Vanderbilt 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:01 pm

MarkRenton wrote:...4.0's do sometimes find a way to overcome LSAT's that are a few points below the median.
In typical fashion, numbers are king here in TLS land... But seriously, the point you're making is obvious. A good GPA OFTEN overcomes LSATs that are below the median. I invite you to look at the 25% LSAT scores of top schools. Berkeley wins with a solidly low 164. Duke 165. UCLA 164. UT 164. And do not tell me that these are all URMs. That is simply incorrect.

Hence, high GPAs overcoming low LSATs is a rule, not an exception. And, nowhere in the data can you point to a 4.0 being any more "magical" than a 3.90. If anything, the strength of one's UG institution is a much more relevant "hidden" factor than "Ommmigosh he/she has a 4.0... get out the golden stationary..."

(Sorry for sounding like a C, but I'm just so sick of hearing hearsay about the numbers. Peoples' points about numbers at the median mattering are certainly correct though.)

-HL
Last edited by Hopefullawstudent on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:02 pm

rocross1 wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:Take a look at some LSN's, when a score is 3 points below the median, you normally see a lot of red dots. Except for the 4.0's, a bunch of them always sneak in. This is true at a lot of schools. Like, I think Michigan always takes a bunch of 166/4.0's. It really shows a lot of determination and consistency. Plus, 4.0's are just so rare. It really plays like a great soft factor.
Is my 3.98 really different then a 4.0 I mean really? I have never recieved a B in my college career and I have only gotten two A-'s I don't think it is different.
I'm sure you'll be viewed just like a 4.0. I was trying to theorize about such minute differences - just making a general point. Also, I'm sure many of the 4.0's who report great acceptances on LSN are actually 3.98's who chose to round up.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:...4.0's do sometimes find a way to overcome LSAT's that are a few points below the median.
In typical fashion, numbers are king here in TLS land... But seriously, the point you're making is obvious. A good GPA OFTEN overcomes LSATs that are below the median. I invite you to look at the 25% LSAT scores of top schools. Berkeley wins with a solidly low 164. Duke 165. UCLA 164. UT 164. And do not tell me that these are all URMs. That is simply incorrect.

Hence, high GPAs overcoming low LSATs is a rule, not an exception. And, nowhere in the data can you point to a 4.0 being any more "magical" than a 3.90. If anything, the strength of one's UG institution is a much more relevant "hidden" factor than "Ommmigosh he/she has a 4.0... get out the golden stationary..."

(Sorry for sounding like a C, but I'm just so sick of hearing hearsay about the numbers. Peoples' points about numbers at the median mattering are certainly correct though.)

-HL
I disagree, I think institution matters less than people would like to believe. But you're right to point out that this is largely all hearsay. Everything that we (all of us) say has to be taken with skepticism. I'm only speaking from what I've witnessed - take it for what it's worth.

rocross1

Bronze

Post by rocross1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:07 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
rocross1 wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:Take a look at some LSN's, when a score is 3 points below the median, you normally see a lot of red dots. Except for the 4.0's, a bunch of them always sneak in. This is true at a lot of schools. Like, I think Michigan always takes a bunch of 166/4.0's. It really shows a lot of determination and consistency. Plus, 4.0's are just so rare. It really plays like a great soft factor.
Is my 3.98 really different then a 4.0 I mean really? I have never recieved a B in my college career and I have only gotten two A-'s I don't think it is different.
I'm sure you'll be viewed just like a 4.0. I was trying to theorize about such minute differences - just making a general point. Also, I'm sure many of the 4.0's who report great acceptances on LSN are actually 3.98's who chose to round up.
I think Im just gonna start rounding everything, bills down and grades up.

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:16 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:

-HL
I disagree, I think institution matters less than people would like to believe. But you're right to point out that this is largely all hearsay. Everything that we (all of us) say has to be taken with skepticism. I'm only speaking from what I've witnessed - take it for what it's worth.
Not to start an argument here, but I will tell you that of all of the T20s outside of HYS, I have it on very good word that Vandy cares rather significantly where you went to UG. It is part of the "what is your pedigree?" culture at Vandy among other things.

I haven't verified this, but the word in Chicago is that graduating from Michigan UG is a "soft" factor at Vandy. I know many Michigan UG alums in the Chicago area who applied to Vandy. Of the five that applied, four were admitted. Granted, this may be a coincidence. But strange to hear such a random rumor even exists.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:18 pm

I trust you on that. I was talking more in general, but this is a Vandy thread.

