U of San Diego Fall 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Fletch

New

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Post by Fletch » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:40 pm

In at USD P/T.

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:43 pm

Fletch wrote:In at USD P/T.
Numbers?

barrel_bra

New

Post by barrel_bra » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:55 pm

When did you apply and go complete?

Were you notified on the status checker or via snail mail? Thanks and Congrats!!

Fletch

New

Post by Fletch » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:46 pm

barrel_bra wrote:

When did you apply and go complete?

Were you notified on the status checker or via snail mail? Thanks and Congrats!!
File went complete on 03/09/10, Decision Rendered on 03/19/10.

Got an email this morning and an envelope in the mail this afternoon.

jkh

New

Post by jkh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:48 pm

Mind sharing your #s? When did you apply?
Last edited by jkh on Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

star10

New

Post by star10 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:48 pm

for anyone who visited yesterday for ASD what were your thoughts?

also, looking for some opinions...

Would a tier 3 (McGeorge or SW) at 75% scholly be better than attending USD at sticker?

I'm super conflicted so any advice would be great :)

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:51 pm

star10 wrote:for anyone who visited yesterday for ASD what were your thoughts?

Would a tier 3 (McGeorge or SW) at 75% scholly be better than attending USD at sticker?

Do you think the job market will improve in 2 years?

If yes -> Go to next question
If no -> Take the money

Do you want to practice in San Diego?

If yes -> Go USD
If not -> Take the money

star10

New

Post by star10 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:54 pm

I'm not sure where I am going to end up...definitely in CA...more inclined to Northern CA (where I grew up)

I don't want to be rankings obsessed but at times I wonder how important rankings are (esp once you move into Tier 2 territory) and if I should forego $$$ to go to the best school I got into (USD or Loyola at this point) or just keep costs down and take the scholarship at a lower ranked school

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:59 pm

star10 wrote:I'm not sure where I am going to end up...definitely in CA...more inclined to Northern CA (where I grew up)

I don't want to be rankings obsessed but at times I wonder how important rankings are (esp once you move into Tier 2 territory) and if I should forego $$$ to go to the best school I got into (USD or Loyola at this point) or just keep costs down and take the scholarship at a lower ranked school
Tier 2 is very regional. I wouldn't count on USD getting you a NorCal gig, especially with Stanford/Davis/Hastings/Santa Clara etc all in NorCal. I'd take the money and hope you score something in NorCal, but your job persuit will be a tough one, you need to be very pro-active.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:01 pm

star10 wrote:for anyone who visited yesterday for ASD what were your thoughts?

What are your scholarships contingent upon?

Every school you listed is regional, so I suggest visiting the regions you will spend the next three years of your life, not to mention at least several more after you graduate, seeing as none will give you much portability.

star10

New

Post by star10 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:06 pm

McGeorge has no stipulations and SW is a top 1/3...

I'm still waiting on Santa Clara and Davis...boooo

USD is so tempting because it's gorgeous (both the campus and city) but I don't think I want to be stuck in San Diego.

I've pretty much ruled out Loyola/SW/Pepp (WL) because LA...well let's just say I'm not a fan...

I got into USF but can't justify sticker price plus SF COL...so it's pretty much between USD and McGeorge at this point (unless I get into Davis...fingers crossed)

Sorry this post was kind of all over the place, kind of like my brain has been for the 7 months. Ughhh.

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:14 pm

star10 wrote:McGeorge has no stipulations and SW is a top 1/3...

USD is so tempting because it's gorgeous (both the campus and city) but I don't think I want to be stuck in San Diego.

I've pretty much ruled out Loyola/SW/Pepp (WL) because LA...well let's just say I'm not a fan...

I got into USF but can't justify sticker price plus SF COL...so it's pretty much between USD and McGeorge at this point (unless I get into Davis...fingers crossed)

Sorry this post was kind of all over the place, kind of like my brain has been for the 7 months. Ughhh.
What exactly are your interests?

