original undergrad was a solid 3.0, I can't imagine that .08 makes the difference between scholarship money or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

07ggfa5

New

Post by 07ggfa5 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:12 am

Accepted via e-mail today!! I'm hoping for some $$ but not too optimistic given my 3.1 LSDAS GPA...

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:54 am

Anyone else receive a financial aid email requesting additional documents? I wonder if this is holding up my application?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:09 pm

keemos wrote:Anyone else receive a financial aid email requesting additional documents? I wonder if this is holding up my application?
Got this e-mail after being admitted. I'm pretty sure the admissions people and financial aid people run in seperate spheres.

07ggfa5

New

Post by 07ggfa5 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:01 pm

So was anyone who's not an OSU undergrad able to view your To-Do-List for FAFSA verification? It keeps taking me to a log-in page but I don't have an OSU ID!!! I tried calling them but after a 25 min hold I gave up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:26 pm

07ggfa5 wrote:So was anyone who's not an OSU undergrad able to view your To-Do-List for FAFSA verification? It keeps taking me to a log-in page but I don't have an OSU ID!!! I tried calling them but after a 25 min hold I gave up.

You should have gotten an OSU Id and password with the initial email they send you saying they got your application

07ggfa5

New

Post by 07ggfa5 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:35 pm

keemos wrote:
07ggfa5 wrote:So was anyone who's not an OSU undergrad able to view your To-Do-List for FAFSA verification? It keeps taking me to a log-in page but I don't have an OSU ID!!! I tried calling them but after a 25 min hold I gave up.

You should have gotten an OSU Id and password with the initial email they send you saying they got your application
I totally forgot about that e-mail. Thanks!

bworsowicz

New

Post by bworsowicz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:07 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:I cannot imagine going to Capital. it's expensive, ranked poorly, and in a part of town I don't like. Nothing wrong with that part of town, I just don't like it.
Capital's annual student budget estimate exceeds OSU's by $4,174. It is also the only other law school in the area, ranked poorly or otherwise. If you plan on leaving Columbus or working for one of the larger midlaw/"big"law firms in the area, however, Moritz is still the place for you.

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:43 pm

bworsowicz wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:I cannot imagine going to Capital. it's expensive, ranked poorly, and in a part of town I don't like. Nothing wrong with that part of town, I just don't like it.
Capital's annual student budget estimate exceeds OSU's by $4,174. It is also the only other law school in the area, ranked poorly or otherwise.
Those are positives?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:50 pm

Notor wrote:
bworsowicz wrote:
Capital's annual student budget estimate exceeds OSU's by $4,174. It is also the only other law school in the area, ranked poorly or otherwise.
Those are positives?
I think it's clear that out of pocket Capital doesn't make sense compared to OSU. My hunch is that Moritz's actual costs trump costs at capital for applicants accepted at both places. Right now, OSU would cost me 18k or so more a year than Capital. That factor, coupled with Capital being the only PT option might make it make sense for some.

And to be fair to CULS, they know that they're a tier 4. But as TTTT's go, you could do a lot worse.

In non-LS news, who's got the bucks beating Kansas?

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:09 pm

homestyle28 wrote: In non-LS news, who's got the bucks beating Kansas?
Me!

I have them winning it all... Go Bucks!

sunshinefairy

Bronze

Post by sunshinefairy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:21 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Notor wrote:
bworsowicz wrote:
Those are positives?
I think it's clear that out of pocket Capital doesn't make sense compared to OSU. My hunch is that Moritz's actual costs trump costs at capital for applicants accepted at both places. Right now, OSU would cost me 18k or so more a year than Capital. That factor, coupled with Capital being the only PT option might make it make sense for some.

And to be fair to CULS, they know that they're a tier 4. But as TTTT's go, you could do a lot worse.

In non-LS news, who's got the bucks beating Kansas?
I got into Capital as well with $ - I agree that the PT option makes sense - Capital is in the top 50 part time programs. I visited the school last year and the location seemed accessible to downtown, the short north, and the arena district. The building is older, but nice, and staff/students were accessible and open. Being out of undergrad for almost 5 years, Mortiz's location directly on the undergrad campus makes me a bit apprehensive.

bworsowicz

New

Post by bworsowicz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:29 pm

sarlis wrote:I have them winning it all... Go Bucks!
I also have them winning it all. My bracket always looks better in years when they don't make the tournament...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crm

Bronze

Post by crm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:33 pm

It's kind of shitty, they play UCSB in the first round, which is my UG alma mater and I will probably be at OSU in the fall..

OSU is going to kill UCSB, but I am still conflicted.

kartal

Bronze

Post by kartal » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:43 pm

sarlis wrote:
homestyle28 wrote: In non-LS news, who's got the bucks beating Kansas?
Me!

I have them winning it all... Go Bucks!
Me too.. GO BUCKS all the way!

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:27 am

rejected outright by my alma mater (165, 2.97). I had a 3.65 at Ohio State, my GPA was dragged down by previous coursework years earlier. Oh well, I still love the buckeyes.

xeckosk8trx

New

Post by xeckosk8trx » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:11 am

Still waiting to hear back from OSU. Lets hope another decision batch comes out soon.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TrackTony88

Bronze

Post by TrackTony88 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Waitlisted, but I will be withdrawing my waitlist anyways after the decision e-mail I was sent.
I feel so special to be known as Preferred name lol.

Dear ##PREFERRED_NAME##:

The Moritz College of Law's Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application for admissions. Although the Committee concluded that you are a competitive applicant, an offer of admission cannot be made to you at this time because the entering class appears to be filled. As in previous years, some students will decline our offer; therefore, we have created the waitlist group to whom we may be able to make offers of admission later this summer. In some years, only a handful of waitlist candidates have been offered admission, while in other years there have been quite a few. Unfortunately, it is difficult to predict how many alternates will be offered admission this year. With that in mind, you are advised to do whatever is necessary to secure a place that might have been offered by another law school.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:18 pm

bworsowicz wrote:
sarlis wrote:I have them winning it all... Go Bucks!
I also have them winning it all. My bracket always looks better in years when they don't make the tournament...
Same here. I just can't bring myself not to pick them...I had them winning it all a few years ago when Terrence Dials was POY. So they've been screwing me up for years...also I'm old! Who else remembers scoonie penn?

gugi13

New

Post by gugi13 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:44 pm

or ken johnson and boban savovic :) ?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:14 pm

gugi13 wrote:or ken johnson and boban savovic :) ?
Man, I loved me some Boban! Too bad about the whole recruiting/$$ from Coach O'brien!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”