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Decision mailed 1/7!! I'm nervous

cr073137

Bronze

Post by cr073137 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Decision mailed 01/07!!! Is there any way I can find out before? Should I call?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:24 pm

cr073137 wrote:Decision mailed 01/07!!! Is there any way I can find out before? Should I call?
Go on a 4 day bender

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:25 pm

cr073137 wrote:Decision mailed 01/07!!! Is there any way I can find out before? Should I call?
What are your stats? I'm curious to see what #'s got DM today.

Chromakey

New

Post by Chromakey » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Decision 1/7!!!! I had to check three times just to make sure that little box actually had a date in it. Been complete since 10/16. There's an ugly knot in my stomach that I guess I'll have to live with for the next six or seven days. God, I'm nervous :?

cr073137

Bronze

Post by cr073137 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:31 pm

tram988 wrote:
What are your stats? I'm curious to see what #'s got DM today.
Hahaaha, yeah... I'm a big splitter, way over 75th in GPA, way under 25th in LSAT. But I have really good softs, (and Im not just saying that) LOR from the school president (which was also my honors senior thesis adviser). And an very important director of a research center where I work. I'm URN and int'l student. Also winner of several national, international, and school wide awards. And I worked on my PS and DS for over 2 months (Im in love with them). I interviewed, and met the dean and talked with him for a long time on one occasion.

But my friend from my school got in with similar scores and with less softs, so will see.

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Yeah I consider myself in the same category-- great softs/LOR's/ PS. I am not an URM however. We will see. Hopefully we both get in!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Chromakey wrote:Decision 1/7!!!! I had to check three times just to make sure that little box actually had a date in it. Been complete since 10/16. There's an ugly knot in my stomach that I guess I'll have to live with for the next six or seven days. God, I'm nervous :?
To help focus our anxiety. If it's an admit package, it's supposed to take 2-4 days to reach you. If it's a letter, it'll probably be 4-7 days. So if you don't hear in 4 days, that's the appropriate time to start freaking out.

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:35 pm

holydonkey wrote:
Chromakey wrote:Decision 1/7!!!! I had to check three times just to make sure that little box actually had a date in it. Been complete since 10/16. There's an ugly knot in my stomach that I guess I'll have to live with for the next six or seven days. God, I'm nervous :?
To help focus our anxiety. If it's an admit package, it's supposed to take 2-4 days to reach you. If it's a letter, it'll probably be 4-7 days. So if you don't hear in 4 days, that's the appropriate time to start freaking out.
Great! Do they send the admit package priority mail?

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:36 pm

holydonkey wrote:
Or, if it's me, it'll be who knows when no matter what. :/ I don't go back to school until the 24th, and I'm not sure how often they forward mail home.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:39 pm

tram988 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
Great! Do they send the admit package priority mail?
yes

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cr073137

Bronze

Post by cr073137 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Does anyone knows if they say any information if we call? I mean, I know they dont like it when people do that if you are admitted, what can they do revoke it? and if you were rejected, at least now you know, they cant reject you twice! I have never felt so anxious, I like surprises, but is not really a surprise if they already told me its in the mail.

panadera

Bronze

Post by panadera » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:49 pm

cr073137 wrote:Does anyone knows if they say any information if we call? I mean, I know they dont like it when people do that if you are admitted, what can they do revoke it? and if you were rejected, at least now you know, they cant reject you twice! I have never felt so anxious, I like surprises, but is not really a surprise if they already told me its in the mail.
No they won't. I'm away from both my current and permanent address and won't be back to them until July. I called and they said that the only way you can get your decision is in the packet they send.

I didn't tell them my name or any information so I doubt this is a "I won't tell you because I don't want to reject you on the phone" thing.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:54 pm

If you're not going to be around for a substantial amount of time, like July, maybe one could switch their official address and then ask for a copy of the decision to be remailed.

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:54 pm

Good luck to all of you!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

panadera

Bronze

Post by panadera » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:58 pm

MarkRenton wrote:If you're not going to be around for a substantial amount of time, like July, maybe one could switch their official address and then ask for a copy of the decision to be remailed.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm actually working on all that right now. But my first thought was to call and ask, and then do the actual logical steps next. (Like finding a new address first.)

I'm assuming it's a bad decision and am holding off asking a friend to head to my house and read it when it arrives.

But thank you again Mark. And good luck to any other applicants!

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:05 pm

still at complete since 10/30...

good luck!!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:12 pm

hey could you tell me when you went complete?

statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:17 pm

Decision sent today as well. I am 166 and 3.8 complete on 11/20

There have been no rejects posted on lawschoolnumbers as of yet. Good or bad sign for us?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”