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:17 pm

star10 wrote:McGeorge has no stipulations and SW is a top 1/3...

I would say that all of your options are regional.

Would you rather work in San Diego or Sacramento?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

star10

New

Post by star10 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:26 pm

Sorry for sort of taking over the thread...I'm being really productive at work today obviously lol...

I guess if it came to Sacramento or SD if I was stuck there after graduation, I'd choose Sacramento (weird, I know...) But I'm still holding out hope I'll end up in the Bay Area eventually...

Right now I'm leaning towards environmental law...but of course that could change. I'm interested in getting into politics, perhaps being a lobbyist, so in that regard Sacramento makes more sense....

Still USD is really tempting...Just trying to sort through if higher rank=more options....

There's still a small part of me that wants to retake the LSAT and have another go at Hastings, but that probably isn't going to happen...

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:30 pm

star10 wrote:Sorry for sort of taking over the thread...I'm being really productive at work today obviously lol...

I guess if it came to Sacramento or SD if I was stuck there after graduation, I'd choose Sacramento (weird, I know...) But I'm still holding out hope I'll end up in the Bay Area eventually...

Right now I'm leaning towards environmental law...but of course that could change. I'm interested in getting into politics, perhaps being a lobbyist, so in that regard Sacramento makes more sense....

Still USD is really tempting...Just trying to sort through if higher rank=more options....

There's still a small part of me that wants to retake the LSAT and have another go at Hastings, but that probably isn't going to happen...
retaking could change so much.

I retook after crashing through last cycle and this year has been 100 million times better. Probably the best education oriented decision I've ever made.

But, if you are happy with working in Sac, the money at Pacific is really too much to turn down for sticker at USD.

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:54 pm

star10 wrote:Sorry for sort of taking over the thread...I'm being really productive at work today obviously lol...

The reality…it comes down to which region you would rather be stuck in during and after law school. Generally speaking, SD and Sacramento are relatively insulated, more so with Sacramento I think. I have a feeling that many so called insulated regions will(have) become less so, as the economy is what it is.

Given your political interests, Sacramento is clearly a great option, plus the 75%(over 3 yrs?) is a lot of money. I don't think the additional cost of attending USD, which is substantial, justifies the(MAYBE) slight increase in opportunities.

What are your numbers? I you don’t mind waiting a year and retaking, that might be a good idea, especially if you think an acceptance from Davis and/or more scholly money is feasible.

Snazzygirl

New

Post by Snazzygirl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:26 pm

dalancas wrote:Been complete at USD for 4 months today and still haven't been reviewed yet. WTF...
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:25 pm

I went to the ASD. I was impressed with the campus, but not its surroundings, although it doesn't seem like that will matter much since you're overlooking the area on a hill, not integrated with its streets. Sweet soccer field. Parking structure is right next to the law school which is in turn really close to the campus center and admin buildings. Gives it a very small school feel.

The professors seem both experienced/credentialed and competent instructors. Sometimes you get the former without the latter. Robert Portnoy showed up to the campus lunch, he did a Daily Show appearance for his book Matchmen. That impressed me. The prof at my lunch table also mentioned that one of the other profs was somewhat famous in the field of criminal procedure. So its cool that their top professors show up to campus functions.

Other students didn't seem too gunnerish. I have to mention that the prospective female students were very attractive, because it was so remarkable. Wish my UG would have been like that. Also, during the Socratic seminar, the people who commented had interesting things to say.

pez0182

New

Post by pez0182 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:48 pm

twert wrote:i'm giving up on USD and sending my deposit to Chapman. good luck people.

Same. I've been complete at USD for three months and still nothing. Chapman reviewed my application in two weeks and gave me a good amount of money.

holidayfromreal

New

Post by holidayfromreal » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:14 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:I went to the ASD. I was impressed with the campus, but not its surroundings, although it doesn't seem like that will matter much since you're overlooking the area on a hill, not integrated with its streets. Sweet soccer field. Parking structure is right next to the law school which is in turn really close to the campus center and admin buildings. Gives it a very small school feel.

The professors seem both experienced/credentialed and competent instructors. Sometimes you get the former without the latter. Robert Portnoy showed up to the campus lunch, he did a Daily Show appearance for his book Matchmen. That impressed me. The prof at my lunch table also mentioned that one of the other profs was somewhat famous in the field of criminal procedure. So its cool that their top professors show up to campus functions.

Other students didn't seem too gunnerish. I have to mention that the prospective female students were very attractive, because it was so remarkable. Wish my UG would have been like that. Also, during the Socratic seminar, the people who commented had interesting things to say.
thanks for your opinion, I'm on the east coast and it's hard to visit so if anyone else has any review that would be awesome

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:09 pm

^^^^^
I wrote this a couple pages back from my visit!
Veritas wrote:went to the ASD today at USD (met some v. cool people)

employment stats are coming in at 92% employed at graduation for 2009 (no breakdown on the type of work except 4% in grad programs)

umm, the talked about the weather a lot, and I mean it was like their #1 selling point it seemed.

Professors seem really awesome, tbh. Good community feel from the students and the profs, everyone was pretty engaging.

Career services seems really gung-ho. The lady in charge of Career services is really impressive. NU grad, Jones Day associate and recruiter - very cool lady.

If there was something that really impressed me, it would have to be the sense of community. It also felt like students are really well supported. I heard more than once about academic support being really excellent and career services has adjusted to the current market (trying to reach USD grads into other markets, like a LA hiring program)

Scholarships are kind of in a hold pattern right now, waiting for deposits. They do plan on sending out more. Also, if you do well your first year you can get full tuition for second and third year (like if you end up in the top 10% or so and keep it up). If you end up falling out of the top 10% your scholarship goes back to whatever scholarship bracket you fall in to.

While at the end of the day I was able to decide that USD prolly isn't going to be my school of choice, I think it's a terrific institution and one that will serve you well in San Diego and So Cal, in general.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:58 pm

I have been complete since 10/29 with no update. :?

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:25 am

I know how you feel about trying to judge the place from afar. I'm glad I went. I can totally see myself going there now, where before it was a mystery. I wish they had a 3D campus tour online.

If you have any specific questions I'm sure Veritas and I would be happy to throw in our two cents. A couple of things I thought of were that the Mock court thing we watched was really interesting and made me want to try out for it. Also, the campus is pretty centrally located so that you can live wherever in SD. I wouldn't get an apartment 2 min away, since getting around the city is pretty easy. I'd go downtown or maybe Mission Beach.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:20 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:I know how you feel about trying to judge the place from afar. I'm glad I went. I can totally see myself going there now, where before it was a mystery. I wish they had a 3D campus tour online.

If you have any specific questions I'm sure Veritas and I would be happy to throw in our two cents. A couple of things I thought of were that the Mock court thing we watched was really interesting and made me want to try out for it. Also, the campus is pretty centrally located so that you can live wherever in SD. I wouldn't get an apartment 2 min away, since getting around the city is pretty easy. I'd go downtown or maybe Mission Beach.
Thanks for the write up. I might have to head down there for a visit. Are there any more ASD planned?

I think it would take some fin aid to get me to come, though. Pretty expensive at sticker. Lot of people with my numbers on LSN seemed to have gotten 15k a year, though it appears they can't really offer much at the moment.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:44 am

missinglink wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:I know how you feel about trying to judge the place from afar. I'm glad I went. I can totally see myself going there now, where before it was a mystery. I wish they had a 3D campus tour online.

Thanks for the write up. I might have to head down there for a visit. Are there any more ASD planned?

I think it would take some fin aid to get me to come, though. Pretty expensive at sticker. Lot of people with my numbers on LSN seemed to have gotten 15k a year, though it appears they can't really offer much at the moment.

There's one on April 12th. As I've reported before, they're still giving out grants. Perhaps the number will increase after 4/1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”